↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Exmoor Trim Heated Seat wiring routes and relay positions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CallumB

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Exmoor Trim Heated Seat wiring routes and relay positions
Good morning learned Defender community. I've spent a good couple of hours scouring previous posts Confused but can't see any that provide definitive answers regarding the use of just the Exmoor Trim supplied looms and relays with the High/Low switches in a 2007 to 2011 poverty spec Puma. Even YouTube has failed to provide any pointers Shocked So, any help on the following would be greatly appreciated:

1) Where's best to mount the Exmoor switches Question I want to mount them on my cubby box as easy to drill 20mm holes in plywood.
2) Where's best to mount the relays Question
3) Where should I be taking ignition switched power from Question It looks like I should be trying to take a feed off fuse F33 in the main fusebox Question
4) What's the best cable route between cubby box and relay Question

It would be really helpful if the answers are from anyone who's been able to use the Exmoor looms and not modified them in any way. Embarassed

Thanks in advance Exclamation
Post #859246 2nd Oct 2020 8:33am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
When I added (retro fitted)heated seats to my TD5 I got some plastic ABS project boxes off Ebay and mounted the round switches into these and attached the boxes to the cubby with a couple of screw. The boxes are mounted to the side of cubby.

Relays sit under the cubby, just enough room.

Ignition feed, I used a voltage sensing relay in the battery box. I could have found an ignition live feed and made it easier but I wanted to be confident that if forgot the seats are on, and I turn the key to just power the radio I wouldn't still be feeding the seats.

For the wire feeds, via the middle access panel and into the battery box. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #859261 2nd Oct 2020 9:21am
CallumB

Hi excossack,

Jeez that's almost too obvious - I was over thinking it Bow down So you don't run any of the loom, just feed it live and neutral. I've got a MUD safe under my cubby box but I'm now wondering if I could put both looms and relays in the front of that and feed the connections out of it via a new hole/grommet. I take it you've got spacers under your cubby box, hence"Relays sit under the cubby, just enough room"?

Cheers

Callum
Post #859270 2nd Oct 2020 9:45am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have fitted several of these. front sloping edge of a cubby box is a good spot for ease of use but they can easily be knocked there as well. you can mount the whole loom/relays in the front edge of the box and just run an ignition feed to them.

from a puma you could take ignition feed from under the drivers seat.

or you could put all relays and loom in under the drivers seat and just run each switch to the cubby box.

I think cubby box is will placed, it avoids fitting on the dash and holes in the dash.

My preferred way however is to use LR heated seat switches and loom and fit in the 'proper' place. but that adds £££ Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #859276 2nd Oct 2020 10:10am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hi

I only had the two wooden blocks that run under the cubby which I left in place and moved the relays towards the back were it is deeper.
The main loom is under the cubby and two leads + and - to the battery box via a relay and a voltage sensing switch. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #859277 2nd Oct 2020 10:10am
CallumB

jst wrote:
i have fitted several of these. front sloping edge of a cubby box is a good spot for ease of use but they can easily be knocked there as well. you can mount the whole loom/relays in the front edge of the box and just run an ignition feed to them.

from a puma you could take ignition feed from under the drivers seat.

or you could put all relays and loom in under the drivers seat and just run each switch to the cubby box.

I think cubby box is will placed, it avoids fitting on the dash and holes in the dash.

My preferred way however is to use LR heated seat switches and loom and fit in the 'proper' place. but that adds £££

Thanks jst. Thumbs Up Taking ignition from under the drivers seat makes sense. I'd like the relays under the seat too, I'm just trying to think how to route the loom/connectors/switches from the seat box and whether there's any blanked off pre-drilled holes under the cubby box which I could use.....I will do some exploratory dismantling and have a look. Yes, LR switches add more ££s and I'm guessing they won't operate the high/low feature. I'll mount the Exmoor switches on the cubby box. Definitely don't want to drill the dash.
Post #859303 2nd Oct 2020 12:15pm
CallumB

excossack wrote:
Hi

I only had the two wooden blocks that run under the cubby which I left in place and moved the relays towards the back were it is deeper.
The main loom is under the cubby and two leads + and - to the battery box via a relay and a voltage sensing switch.

Thanks excossack, just need to figure out which option to go for (cubby or seat box for relays)!
Post #859304 2nd Oct 2020 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1