↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Spec Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
John C

Spec Questions
Hi,

Trying to decide between a D5 and a Defender. I like the idea of the TDV6 3.0... and will miss the boot cover for sitting on or changing muddy kids rugby boots if I went with the Defender.

If I go Defender, am trying to decide between a First Edition D240 and an SE P300...

Anyone driven both petrol and diesel and can comment? Can't quite make my mind up whether the D240 will be underpowered towing or cruising at speed down to the South of France. If I end up keeping it for a while, kind of thinking Petrol is the better option.

I can't for the life of me work out where the SE sits in relation to the FE? Above or below?!

Thank you!

John
Post #847210 31st Jul 2020 11:10am
Tim in Scotland

Welcome to the forum John

SE is below FE. Cannot comment on the difference between p300 and D240 but the D240 is man enough for most things. There is a post here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic73451-15.html by member AlanTD on page 2 where he rates the towing ability of the D240. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 1st Aug 2020 9:31am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #847217 31st Jul 2020 11:41am
J77

Scotland 
FE are just launch models really, they’ll be around another year then vanish. Personally I think they are just a mash up of specs and don’t really have specific place in the model line up.
Post #847218 31st Jul 2020 11:42am
Tim in Scotland

They are an SE with some desirable extras thrown in basically. Personally ti think hey could have been more generous like they were with the D5 and Velar First Editions with things like Head up display thrown in Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #847220 31st Jul 2020 11:47am
Tim in Scotland

You would probably get a better deal on a D5 TD6 over a new Defender D240, and the TD6 would tow better too with more torque Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #847221 31st Jul 2020 11:49am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Will depend on whether you are towing a 650kg trailer, 1800kg caravan or full spec 3,500kg boat.

I'd also consider V6 engine issues.
Post #847252 31st Jul 2020 3:26pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Re: Spec Questions
John C wrote:
Hi,

Trying to decide between a D5 and a Defender. I like the idea of the TDV6 3.0... and will miss the boot cover for sitting on or changing muddy kids rugby boots if I went with the Defender.

If I go Defender, am trying to decide between a First Edition D240 and an SE P300...

Anyone driven both petrol and diesel and can comment? Can't quite make my mind up whether the D240 will be underpowered towing or cruising at speed down to the South of France. If I end up keeping it for a while, kind of thinking Petrol is the better option.

I can't for the life of me work out where the SE sits in relation to the FE? Above or below?!

Thank you!

Our decision was to also choose between the D5 V6 Diesel or the Defender D240 and we arrange a test drive in both. I’m a big fan of the V6 Diesel and knew that I favoured the Disco before I got to the dealership.
The dealer gave us the D240 Defender to try first and we were so impressed with the drive, ride, engine, interior and styling of the Defender we decided we wanted one and to not even try the Disco. We convinced ourselves that the Defender would also probably (and hopefully) hold its value better too and was just generally just a cooler vehicle all round.
We were definitely impressed with the D240 and I can’t see you’d have any issue towing with it or cruising to the South of France or the Alps in it.
But both are really quite different vehicles in my view and from reading the reviews and comparisons. But they are both brilliant so I’m sure you’ll be delighted with which ever you choose. But be prepared for a test drive to completely change your mind from the one you’d gone there expecting to buy!
Good luck- make sure you come back and tell us which one you decide to get in the end!

John
 Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #847261 31st Jul 2020 3:49pm
Kevantlin

United Kingdom 
Ordered an SE myself, seems to be the sweet spot between price and spec.

Be aware that you can’t spec variable cruise control on a FE, that for me was a deal breaker.
Post #847409 1st Aug 2020 8:15am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I’ve not driven the P300 I’m afraid but on paper it looks like it’ll be a bit more lively. However, unless they’ve significantly upped the fuel tank size, you’ll be losing about 100 miles of range over the Diesel.

I’ve been towing a lot with my D240 and it definitely does the job but works appreciably harder than my 3L D5 did. Absolutely no problem cruising around or doing long motorway hauls but not as effortless as the D5.

It’s a lottery trying to guess what future restrictions we’ll face with Petrols vs Diesel when it comes to city centres but the D240 meets the very latest regs on emissions.

The FE only comes with the D240. It’s essentially the SE with some bundled options and some unique badges/tread plates. I originally spec’d an SE but the FE came out slightly cheaper (not much in it and there are a few options not available to you) and it will probably hold its value better.

Hope that helps. 👍 One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #847917 3rd Aug 2020 10:52pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Seeing as this is a post about Spec Questions, I have one too.

Please could those who have already taken possession of their new Defender and did not spec the White dashboard but just went with the standard grey, show me a photo of their dashboard?

Only I only seem to have seen them in a almost white colour, which is what I am hoping is the grey. If the grey is in fact quite dark then I can only assume that every single vehicle I have seen photos or videos of have specced the white interior. On the configurator its quite clearly a grey colour but I really prefer this light colour I keep seeing and am now unsure which is which.
I have also seen one with a really dark dash which looked almost black. That's not the standard grey is it? But I don't see such a dark colour as an option - and wouldn't want that.

Thanks for your help people. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #849764 13th Aug 2020 3:57pm
J77

Scotland 
My demo car had the light grey dash, sorry no pics, it is light but the white is proper white, if you know what I mean.

The really dark dash is Defender X only.
Post #849771 13th Aug 2020 4:44pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Ok thanks that’s made me happy Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #849772 13th Aug 2020 5:00pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
So this is grey?

Click image to enlarge
 Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #849774 13th Aug 2020 5:03pm
J77

Scotland 
Looking at the photos it’s hard to tell but in the flesh there’s a clear difference but it’s nowhere near as dark as the X trim.

I’d say that’s white
Post #849775 13th Aug 2020 5:05pm
J77

Scotland 
This is definitely white

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think the standard grey is only a couple of shades darker.
Post #849778 13th Aug 2020 5:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>