↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Spare lamps for continental driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Spare lamps for continental driving
I’m planning (very tentatively) on joining a group hoping to get to Iceland with our Land Rovers next year or 2022. On the equipment list of required gear is a complete set of spare light bulbs. Both my cars have LED lamps for all the lights including headlamps so can anyone advise what the situation with the need to carry spares is with regards to LED lights and continental driving rules? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #854266 4th Sep 2020 4:08pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I guess it could depend on the country, but certainly on my extensive travels through France/Spain/Italy/Gernmany/Switzerland and Belgium, no one has ever asked to see my spare bulb set and I would bet that the penalty (if one does exist) for not having one is pretty minor. I suspect the actual requirement is really just to ensure your lights are working at all times, which would be the same as at home. If you are all LED the chances of anything failing are slim, but you'll be a bit stuck if they do. Maybe you could take one old H4 headlight, plus the 1 each of the other lamp units, they wouldn't take much space. Or you could just chuck a few random bulbs in a bag if you are just concerned about being asked to show some spares, I can't imagine they will cross check with your actual lights to see if they fit!

This is all just my opinion, if you end up in some Icelandic prison mining ice cubes on a glacier because your side repeater wasn't working, I take no responsibility Laughing 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #854268 4th Sep 2020 4:31pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
I keep saying I’d like to drive over to and around Iceland for my birthday in 2022 in the hope it might convince us all o make it happen, very interested to hear how your trip progresses!
Post #854294 4th Sep 2020 7:24pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Iceland isn’t a cheep trip to do, but it is certainly worth it. I went with Venture 4x4 who were absolutely brilliant. Defender went out on container ship and back, and we took a flight there and back. We spent two weeks there, and could have spent longer, such an interesting and diverse place to visit, just do it, you won’t ever forget it 👍
Ashby Andy

Ps, I took A set of standard spare bulbs, but as mentioned mine are Also all LED, so I couldn’t have used them.
Post #854308 4th Sep 2020 8:05pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
It's definitely not something "continental", but loal rules and regulations in Iceland could dictate that you carry a set of spares. I don't know if that's the case, but by all means check before you go.

Having said that, I drove around Iveland for 2,5 wk in a rental (toyota yaris iirc), but was never stopped for a check. Could be due to the fact that it was a domestic car. I don't know if they check vehicles being shipped over upon arrival though, but the shipping agency might be able to tell you. Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #854370 5th Sep 2020 9:29am
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Much the same as Ashby Andy, I went to Iceland a couple of years ago. I'm also 'all led' but carry a pack of bulbs I got from Halfords. Had them in the defender for years and never used any (even before going led) but, for a few bob, they do satisfy the requirement.

I also shipped the defender to Iceland. Hope to go again but next time would take the time to drive round Europe to pick up the ferry. Not that shipping was bad (apart from the scary moment when you hand over your pride and joy and just get a scribbled bit of paper in return!), I'd just like to combine with a few days in Scandinavia as well.

Tony
Post #854671 7th Sep 2020 10:51am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks for all the replies - looks like a trip to Halfords for their cheapest boxed set then Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #854673 7th Sep 2020 10:53am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
In Spain I know they removed that requirement for the spare bulbs mainly due to most modern cars now you cannot change a bulb at the side of a road now, it’s a whole light unit for most rear lights and front ones they are harder and harder to replace unless you are a main stealer. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #854685 7th Sep 2020 11:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1