↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) Awareness Update July
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) Awareness Update July
Being a regular user of SPTA, both personally, and professionally, I thought it might be a good idea to have a post where forum users could “check in” to see what issues and hazards are current on SPTA prior to venturing onto the Plain…

So here we go:

It’s been very dry on SPTA (and the south of England) over the last 4 months, this makes parts of the Plain ripe for grass fires – please take obvious precautions.

There are currently tadpoles in some of the water filled tracks: please check them prior to driving through them, tadpoles and other animals don’t like being squished.

Ticks, there is a high tick risk on SPTA at this time, be especially wary of long grass, and wooded areas. Ticks carry several diseases including Lymes, and TBE (Tick Borne Encephalitis) I can attest to the former of those since I’m now on Doxycycline for the next 3 weeks. Shocked https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lyme-disease/

Also the SPTA newsletter can be found here : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...newsletter , A useful read to ensure your safety on SPTA with contact number for Plainwatch and MOD police.

I’ll try and update as regulary as I can (Monthly?)

-- UPDATE JULY 2020---

Even though SPTA is looking green with the rain we have had, it is still very dry in the undergrowth - there is currently a Level 5 (highest) grass/brush fire warning in place.

Please take care, and be aware of fire risks, be aware that campfires and BBQ’s are not permitted on SPTA, If seen please contact Plainwach (01980 674700) or the MOD Police (01371 584444) (24 hour) - theses are also usefull number to have on your phone even if venturing out on to SPTA.

The rain that we have had has resulted in the finer silt, and clay being washed off the very dry trackways and byways that criss cross the area, this has exposed more of the larger rockier maternal – punctures are more likely, and keeping to the 30 MPH limit is more important to prevent stone damage to your or following vehicles, and to prevent further erosion. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion

Last edited by The Zee on 18th Jul 2020 8:45pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #834880 2nd Jun 2020 10:20pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Great idea and thanks for the info. I'd love to come down but have always been concerned that despite being a very cautious navigator and always checking trailwise2 and the OS maps before driving anywhere, i'd stray somewhere i wasn't meant to be unintentionally. On the other side of the coin i prefer doing navigation myself so trips can be leisurely rather than dashing through with an organised paid for tour.

Are there any typical routes that people have taken/recommended areas or runs through?
Post #834922 3rd Jun 2020 8:48am
Thon

United Kingdom 
Adding to the OP above, it's very straightforward to navigate on the Plain - most rights of way are well signposted and Wiltshire County Council has an easily-accessible rights of way map. Just make sure you learn the definitions of those routes that have vehicular access. It's amazing how many bikes and "off-roaders" I see on restricted byways. All of the danger areas are mapped, most fenced-off, gated, flagged and lit so it's quite straightforward to stay safe. There's a blanket 30 mph speed limit across the SPTA too. Lots more official presence from Range Control and Police now too, which is great for those using the area legitimately but be on the lookout for eejits racing uninsured, unregistered motocross bikes in dangerous places - I see them virtually every time I am out. Also remember that all buildings and plantations are out of bounds to the general public for good reason, and don't pick anything up!

I've been out on the Plain daily during the lockdown and it's been a godsend - very privileged to have it on my doorstep.

Click image to enlarge

One of the tadpole pools mentioned by OP: -

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #835075 3rd Jun 2020 10:28pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
There was a huge influx of arses this sunday just gone. Now apparently the ModPlod have stepped up patrols and stopping people out there at odd hours.
Naturally if you're just laning and all legal, nothing to worry about.

https://www.wiltshire.police.uk/article/61...eLtaYt191M
Post #835155 4th Jun 2020 2:41pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
There was a huge influx of arses this Sunday just gone

Happening all over the country in part due to this

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #835158 4th Jun 2020 3:11pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
Hi Guys n gals,

Not haivng used the plains for a few years, would anyone that does, and nows them well be up for an guided tour for a couple of us sometime please?

Pretty flexible on days during the week, for a few hours - been on a couple of meet ups that have been good fun and done responsibly (Diesel Jim / BP Man et al).

There are a few Def's in the area that have not been used as intedned and they'd like to have a sensible outing.

Not looking to bog down, get flooded or take home half the plains. but day out, and have some 4x4 fun.

Anyone got a spare day and fancy some liquid remuneration ........

Si TY&GN
10 years in a WOLF, WIMIK and Snatch and this is all I have to show!
Post #838921 22nd Jun 2020 3:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

I don't know if BP man leads runs anymore Question
Post #838975 22nd Jun 2020 6:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Eye in the Sky: drones at Salisbury Plain
Good story.

"The Training Safety Marshals (TSMs) recently took delivery of ten DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise drones, more properly known as Unmanned Air Systems (UAS), for use on the training area. They can be used in a number of ways to help us in our duties to maintain a “Safe Place” for the Armed Forces to train. "

Click image to enlarge

https://www.suasnews.com/2020/08/eye-in-th...ury-plain/
Post #848670 8th Aug 2020 12:06pm
diesel_jim

The Civ police have had the drones for quite a while now. And I think they've nabbed quite a few of the idiots out there.

good job too!
Post #848711 8th Aug 2020 8:22pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I don't think BP Man even owns a Defender now - he was buying / had bought a Porsche when I saw him last, which must have been 2 years ago.

I stand to be corrected though.

If you're looking for a guided tour there's a guy on FB that runs them most Sundays for a charity donation - Salisbury Plain 4x4 Wiltshire byways, run by Paul Carter. He runs a tight ship and is meticulous in his route preparation.
Post #848832 9th Aug 2020 12:51pm
diesel_jim

^^^^ So he claims.... Whistle
Post #848862 9th Aug 2020 3:37pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
He did still have his white 110 at the time which was up for sale but not sure of the outcome. I haven't seen him since - was only there to buy an under-cubby box.
Post #848866 9th Aug 2020 4:06pm
diesel_jim

I meant the chap who does the SPTA tours....
Post #848872 9th Aug 2020 4:30pm
diesel_jim

I meant the chap who does the SPTA tours....
Post #848874 9th Aug 2020 4:30pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
He's well known by the range wardens (every week he meets at least one of them) and certainly on the east side of the plain he is on legitimate rights of way from the pictures I see. Obviously I can't be sure of every track he goes on as I don't go on his tours. He also bans group members that request recovery from out of bounds areas. We're in dialogue with him as we also suffer unauthorised access in our shoot area - seems like a reasonable guy? You seem to have a contrary opinion?
Post #848881 9th Aug 2020 4:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>