↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Tesla Paradox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
The Tesla Paradox
Highest Emotional Attachment, Lowest Quality, Says J.D. Power.

"people who own Tesla vehicles are so excited about them that they are willing — within limits — to live with their serious quality problems."

Sound familiar to classic Defender owners?

JLR, perhaps unwittingly have been nurturing this particular paradox long before Tesla came along.

“Tesla vehicles, in their first time appearing in the survey, were found to have 250 problems per 100 vehicles compared with an industry average this year of 166 problems.”

Looking at a few new owners on here, they both look like good figures.

There is an irony in "rattles and squeaking that are more noticeable in an electric vehicle because it’s quiet.”

“In the survey measuring cars’ appeal, Tesla scored 896 out 1,000 points, better than any other brand."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/20...-jd-power/
Post #846066 26th Jul 2020 7:33am
Tim in Scotland

You only have to watch Ryan Shaws You-Tube channel to see some of the poor quality that some Tesla owners have to put up with. At least he has a service centre near to him in LA.
A Tesla 3 or the forthcoming Y were on my interesting new cars list when I was looking for a replacement for the Countryman, the problem of the nearest (and only) service centre in Scotland is 60 miles away from me counted heavily against the Tesla For me as well as the fact that they seem to suffer more QC issues than LR products........
my niece’ S husband has been driving a Tesla3 Performance for almost 6 months now and hasn’t had a single fault so there must be people out there with an awful lot of problems. Poor/inconsistent panel gaps, rattles/squeaks and dire paint application seem to be the main issues facing Tesla owners. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846070 26th Jul 2020 7:59am
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi, our friends have owned their Tesla 3 dual motor since September last year and have had no issues with theirs at all, it is used for their London commute and also frequently travels to Yorkshire and Plymouth, I must admit I do like it Embarassed I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but if we were in the market for an ev we would definitely consider one Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #846080 26th Jul 2020 8:48am
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
And has it not been always so! - In similar surveys of old the most popular (high volume)car models (focus, vectra etc) were always low in the ranking whilst the more obscure and lower sales volume cars were well rated. Why? Because most of the high volume models were company cars given to their drivers who automatically didn`t like it and found fault because they wanted the GLS model, not the L or whatever. Whereas the owner who put his own money on the line and bought his choice of car is always going to defend that choice (no-one likes to be proved wrong), so gave good reviews.
I have just given in to logic and next week will stop using my 110 to burn £300 of diesel every month commuting into work and will start using (an estimated) £60 of electricity instead. Not a Tesla - the issues reported with them put me off the brand. The saving goes a long way towards a lease payment - leased because I don`t want a 3 year old electric car at the end of the term. We will see how technology has advanced in the next 3 years - hopefully in terms of range and lower cost as electric cars get more mainstream. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!
Post #846367 27th Jul 2020 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1