Home > Series Land Rovers > Reversing light wiring on SIII
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Reversing light wiring on SIII
Hello

Ages ago when I put new lights / trim on my car I thought the reversing light worked. Just checked and it doesn't.

At the back the wiring of the reversing light only has two wires, a black which is ground to the body of the car and a red that attaches to another wire that seems to go back behind the rear two lights (signal and brake) I cannot fully tell.

I also am unsure from memory if it worked putting the car into reverse or flicking a switch on the dashboard. I have two switched (like plunge switches) one I think is for fog light and one reversing light. I've tried plunging these...nothing

I'm trying to have a look at this in between the horrible weather.

What's the easiest (mot approved) way of wiring the reversing light in assuming I just start again? also as easy as possible as I really do not like car electrics Smile

Thanks in advance
Post #835672 7th Jun 2020 11:56am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You don't need a reversing light for an MOT for a vehicle of S3 age but if you have one it must either come on automatically when you engage reverse and go out automatically when you come out of reverse or be worked by means of a manual switch with a tell-tail to show when it's on.

If it were me, I'd wire it to a manual switch.
Post #835679 7th Jun 2020 12:42pm
Slideywindows

England 
I agree about a manual switch. That way you can have it on with the engine running and in neutral, for instance if you want to do something like close a gate behind you in the dark.

Have you checked the bulb, or put another in to check it?

If still dead, use a simple circuit tester- even a piece of wire connected to a known good bulb and check that the live wire is live when the switch is on and that the earth is actually earthing. (We say earth in the UK, not ground!)

Push/pull switches can become faulty. Are the contacts all clean? If you can, rub them with fine emery paper.

You really need to know if the existing system can work OK with a bit of basic checking, before you bother with a re-wire.

Re-reading your post and that red wire. The red wire is usually tail light - does the reversing light depend on the tail lights being on?
Post #835805 7th Jun 2020 8:10pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the post,

I checked the bulb, first thing I did. Smile

Had another look today and undid the speedo housing...... nest of wires behind !! ooh my... BUT the pull switch (which I'm not sure is the reversing light but think it was?) seems to have a red wire at the back of it that has come apart.

So something is connected behind the switch but then a wire from the switch heads out and is just bare? So this cannot be right (assuming its the reversing light)

The cowling however I moved out about 2 inches, wires everywhere and could not see in to find anything obvious. I don't like car electrics and this looked like a nightmare seems I could make it much worse If stuff came apart..

So a bit lost now Sad

This is the wire.... just in the corner at the bottom

This is what I think is the reversing light switch? or at least what I think the wire is coming from

I did remove the side heater control panel to see if I could get any more access.... but no... really don't fancy taking the clock bit out as I would be worried other leads will come off items..
Post #835817 7th Jun 2020 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1