↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Steering Squeaks - Like a nest of birds!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Broonster

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Steering Squeaks - Like a nest of birds!
Hi all,

I have some squeaking coming from the steering column area of my ‘08 Puma 90 and it’s driving me UTTERLY INSANE every time I drive it. The best way to describe the sound is like a nest of half a dozen baby birds, all chirping for food!

It squeaks constantly over roughly surfaced roads, small bumps etc. The only respite I get is when there is a left turn on the steering wheel, when it goes away. At soon as it’s straightened up again, or steering right, it’s there again.

I’ve had the steering column cover off and can’t see anything that would cause it (and sprayed anything that moves with silicone lubricant). I’ve had the bonnet up and sprayed silicone lubricant on the steering column joints etc. No joy though.

I’m now wondering if it’s coming from the steering damper and the noise is travelling up, making it *sound* like it’s in the steering column inside the cab? It’s a reasonably new Bilstein damper, about 7 or 8 months old.

Any suggestions or ideas? Confused
Post #831128 14th May 2020 10:12pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Don't know what the setup is on newer Defenders but does the trim behind the steering wheel touch the steering wheel at certain points? Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #831148 14th May 2020 11:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the upper damper fixing isn't loose and also the bonnet hinges, a couple of things I can think of. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Red, White & Boost! 🇬🇧
Post #831152 15th May 2020 12:54am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Steering damper was the culprit of my steering squeal. It was the seal of the damper itself so just gave it a squirt of silicone lube and all is well again.
Post #831155 15th May 2020 6:04am
Broonster

@Sako Nah, it’s an aftermarket steering wheel (Exmoor Trim) and there no rubbing at all, not even close.

@Steve, damper fixings appear okay. Skooshed the bonnet hinges with lube, but no difference.

@Col, I’ve lubed up the length of the damper shaft ( Shocked ) by moving the steering full lock to full lock. Does that get into the seals or did you need to take the damper off, open it up etc.?

Thanks for your suggestions chaps. It’s one of those that I’d happily put up with all the other rattles, if I can just get this squeak sorted! Laughing
Post #831252 15th May 2020 4:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I know it's a pain but have you tried putting the front up on axle stands and going lock to lock on the steering?
That would help you determine if it does it in motion or body weight distribution affects it.

If it still does it, then you may be able to locate it better even more so if you have a helper.
Then you could track it down to the culprit if it still does it on stands as that allows you to turn the wheels lock to lock without moving.
Obviously don't hold it on full lock, but there are a few things you could determine by trying it.
I know the sound you've described and it does sound damper related or similar as mentioned by the other member above.

Might be worth trying. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Red, White & Boost! 🇬🇧
Post #831254 15th May 2020 5:13pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Broonster wrote:
@Sako Nah, it’s an aftermarket steering wheel (Exmoor Trim) and there no rubbing at all, not even close.

@Steve, damper fixings appear okay. Skooshed the bonnet hinges with lube, but no difference.

@Col, I’ve lubed up the length of the damper shaft ( Shocked ) by moving the steering full lock to full lock. Does that get into the seals or did you need to take the damper off, open it up etc.?

Thanks for your suggestions chaps. It’s one of those that I’d happily put up with all the other rattles, if I can just get this squeak sorted! Laughing

Nothing like Lubing the shaft on a Friday night!! Yes that was all it took the quiet my damper.
Post #831268 15th May 2020 7:04pm
Broonster

IT WAS THE BLOODY BONNET!! Banging Head

I thought it worthwhile updating this thread with the solution, in case anyone else comes across similar issues. After much Googling (which actually brought me to an old thread on this forum, I think Question ) someone had suggested bonnet hinges, rubber stops, bonnet catches etc. Anyway, I greased & lubed anything bonnet-related and it's only gone and bloody worked! Specifically, I'm 99% sure it's the two little rubber bonnet stops that touch the engine bay above the radiator when the bonnet is closed. There must be movement in the bonnet when you drive and the rubber ends push & squeak against the metal.

I was utterly convinced it was steering / steering column related, as that's where the squeak appeared to come from. Just goes to show how noise travel works sometimes!

Anyway, I'm over the moon - I can't tell you how much it was driving me nuts! I can now listen to all the other rattles when I'm driving in peace! Laughing ‘08 Defender 90 Hardtop
Post #845015 21st Jul 2020 9:56am
ChrisCSL

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for sharing, always good to hear the fixes.

My steering 'groan' is most likely down to shot damper bushes which are being replaced today. Hopefully I'll also be over the moon later. Been cringing when I'm parking near people with steering lock on GROANING loudly. I can get back to trying to managing the sh*t turning circle.

Chris
Post #845028 21st Jul 2020 10:53am
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Well done.

It's amazing how many squeks and rattles the bonnet is responsible for!! Enjoy the drive Thumbs Up
Post #845041 21st Jul 2020 12:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1