↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > XPel Paint Protection Film
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

XPel Paint Protection Film
I took my car into the detainers today for a decent wash and dry and removal of a scratch on the front passenger door ( acquires the proper way off-roading, thankfully not in the supermarket car park) and noticed that they are now accredited suppliers and fitters for a clear, non matte/satin finish paint protection film from an A Erica company called Xpel.
It claims to be self repairing and is protection against stone chips, light scratches etc. Looks like an interesting product, especially as it’s gloss and not LR’s unpleasant looking satin finish. Was wondering if any body has tried it - L663 is lusted on their patterns list so I’m assuming maybe some of our American members might have tried it. I was considering getting both sides done with it, not the whole car which has also already been treated to a full coating of gtechniq ceramnic, but that doesn’t protect against scratches but does make the car dead easy to wash.
https://www.xpel.com/paint-protection-kits...st-Edition Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #856014 14th Sep 2020 4:01pm
Zeplin000

Hi Tim, Yes my car has been treated to PPF. The firm I used (Topaz Detailing in Bristol) use a combination of Xpel and Suntec films (each has different pros/cons). I'd highly recommend it. It is expensive, but worth it in my opinion if you plan to keep your Defender a long time and use it off road. Mine has already proved its worth after some careless decorators managed to get paint on the bonnet. It was only about the size of a 10p piece but im sure without the PPF the Defender’s paint would have been damaged. The PPF was initially burned by the paint (which I hadn't spotted for a couple of days) but after a day in the sun had healed itself. Scratches from hedgerows do just disappear after a day or so in the sun. Deeper scratches that penetrate the top layer of the film won't heal. Also, you won't be able to cover the grey plastic trim on the sides - it generally only covers painted areas, although Topaz did manage to cover the matt silver sump guard on mine, as we all the top surface of the rear bumper. All in, I'd get it again as I plan to have my defender 5+ years and want to keep it looking good.
Post #856018 14th Sep 2020 4:21pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have PPF on 2 cars, albeit not Land Rovers,

its expensive but worth it imo. I think one car is suntek and the other xpel

one of the local detailing firms here have done a few now (I haven't used them)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEaCUbyp8EQ/?u..._copy_link
Post #856028 14th Sep 2020 5:42pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks guys - I’m thinking about it as the detainers I use can polish out the mostly light scratches I got a week ago driving a road that wasn’t expected to be quite as over grown as it was - turns out we were the last group to drive it back in August 2019. I don’t expect these films to be a cure all but if I can prevent all the fine scratches I’ll be happy. I’ll get a quote once my car has been back to them to get the new A Pillar trims GTechniq treated. I’m planning on keeping the car longer than I would normally too. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #856044 14th Sep 2020 7:05pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
yeah, my am has suntek PPF then covered in gtech ceramic
Post #856046 14th Sep 2020 7:08pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
How much does it cost to get it applied?
Post #856047 14th Sep 2020 7:11pm
Tim in Scotland

Less than LR charges to put their satin wrap on! I‘ll let you know when I get a quote - the prices on the website are all in USD Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #856096 14th Sep 2020 10:51pm
J77

Scotland 
A full kit starts from £3.5k, though most places that I’ve looked at offer just part kits.

https://ultimateshineautos.co.uk/xpel
Post #856104 15th Sep 2020 5:32am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I think I’d just let it get scratched for that kind of money!
Post #856110 15th Sep 2020 7:50am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Tim, I highly recommend any kind of fil protection.

I put VPS paint protection on all my vehicles, they have saved me from many scratches from thorny bushes, although you dont have these in your part of the world Thumbs Up

It's strong polyurethane film, virtually invisible. So basically it keeps a new vehicle's paintwork as is underneath, and is removeable for the next owner Thumbs Up

I have the sides done from the bottom up to the window sills, and the bonnet as well to protect against stone chips thrown up by trucks. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #856111 15th Sep 2020 7:51am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: XPel Paint Protection Film
Tim in Scotland wrote:
... Looks like an interesting product, especially as it’s gloss and not LR’s unpleasant looking satin finish. ...

I have LR's satin wrap from factory. Laughing
To be honest, it looks awesome. It does seem to self heal to a degree (hedgerow scratches) and really stands out. I've noticed very fine dust/dirt tends to gather at the edges of the film so it'll be interesting to see how that develops over time.

An independent detailer took a look at the car when I first got it and commented that they'd done a pretty good job and were using the very best film.

I've always been sceptical of wraps but I have to say I'm pleased I spec'd it - gets a lot of positive comments. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #856131 15th Sep 2020 9:36am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
A mate's just had this applied to his Project 8 Thumbs Up
Post #856135 15th Sep 2020 10:10am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I did once get a quote to supply only xpel self healing film, on a reel, sufficient to completely cover 2 x 110's. £600 supplied.

Which for £300/vehicle, plus some really rather good youtube videos around on how to fit it, plus the rather straight slab sided nature of the original vehicle (perhaps more difficult on the new one) - i do plan to have a go at some point.

My Plastidip cost me around £200 to do plus an HVLP sprayer, so once that's peeled off this is a better long term solution and will look far far better. You can see the paint fleckle through it whereas with plastidip clear you can't.
Post #856136 15th Sep 2020 10:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1