↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Another tire question..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
CFB

United Kingdom 
It's a tricky one alright, I really like the look of the 285/75/16 as they fill out the arches well but higher speed performance seems affected as the wide tyres and larger diameter seem to sap power somewhat.

The difference between these and standard 235/85/16 is only around 1.5" thus around 0.75" extra under the diffs which is not really that much, although I'm sure tread depth comes into play here too as MT's will usually have a deeper tread so the overall diameter will increase.

I think I have settled on the new 265/75/16 General Grabber AT's for everyday use and a second set of 285/75/16 MT's on steel modulars for major off road stuff. No lift planned although the nose could do with coming up a bit so might fit HD front springs. Andy
Post #84559 15th Aug 2011 7:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nicknick

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Save money here!!
I run bfg km2s on my puma and goodyear mtr on my tdv8 vogue, I travel up and down the motorway , off-road 2-3 times a month and regularly tow heavy trailers with both vehicles. tyres these days are so good particularly the km2 (other good mt tyres are available) that i think you will be wasting your money on at,s and a second set of mud terrains. Modern mud terrains are quiet, grip well on wet tarmac and wear well, save some cash and a load of arseing about swapping wheels and get some good brand mud terrains.....of course this is just my opinion and experience. Thumbs Up
Post #84584 15th Aug 2011 9:18pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
That's good to know, 2 sets is a PITA but I was just not sure that the KM2's were any good, I'm not keen on the rounded shoulder design but if they work well that's all that matters. Andy
Post #84586 15th Aug 2011 9:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have decided on KM 2's as they seem on the whole the best performing Thumbs Up
Post #84589 15th Aug 2011 9:45pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Re: Save money here!!
nicknick wrote:
I run bfg km2s on my puma and goodyear mtr on my tdv8 vogue, I travel up and down the motorway , off-road 2-3 times a month and regularly tow heavy trailers with both vehicles. tyres these days are so good particularly the km2 (other good mt tyres are available) that i think you will be wasting your money on at,s and a second set of mud terrains. Modern mud terrains are quiet, grip well on wet tarmac and wear well, save some cash and a load of arseing about swapping wheels and get some good brand mud terrains.....of course this is just my opinion and experience. Thumbs Up

We share that opinion Thumbs Up I have covered over 26,000 miles in about 13month with my BFG M/T KMs and they have been fine on and off road- mud in Wales, Snow in the Alps and now the sandy rocky regions of Cyprus. I was a bit dubious about the new tread pattern of the KM2, but by the sound of things the road manners are even better than the KMs I have and they haven't lost any of their off-road ability.

Downside: you will loose a couple of miles to the gallon. As for loosing power- never heard of it and I can cruise at 85-90 all day (If I have enough green to keep the tank topped up).

The only time having 2 sets of tyres would be advisable would be 1 set of road and 1 set of extreme (e.g. Simex ETs)

Money saved here can be spent on another toy Wink

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #84618 16th Aug 2011 6:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12