↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Mods, gear and spares for a coast to coast trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^ Agree. Diff Guards, HD steering bars, rock sliders, bumperettes, are all unnecessary for a Greenlane trip.

Mishaps do happen though. Based on the cost and easy fitting, verses the potential damage, I run diff guards. Very Happy
Post #850071 15th Aug 2020 9:38am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
It's going to be a pretty pampered guided trip, you dont really need anything except front and rear recovery points.
Spares are good but only if you have the knowledge and means to fit them. Better to make sure what's fitted is good, it's not as though you are venturing into the Gobi Wink
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #850073 15th Aug 2020 9:45am
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
blackwolf wrote:
DSC-off wrote:
Diff guards are the only thing I would add for the more difficult lanes, particularly on the front axle. A big rock can easily damage the diff cover.

Slightly controversial. Diff guards should be wholly unnecessary outside of competition use, learn to drive properly off-road instead.

If you're driving a TDCi and spending money on any underside protection a fuel cooler guard would be a better investment, it is not unknown for stones etc to flick up and damage it or the fuel and/or coolant connections.

We have diff guards front & rear as it’s belt n braces as we are normally a long way from home. Totally agree with black wolf on the fuel cooler guard as ours has done its job plenty of times as it’s now a bespoke shape!
Post #853402 31st Aug 2020 6:41pm
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I run diff guards too. If you drive lane's like the 1st pic below I agree, they're not needed.

Click image to enlarge

If however you drive lane's like these then it's just common sense to fit them. especially for the price of them. I doubt very much the C2C run will contain lane's like the last 3 pic's tbh, but there's also hidden object's, rocks, hidden in long grass, or in water crossings, etc to consider. An unseen rock underwater can really mess up your day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #853448 31st Aug 2020 9:32pm
natyeo

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
If your doing c to c you well probably do Breast High and a few other rocky lanes in the Lakes (Was up Breast High last week and very rough n washed out)and I would say a set of diff guards would be a very good Idea 2014 2.2 90 hard top , Warm M8000 , Scorpain winch bumper, Ashcroft rear atb
2012 2.2 tdci 110 Utility
1993 110 CSW Warn M8000 , Scorpain winch bumper , 2" lift , Roamerdive overdrive, on going
1971 Hybird 200tdi, 2 x truetracs,Extrem winch bumper, M8000, GKN overdrive & Coils 2" lift, Glynn Lewis cranked rear trail arms
1971 Series 3 88, Perkins 4203,M8000,SATs,O/D,
Post #853454 31st Aug 2020 9:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12