↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Rustproofing fuel tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Rustproofing fuel tank
So I've bought a new fuel tank for my 90 as the MOT is coming up and my old tank is leaking.

I plan on giving it a coat of red oxide primer and then some stonechip. I do not plan on going overboard with it and If by painting it first I get another year or two out of it that would be great!

What do you guys suggest I do about the gap between the tank and the outer skin. As far as I'm aware this is how they rust with moisture getting trapped in between and I was thinking of sealing the edges with black silicone sealant but as it's not that strong I worry if the seal breaks and mositure gets in and I make things worse.

Thanks!

Click image to enlarge
Post #857927 24th Sep 2020 6:43pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I wouldn’t bother with paint on that, as none of it will get to where it’s needed anyway. I would use Dinitrol ML to get in all the bits you can’t access in the crevices. Once that’s had chance to do its thing creeping in for day or two, go over the whole whole lot with Dinitrol 4941 to give a nice black finish. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #857931 24th Sep 2020 7:09pm
Litch

England 
Did my new tank earlier in the year when I fitting the new chassis.

The paint on new tanks is not very good, pretty thin where you can see it and non-existent where you can't.
I keyed the new tank and after de-greasing ran some etch primer into the void between the tank & shield. After that I gave it a couple of coats of Frosts Chassis Black Extreme (Satin) and finally gave it a good coating of Waxoyl making sure that it ran through the void by constantly rotating the tank and feeding in more Waxoyl (needless to say this was done on a nice warm day when the Waxoyl was flowing freely).
The heat used to make the Waxoyl flow freely will not happen when the tank is in use as it is shielded by the bodywork and the fuel acts as a massive heatsink.

I did a similar thing to the original tank back in 1999, the MOD had fitted a new (genuine) tank prior to release and seeing that the paint was not up to much I treated it in the same way with paint & Waxoyl but in those days I used Smoothrite.
On removing the tank this year I could see that it was still in remarkable condition and would probably have been good for another 10+years but I replaced it anyway. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #857965 24th Sep 2020 9:03pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
the paint on the the tank inst really paint more of a coating to stop it rusting before its sold. rub it back paint it better.

then we wax proof everything and add some under seal or stone chip on the front edge were all the muck hits.

don't both sealing the edge sup as muck will get in . we run a hose up there now and again and re wax it most years
Post #858067 25th Sep 2020 12:42pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
we had a tank supplied the other day on a rechassis build, it had 3 holes in it from new! not including the ones that should be there. lesson learnt supply your own tank and look inside before fitting! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #858088 25th Sep 2020 3:35pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Does no one do an aluminium tank?
Post #858130 25th Sep 2020 7:08pm
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Do you have any friends in the aircraft industry?

We use something that's like syrup that you put inside the tank, preferably with a brush, but you can roll the tank in all axis.
This gives a excellent coating that protects the inside from corrosion.

On the outside I'll just give it a nice paint job.
Post #858288 26th Sep 2020 7:07pm
KiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Thanks guys. Gonna give it a coat of paint and try and dinitrol between the layers. If it last a little bit longer than it will be worth it!

That inside tank sealer does seem quite a good idea, I shone a touch into the tank and couldn't see any holes so fingers crossed it will be all ok. Think it's a allmakes4x4 brand.
Post #858437 27th Sep 2020 7:00pm
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
its the Seam where they"re pressed together that mostly leak , am on my 3 rd tank, all have leaked at the seam,,not rust,,
Post #859438 2nd Oct 2020 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1