↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Any 12v electrical Experts on here ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Any 12v electrical Experts on here ?
So my 110 has twin odyssey with dc dc ctek so they will recharge property to 100%
My 90 has New twin optimas with tmax split charge , which I know won’t keep optimas in top condition but it has a 120w solar with Victron mppt and has profile for agm batteries ....
I think this should keep optimas in top shape ,
My question is , do I still need dc dc or will mppt keep batteries in good condition? Have fun be happy
Post #841099 1st Jul 2020 5:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
The victron charger will do a more than adequate job
Post #841191 1st Jul 2020 9:49pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
So you've got two charge sources in the 90.... if the solar controller has got a correct charge profile for the optimas (assuming they're agm?) then given enough direct sun and time it'll charge to 100%. If you have to rely on the split charge relay you won't get 100%, but for an agm in a defender the difference between a proper charge profile and the alternator voltage will be negligible. You certainly won't damage them even without the solar charger.

Only really need a strict charge profile for lithium.
Post #841644 3rd Jul 2020 8:34pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
The MPPT will obviously supply power to the batteries via the panels, but it depends on the load you are putting on the batteries. More load beyond the input from the solar panel will drain the battery.

The benefits of a dc/dc charger are if you have a smart alternator that varies it's output when the vehicle is being driven or if you don't have a secondary input ( from panels or wind ), otherwise a standard VSR will suffice.
Post #841650 3rd Jul 2020 8:47pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Thanks people.
My concern is that when mppt is charging it will trigger relay and drag the starter battery down to aux battery level , as aux is running a fridge .
I’ll run it for a bit but think I will swap out mppt and VSR for ctek dc dc .
Cheers tom Have fun be happy
Post #841948 5th Jul 2020 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Badger110

To stop that, I placed one of these after the vsr before battery. Simple button press and you isolate the 2 batteries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MagiDeal-20-100A-...B0745Z97QV
Post #841963 5th Jul 2020 6:36pm
miker

If the voltage gets high enough to energise the VSR, then the aux battery is at a higher voltage than the starter, so will only be topping up the starter...
Post #841978 5th Jul 2020 8:12pm
Badger110

Not quite, it will equalise the batteries until the VSR closes

13.7v on the leisure and 12.4 on the starter, the relay opens from leisure side and equalises the 2 batteries to 13v.

The relay will then close as the voltage on the leisure side drops below 13.7.

Each time the relay opens, it leeches power from the leisure.

At least that’s how I think it works and why I fitted a breaker after the VSR.
Post #841989 5th Jul 2020 9:15pm
miker

So relay closed = batteries joined.
Relay opened = batteries isolated.

When the relay activates (closes) the solar mmpt will charge both batteries, albeit more slowly than charging a single battery. It will open if the load applied is too high, and will keep the starter battery perfectly well charged to start the engine.
If the whole bank is floating above 13v, it has no need to be isolated as it's all fully charged.

The split charge has hysteresis, and if it's a victron split charge some level of intelligence. So the initial rush may well dip the voltage of the leisure slightly, but it will hold closed until the bank drops below 12.8v or so. They're designed to be installed in a way that enables loads on one side to not drain storage on the other, and for charging on one side to charge both once one side is sufficiently charged.
Post #841993 5th Jul 2020 9:25pm
Badger110

Yes i see how that works, i was complicating things by incorrectly saying ' open ' meaning the relay has bridged the connection, when it's actually 'closed ' as you said.
Post #842183 6th Jul 2020 8:10pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
miker wrote:

The split charge has hysteresis, and if it's a victron split charge some level of intelligence. So the initial rush may well dip the voltage of the leisure slightly, but it will hold closed until the bank drops below 12.8v or so. They're designed to be installed in a way that enables loads on one side to not drain storage on the other, and for charging on one side to charge both once one side is sufficiently charged.

Correct.

However, despite hysteresis I noticed a cyclic closing and opening of the relay (NL split charge + CTEK charger, but should be similar with other VSRs). This could happen, if voltage difference between the batteries is rather high, say aux has 11,8V and starter 13,0V (just examples).
When both batteries are connected, total voltage can be below hysteresis' lower threshold, so relay opens. Voltage then rises again above upper threshold, relay closes and so on.

To avoid this, I added a switch to disable the split charge system. Also both batteries have their own CTEK connector, so I could charge either one separately, in case it gets deeply discharged. (though it never happened again, since I installed it 3 years ago Laughing )
Post #842406 7th Jul 2020 7:15pm
miker

Definitely possible with a simple VSR, less likely/shouldn't happen with the algorithm in the Victron Cyrix range.
Post #842408 7th Jul 2020 7:18pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Ah, interesting. Just read the datasheet. I seems to also watch a trend in voltage change, not just momentary values. That's better. Thumbs Up
Post #842414 7th Jul 2020 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1