↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Def, Old Def and Gladiator off-road.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
MrEleven wrote:
Ive just watched the first video and i don't know if I'm missing something but didn’t the new defender do everything the others did and with less kit ? A 90 is always going to have a advantage over a 110 and gladiator due to its size plus had a bigger lift and didn’t have 20” alloys the new defender had. So whats the problem?
The g wagon vs defender, not watched that one yet but again a g wagon cost at least double the price so not really a fair comparison.
Some people on this forum are just so negative and i don't even know why you would want to come on this part of the forum. Clearly you are just coming to bash them and have no interest in owning one. So just leave all us idiots who have a new one to enjoy and talk among ourselves.

....and none of the 'offroad pros' noted that the NAS 90 is running a 3-link at the front plus Safarigard 4inch lift.......
This setup alone would leave a lot of Defenders in the dust. Old or new. Just saying. m
Post #849684 13th Aug 2020 8:29am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
They clearly state that the 90 has a 3 inch lift but that it wasn't the subject of the comparison. It was only new Defender v Jeep. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #849871 13th Aug 2020 8:57pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Watched this all today.

The reviewers were pretty fair overall, the new defender did make it to the top. Looked a bit scrappy in places, but also did much better when the LR guy drove it. It's independent suspension needs a different driving style. I'd also question the use of "mud and ruts" as an appropriate driving program for much of it. isn't there a rock mode?

Also, ignoring the sizable cost difference, the defender can be had with a rear locker, but the one in the video didn't have it where the jeep did.

What's the deal with the lift? Are there already aftermarket kits, or do they just mean they jacked up the air suspension?
Post #849886 13th Aug 2020 10:23pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think the lift was this things that alter the length of the ride height sensor to trick the suspension into thinking it is lower than it really is. Called Johnson Rods or something. A pretty simple product to develop. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #849887 13th Aug 2020 10:37pm
J77

Scotland 
There’s a few aftermarket companies now doing lift kits for the new Defender.
Post #849888 13th Aug 2020 10:37pm
skyrover

United Kingdom 
At the end of the day, all other things being equal, live axles will always outperform independent suspension when crawling over rough terrain.

The new Defender isn't built for hardcore offroading as this test helps to demonstrate, but it will make a fine family vehicle.

A shame Land Rover has not developed a true offroader/utility vehicle but has obviously decided to leave that market behind.
Post #850564 17th Aug 2020 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123