↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 Oil In ECU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tank

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver
TD5 Oil In ECU
OK, before I take the seat out, that the only way to get to ECU as I have after seats, what are the faults with oil in the ECU?

Driving along and the speedometer goes wobbly and then stops working! The engine also seems to have a hesitation and is down on power! Switch the car off and on again and seems to all go back to normal!

Is this oil in the red plug in the ECU?

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Cheers

Duncan
Post #835297 5th Jun 2020 3:31pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Yes it could be. Strange electronic behavior and the engine not nice running are symptoms of oil in the red ECU plug.

First you could have a look at the plug at the front of your engine. The one that front right side in the upper part off the engine. But connect from below. If there is no oil there in no oil near the ecu, but if there is oil there might be oil at the ecu. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #835304 5th Jun 2020 4:28pm
Tank

Thanks Roel. Thats tonights job then Smile

Duncan
Post #835305 5th Jun 2020 4:31pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
roel wrote:
Yes it could be. Strange electronic behavior and the engine not nice running are symptoms of oil in the red ECU plug.

First you could have a look at the plug at the front of your engine. The one that front right side in the upper part off the engine. But connect from below. If there is no oil there in no oil near the ecu, but if there is oil there might be oil at the ecu.

Not always the case, i had oil in my ecu and a dry injector harness plug. However my rocker cover gasket was leaking quite badly and my crank sensor + plug were covered in oil and the wires were slighlty damaged so i think the oil was being wicked in from there. No roblems since changing the crank sensor wiring and rocker gasket.
Post #835484 6th Jun 2020 1:36pm
Tank

Hi Stefan

Yeah I have a dry injector harness plug at the head! Weird! Still to take the seat out to check the ECU but if its dry at the head end you wonder if there would be oil in the ECU?

Duncan
Post #836756 12th Jun 2020 12:09pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
It might be a loose earth or bad earth somewhere. That could be near the ecu or in the dash. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #836865 12th Jun 2020 7:20pm
Kernow

United Kingdom 
Oil in the loom and ECU is common with the TD5 Discovery. I don't think I've come across a single one that hasn't been affected. A LR technician told me once that their approach was to spray the socket with brake cleaner and leave it face down to drain out overnight. He told me he never knew of it not working.

At the same time the injector loom should be changed. You may get a residue of oil come through until the external part of the loom is clear.

Some people have reported success by putting another connector in that part of the loom that comes from the head to break the flow. It is apparently a capillary action down the conductors inside the insulation.
Post #839975 26th Jun 2020 10:07pm
Davethebassist

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD CSW Scotia Grey
I've had the same problem, poor starting etc etc.

I've changed the injector loom but since the problem seems worse than ever. Always solved by a quick spray and dry out overnight then starts fine.

Do I need to be more patient or do I have another problem?

Possibly bad Earth somewhere?

Any advise gratefully received, it's driving me mad!
Post #843576 14th Jul 2020 7:23am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Kernow wrote:
Oil in the loom and ECU is common with the TD5 Discovery. I don't think I've come across a single one that hasn't been affected. A LR technician told me once that their approach was to spray the socket with brake cleaner and leave it face down to drain out overnight. He told me he never knew of it not working.

At the same time the injector loom should be changed. You may get a residue of oil come through until the external part of the loom is clear.

Some people have reported success by putting another connector in that part of the loom that comes from the head to break the flow. It is apparently a capillary action down the conductors inside the insulation.

When my TD5 Disco had this problem I ended up opening up the ECU and cleaning it both outside and in with brake cleaner, finally resealing it. At the same time I replaced the within-engine harness with a new genuine one that I had sealed properly beforehand, and for about one month afterwards I regularly cleaned the residue that was still oozing from the external harness. After this there was no further residue.

That was at least 15 years ago and it has given no trouble since.
Post #843587 14th Jul 2020 7:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1