↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Heated Windshield Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
StructuralDefect

United States 
Heated Windshield Issue
FYI. If you get the heated windshield you will notice the wiring inside of it. I didn't notice it during the test drive when my order came in but now I can't unsee it. My wife hates it. Gives bad distortion to streetlights at night and looks like a grid during the day. Hoping I can get used to it but it's not great. 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #854731 7th Sep 2020 4:26pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
JLR has been doing this for years - decades, even.

Ford does it too (in fact, I think JLR's use of heated windscreen wires dates back to their Ford ownership).

It functions much better in bad conditions than those that rely on the air vents (which need the engine to warm up and then clear a nice semi-circular patch next to the vent).

Honestly, I've been driving with these windscreens for >15 years and they don't bother me at all. You'll get used to it Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #854734 7th Sep 2020 4:36pm
goodtimes

United States 
Every heated windshield shows those tiny wires if you look for them. You have to forget they are there, and once you do, I am sure you'll never see them again until you decide to see them again.
Post #854736 7th Sep 2020 4:38pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
I have never had a heated windshield so I guess I didn't put enough thought or research into that area. Just a warning for other dummies like me lol. Good to know that I will be able to stop seeing it at some point. That thing better melt some serious ice for me! 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #854737 7th Sep 2020 4:42pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
My father's (fairly new) BMW doesn't have the wires and relies on the heating system. It's rubbish! One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #854739 7th Sep 2020 4:53pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
It caught me on my original d3 didn’t notice it until I picked my own brand new car up but once I had it was hard to ignore and distracting eventually my eyes adjusted and it became a non issue. Stick with it a bit and I doubt you’ll notice soon. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #854745 7th Sep 2020 5:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
If it's anything like it's predecessor, you might notice on days you use it in anger, is that it sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own as to where the electricity flows and which bits get cleared. It seems to vary from one occasion to the next.
Post #854754 7th Sep 2020 5:57pm
Tim in Scotland

Do be aware that if you switch it on at night the lights of oncoming traffic get some serious distortion but the times you need it on at night are few and far between thankfully. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #854776 7th Sep 2020 6:58pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
I've been really thankful that my FL2 has a heated windscreen. It coped admirably with a 1cm thick ice coating at -22c in Austria. 5 minutes and the lot slid off. A Porsche Macan owner looked on with envy as he scratched away at his windscreen and in the process breaking his plastic scraper handle.
Post #854784 7th Sep 2020 7:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Also if you weren’t aware there is a special winter park mode for the wipers to ensure they park a bit higher than normal and thaw off the glass as the screen heats but also, don’t forget to switch the wiper auto on function off as the sensor ISN’T in the heated section and as soon as you start the ignition to thaw the screen and wipers the sensor will try to Start the wipers to clear the screen, damaging the wiper blades........ and possibly the motors. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #854785 7th Sep 2020 7:26pm
J77

Scotland 
You soon get used to it, I’ve had one that long I don’t even notice it.
Post #854787 7th Sep 2020 7:33pm
Tim in Scotland

You certainly miss it when you don’t have one!
It was the one option on my Countryman PHEV I NEVER used........... because provided it was plugged into the charger and the timer on the app or dash was set up the car would warm the cabin to the temperature you set on the climate control, defrosting all the windows and front and rear screens and the panoramic sunroof - £310 wasted because I didn’t know the car could heat or cool from the app! I’m not sure how well the New Defender’s remote start and engine run works to warm the cabin as there is also a remote park heat system available at extra cost that is meant to cover cold weather pre-warming, I suspect it’s there to reduce cold start emissions Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #854791 7th Sep 2020 7:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
alantd wrote:
... in fact, I think JLR's use of heated windscreen wires dates back to their Ford ownership ...

Correct, at that time Ford held the patents for the "Triplex Hotwire" heated screens, which meant that only Fords and Ford subsidiaries had them. I believe that they were used on certain winterised military Landrovers under licence prior to the Ford acquisition of JLR.
Post #854798 7th Sep 2020 8:09pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I found with my Defender that the more I thought about the wires in the glass, the more my eye was drawn to them. Most of the time they didn't bother me and my mind dialled them out, but occasionally they really bugged me. But I did find the system useful on very cold days.

My Skoda also had a heated screen but it was a different technology with no visible wires.
Post #854812 7th Sep 2020 8:51pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My SI 80" was way ahead of its time. Not only did it have intermittent wipe, but it also had a heated screen.

The wiper used to pack up randomly (but strangely only when it was raining) and to de-ice the screen I would press my hand against it! Rolling with laughter
Post #854854 7th Sep 2020 11:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>