↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 2013 110 Puma - clunk noise from rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Tumbiri

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
HardCharger, sorry, I have no experience with the grease-able ball joint but seeing that the Genuine part got rid of my problem. I would hesitate to use anything else, unless it is a Land Rover part, I guess.

As for my drive train, it is still good (61,000Km), no excessive play; the occasional noise when I mess up the gear changes.
Post #836693 11th Jun 2020 10:47pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I’ve had a similar ‘clunk’ for a while now and have been replacing drive flanges for one piece ones and rebushing pretty much everything. Last resort has been to rebush the A frame and change the ball joint.

How are you supposed to get that to 176Nm when you can’t get a socket to it? .. even a shallow one can’t get on. Is there a special ultra shallow 30mm socket I should be using?

Thanks
Post #837599 16th Jun 2020 6:22pm
Tumbiri

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Checked with my mechanic. He used a ring spanner and tightened as much as he could. Can't get a torque wrench in there unless with some special adapter tool. The nut is locked with a split pin so it won't back out.
Post #837694 16th Jun 2020 11:43pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I got a shallow socket in mine, was tight though. Was tough to get the correct torque laid on your back under the vehicle!
Post #837699 17th Jun 2020 5:03am
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Do you know what brand of socket you used?
Post #837722 17th Jun 2020 7:28am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Afraid not, I borrowed it off a mate.
Post #837780 17th Jun 2020 12:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A question for anyone who's done this job (ball-joint replacement) please, did you have any trouble splitting the taper on the balljoint? If so, how did you do it?

It doesn't look as though a conventional ball-joint separator would fit in the limited space available.

Thanks.
Post #837787 17th Jun 2020 12:58pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
To tighten, decent quality (i.e. non-cheese) ring spanner on the nut and then tighten it with your foot bracing against the wheel. Same to loosen it.

With the nut loosened you can get a bar/drift onto the end of the ball joint thread and give it a healthy whack to break the taper. Note that the nut should only be loosened off a few turns for this process as if for whatever reason you were unable to break the taper you would still be able to re-tighten it and use the vehicle. If the nut is removed and the thread damaged in the process of attempted loosening then this may not be possible, leaving you stuck.
Post #837791 17th Jun 2020 1:18pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I used a piece of steel bar from underneath and hit it with a decent sized hammer - couple of blows and it separated.

blackwolf wrote:
A question for anyone who's done this job (ball-joint replacement) please, did you have any trouble splitting the taper on the balljoint? If so, how did you do it?

It doesn't look as though a conventional ball-joint separator would fit in the limited space available.

Thanks.
 Rgds.

Chris
Post #837901 17th Jun 2020 7:43pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
blackwolf wrote:
Sadly it is often difficult to detect movement except when it clunks, and often the only way to check it is to replace it.

If you do replace it, be aware that removing the old ball-joint from the housing can be extremely difficult and it is usually easier to buy a new bj pre-fitted in the knuckle.

Does anyone know who supplies these? The ones mentioned earlier don't seem to come pre-fitted. Thanks
Post #839444 24th Jun 2020 5:13pm
blackwolf

I know that Glyn Lewis supplies complete ones, with greasable adjustable balljoints, I don't offhand know of standard OEM suppliers. I'm sure someone will be along soon though.

I have just finally managed to remove the pressed in balljoint from the one I'm overhauling, but to get it out I had to run a 50mm Rotabroach cutter through from the back, then it still took 10t on the press to get the remains out.
Post #839465 24th Jun 2020 6:33pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Family member has a 2.4 and has quite a heavy clunk. He can manage to reduce the clunk between gear change, by sweet control on the clutch.
He asked me to check it, and I felt it really bad when I did this test:
On an incline, brake pressed, released a bit the brake, drive train slack all on one side if you understand what I mean, put in gear and release clutch. There it clunks heavily, taking up all slack in drive train. It does exactly the same when the vehicle is on a descent, and reverse is engaged.

I know he recently went for one piece half shafts, out of a blue box, but no improvement noticed. A frame ball joint does not look bad, although has not been take out for closer inspection. Prop shafts are good.
What are the chances that it is the adapter shaft? Should I also replace the clutch? As for the clutch, vehicle on flat ground, gearbox in 1st gear, engine off, if I push the vehicle back and forth, I can hear what seem to be the springs on the clutch plate squeaking. There is no spring rattle in neutral. Clutch release is smooth. One noticeable difference between his 2.4 and my 2.2, when I put my 2.2 in 1st gear, clutch still depressed, the vehicle wants to move a bit forward, so I think it already takes the slack. I have little to no clunk on my 2.2

Your thoughts are appreciated. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #846578 28th Jul 2020 5:42am
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Tribord wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Sadly it is often difficult to detect movement except when it clunks, and often the only way to check it is to replace it.

If you do replace it, be aware that removing the old ball-joint from the housing can be extremely difficult and it is usually easier to buy a new bj pre-fitted in the knuckle.

Does anyone know who supplies these? The ones mentioned earlier don't seem to come pre-fitted. Thanks

Quick update - It sounded like the clunks I was getting were a result of the A frame ball joint, I couldn't find a pre-fitted replacement, so got a new LR one fitted at the garage. After this, I was getting a different clunk, still from the rear but more frequent. I found a lot of movement between the drive shafts and flange, so this afternoon replaced with LOF one piece units - clunk has gone, but more importantly so has all the drive train slack! Wow what a difference! I first mentioned the uncomfortable gear changes in 2013 to LR under warranty - they checked it and told me it was normal. This was repeated a few times over the years and always the same response, so I just adjusted my driving style to make a smooth as possible. Wish I had got around to it much earlier. Highly recommended modification.

btw, I note LOF only do them for the rear. I haven't checked movement on my front wheels - are they typically not a problem?
Post #902764 12th May 2021 8:16pm
blackwolf

The fronts don't seem to fret as badly as the rears, but for obvious reasons a one-piece flange/shaft couldn't be used at the front anyway.
Post #902785 12th May 2021 9:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve been getting this, tracked it down to the A frame. I have almost new rear DM and half shafts.
There is movement, a knock from the A frame which is either the top links to chassis bushes gone or the ball joint.
I’ve decided to replace all of it, genuine rubber bushes and the Gwyn Lewis greasable A frame ball joint as a complete unit.
Not cheap! But little point in not doing all three regardless due to age and fixings May as well be replaced too.

It’s not a job I’m going to do myself, however I do have all the parts.
The parts acquisition being made all the more difficult by the confusing parts vs defender age confusion. Of which pre 09 is not M16 fixings and bushes but inertial sizing.

I’ve had good life out of all of it that I have, can’t complain as it all takes a beating!
I thought I may as well get a greaseable ball joint that is pre assembled as it brings labour costs down when fitting and also has the greasing cabal out which should extreme life a little longer too.
Approx £180 to £200 in parts, but exc labour as of yet. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #902863 13th May 2021 3:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>