Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
My first actual look
Ok so like many,

We read the reviews
We check the configurator
We look online at pictures

A planned appointment for hospital today saw me pass a LR dealer and thought..let's have a look.

They had around 4 at the front and one inside.

I'm ok with the look, no problem, things I would like more..the lights at the back, the plastic trim on the wings but overall I think it sits well.

Having looked at it and discussed it with the family who were with me, I don't think it's for me. I'm not going to go into our reasoning as I'm sure some of you have them / on order etc and hope you will be happy with it.

It will drive so much easier with auto everything and air suspension.

Here are some pictures, I actually liked the colour of the one in the showroom with a white roof.

Dealer who came out and showed me the one inside still commented on mine 👍👍

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #840742 30th Jun 2020 6:08pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I like em.

I prefer the hardtop.

I’d sure a shi* have one if i could afford.

Satin green HT 90 on white steelies please.
Post #840760 30th Jun 2020 7:18pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It certainly looks a lot nicer and better proportioned than the D5. I just wish they hadn't called it Defender, they could have called it Discovery Terrain or even Defender Sport would have been better. However good it turns out to be it will never in the eyes of many traditionalists be a Defender. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #840786 30th Jun 2020 9:12pm
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
I always thought that they should have just called it The Land Rover - Defender was just a name they came up with to differentiate it from the Discovery. Maybe the Series V Land Rover.

One of our old club members was introducing himself at his first meeting "I'm Brett and I have a REAL Land Rover - a Defender" - we quickly informed him that real Land Rovers have leaf springs and non-synchronized gears in first and second. This argument has been going on for many, many years.

Driving a Series I or II Land Rover will certainly make more of an impression on you than a modern Defender.

Click image to enlarge
Post #842229 7th Jul 2020 3:41am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
With you Stacey
I went to look at the weekend too
I really like it, but struggling to see where it would fit. I don;t see it as a replacement for my Defender, but I do see it as a really nice luxury SUV.
Agree therefore with discomg too... Wis they had called it something different, and brought out a rugged, de-electroniced version next year as a "farmers special", £10k cheaper and more ruggedised/basic (so we can bling it up ourselves as we always add farkles to our Defenders Smile)
The Grenadier looks more interesting as a Defender replacement..

Would still like to own a New Defender though - just can't justify £45k right now wiith covid and potential looming redundancy...

If the sales guy had found a nice special deal, (like a cancelled order) at a fire-sale price my credit card would have twitched tho Wink Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #842291 7th Jul 2020 11:37am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Saw one on the road today - me "That's the new Land Rover"
SWMBO "Looks O.K. is it a Range Rover or a Discovery?"
Me "Neither it's the replacement for our proper Land Rover"
SWMBO " No that's not!"

A wave was inappropriate - I was driving my Wrangler Rolling with laughter Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #842746 9th Jul 2020 1:34pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just got back from Duckworth Land Rover this morning having had the DS in for a faulty front camera - not a new Defender on show. Big Cry Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #842749 9th Jul 2020 1:45pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
JackW wrote:
I always thought that they should have just called it The Land Rover - Defender was just a name they came up with to differentiate it from the Discovery. Maybe the Series V Land Rover.

One of our old club members was introducing himself at his first meeting "I'm Brett and I have a REAL Land Rover - a Defender" - we quickly informed him that real Land Rovers have leaf springs and non-synchronized gears in first and second. This argument has been going on for many, many years.

Driving a Series I or II Land Rover will certainly make more of an impression on you than a modern Defender.

Click image to enlarge

I'd tend to agree there.... Cool
Post #842760 9th Jul 2020 2:37pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Hmmmm I've never owned a real Land Rover then Laughing Just a 100+ of whatever the next type are called.
Post #842761 9th Jul 2020 2:38pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
My neighbour has just collared me to say his son-in-law is visiting with a new Defender tonight and I'm welcome to go and have look round it. Quite looking forward to it Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #842779 9th Jul 2020 4:26pm
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
GREENI wrote:
Hmmmm I've never owned a real Land Rover then Laughing Just a 100+ of whatever the next type are called.

Then you have not truly suffered in the traditional manner, or experienced some of the true joys of early Land Rover ownership like replacing the bushings for the leaf spring that are pressed into the frame rails. But it's all forgiven when you are idlng down a green lane with the windshield folded down on the bonnet and a big smile on your face. Nothing brings a smile to.my face faster than short run in one of my Series IIA Land Rovers, they are just a lot of fun.

The coil spring trucks are just a bit too civilized - if you're not suffering just a little bit are you having fun?
Post #842796 9th Jul 2020 5:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Bluest wrote:
My neighbour has just collared me to say his son-in-law is visiting with a new Defender tonight and I'm welcome to go and have look round it. Quite looking forward to it Thumbs Up

Just had a good nosey in and around a Pangea Green first edition. Had the snorkel and roof rack. £65k list apparently. I thought it was very nice overall. More minimalist than I expected inside. Reminded me of my old Disco 4 work cars in a lot of ways. Definitely looked better in the flesh than in photos, but can’t say it really filled me with excitement either. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #842838 9th Jul 2020 7:19pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
"but can’t say it really filled me with excitement either"

Exactly.... A new car, A new Defender.... we should be excited, heart rate pumping, excited to choose our spec, the wait as its built... looking forward to it......ooooh wait......nope, seen it, its perfectly ok....but just doesn't hit the spot Thumbs Up
Post #842845 9th Jul 2020 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1