↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Rear crossmember
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
Rear crossmember
Hello wall just a quick question I'm in the process of rust proofing my chassis and I was under there the other yesterday with wire brush cleaning all up after jet washing and decreasing it and I notice a little bit of flaking on the rear cross member and when I cleaned it up there is a little 5 mm hole in it can anyone point me in the right direction to the right plus member looking online but there's so many different ones is it a case of Humboldt Bolton new one in or is it a welding job any help would be much appreciated thank you
Post #855964 14th Sep 2020 10:51am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
We'll need to see your existing one to correctly advise on a replacement as they have changed slightly through the years.
It's a fairly involved job and, will need to be undertaken by a competent welder, there are various way's of replacing it depending on the condition of the chassis rails in that area. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #856120 15th Sep 2020 7:29am
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your reply I had a good look at it last night you are right yeah needs cutting and welding it is literally just the rear cross member all the other part of the chassis that is fine will put a picture up tonight when I get home
Post #856122 15th Sep 2020 7:52am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Fitting a new one is a decent sized job (I'm getting mine done this week) and the guy reckons it's a couple of days work.
If it's only a small hole its much more cost efficient to get it repaired. The larger indies were quoting £1k for a replacement.

I had a couple of holes on the lightweight cross member and they were cut out and re-plated for under a hundred quid.
Post #856129 15th Sep 2020 8:20am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
^^^ couple of days if everything is above it still. i pulled the load bed mine and replaced the cross member when rear end of chassis was bare. days work.

my 2011 one was not in best of condition and i thought it prudent to change before going whole hog with hardtop conversion.

choosing cross member is a different matter. any glav one will deteriorate as galv comes off to weld it on seams. but will still protect back part of it.

you buy one to suit the tank setup (age) of vehicle then choose the extensions you need dependngon chassis leg condition. you can always start with long extensions and cut them back.

i went for an ebay galv HD one in that material is fractionally thicker than std: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TD5-DEFENDER-90...SwRaRZqpZq

i was in a bit of a dilemma as needed it at start of lockdown and they (Oliver) had stock, it would of arrived next day if the delivery people had taken it to the right house!

Its well made, galv is good, its not distorted and welds are good -

BUT -

none of the threads had been cleaned out so i needed a large tap to clean them for the towbar fittings,

plus the plate that holds the threads was mounted 3 to 4mm too high in the cross member when it was welded in so the outside holes didnt line up with the welded in threaded section - all time consuming to resolve.

if i did it again i would buy a Bearmach HD one. - they just didnt have one in stock with extensions at the time i needed it.

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #856134 15th Sep 2020 9:09am
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
Thank you for all your replies yeah I spend a couple of house last couple of nights working on it stripping all down and yeah there's a tiny little hole took it to the local garage and they just welding a plate on there for me but I can see next year once I've built my garage I need to do the full cross member so I'm going to order r type MIG welder and start playing
Post #856440 17th Sep 2020 8:50am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #856480 17th Sep 2020 11:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1