↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 1996 Defender wiring issue with Earthing??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RobM

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alaska White
1996 Defender wiring issue with Earthing??
Guys... (I did a quick search and nothing came up on this topic....)

I'm trying to track down a starting issue with my '96 Defender 110. From research I thought it was the ignition switch which I have recently replaced... but since then it is still randomly doing it (ie: Have dash-lights,etc but nothing when I turn the key to try & start) and sometimes it has been getting worse in that when I turn the key on there is no accessories or dash-lights coming on. I've used a test light to test for 12v and I'm getting a "dull" light which to me indicates a "Bad Earth" somewhere. I'm thinking that it has to be a bad earth between the vehicles body and the battery itself as when it does start, the engine turns over quickly which indicates to me that there cannot be a bad earth between the engine and the battery due to the high currents involved when starting.

So... can anyone tell me the locations of the Earthing Points on a Defender between the Body and battery? Is there many or just one main earthing point? Also, where is the earthing point for the dash and also the starting relay next to the fuses inside the cab.

(BTW: I have replaced this starting relay and the problem still exists)

any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.... Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
1996 LR Discovery Tdi300 (A)
2009 Defender PUMA 110Wgn
My TRPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips
Post #858211 26th Sep 2020 10:53am
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I had similar and traced it to the connections on the back of the starter motor being loose.

The other thing to check are the wires from the starter motor to the alternator. These go round the back of the engine, along underneath the injectors, underneath the thermostat housing and down to the alternator. They can be prone to being rubbed against the engine block at the back of the engine if they have come loose or are not properly covered.
Post #858272 26th Sep 2020 5:05pm
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
What he said.
Post #858289 26th Sep 2020 6:09pm
RobM

8619simon wrote:
I had similar and traced it to the connections on the back of the starter motor being loose.

The other thing to check are the wires from the starter motor to the alternator. These go round the back of the engine, along underneath the injectors, underneath the thermostat housing and down to the alternator. They can be prone to being rubbed against the engine block at the back of the engine if they have come loose or are not properly covered.

Yes, it’s pointing towards that from the quick look I had when I got home from a night shift... I’ll be removing and cleaning the connection to see if that’s the issue...
I’m praying that is All that it is... Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #858326 27th Sep 2020 3:34am
RobM

Well... got to have a bit of a closer look into finding the issue on my defender... I tested the earthing between battery and body and this turned out to be ok. This confused me a little so I thought I'd look at the power from battery to Starter motor and found that I had good 12v at battery but when using my test light I had no 12v at starter motor until I scratch through a bit and then got 12v. I removed all the cables off the starter motor terminal and visually there didn't appear to be any corrosion but still cleaned/sanded all the lugs and then reconnected the cables to the term and retested and all came good. The Defender started as per normal... so I'm praying that was the starting problem and that the new ignition switch is not a faulty one... Time will tell I suppose...

cheers for the advice on here Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #858399 27th Sep 2020 12:52pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Thumbs Up
Post #858442 27th Sep 2020 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1