↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > slimmer BG removable steering wheel boss fitted (security)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
slimmer BG removable steering wheel boss fitted (security)
Just in case anyones interested I just got my BG tyre removable steering wheel boss back from my mate whos a fabricator.
I found like many others complain of that it made the wheel stick out to far, by doing the modifications he's done ive been able to get rid of the spacer/ splined boss so it only sticks out a bit further than the normal wheel.
Main other benefits over a slim line removable boss is this is much more solid and doesnt wobble/ rattle. Along with I can now lock it with the wheel off as a theft deterrent using

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NRG-QUICK-LOCK-a...2a4368a542

I ll put some pics up tomorrow if anyones interested as is a nice modification plus a bit of a security device aswell. Defender puma dormobile camper

Last edited by SailingTom on 26th Sep 2014 7:50am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #360206 25th Sep 2014 9:33pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Heres the first pic to show the start. Although there fantastic by the time the boss is on aswell they stick out a silly amount for a defender

(edit I seem to have lost the pics if you search there is another thread now anyway or feel free to pm me)
What ive done is to remove the main spacer type from a standard defender boss kit which I want to fit straight to the removable part, if you know anyone with good at engineering its easier but theres always plenty of people that will be willing to do it. The back was the first bit done to make it sit level to the boss as shown

This then had to be re drilled to fit. next problem was that the bolt wouldnt have fit down the centre let alone be able to do it up. The good thig about this kit is its very chunky so theres a fair bit of room to play. We decided to take a bit off the socket aswell so its easy to work on in future.

And its a simple as that. This has meant ive now got a removable wheel that I can put there lock over when its off for double security in case they happened to have a wheel with them and when its on sticks out no further than the factory wheel. You can do this with the cheap slimline removable kits but they always seem to have a lot of play where this type is rock solid Thumbs Up

Post #360236 26th Sep 2014 7:49am
sail2win

United Kingdom 
Hi Tom

I know this is a rather old thread but I have just come across it and its what I am looking at doing.

Do you have any photos of the actual modification?

Also the is the quick release B-G Racing and the lock NRG? Are they compatible in that case?

I have a B-G Racing QR and have been thinking about the NRG lock and also modify a boss so it sits closer.
Post #835469 6th Jun 2020 12:43pm
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Watching with interest.... took mine off, wheel moved too far away.... to natural position to reach the stalks...

Sounds like skimming the momo boss back both ends....
Post #835695 7th Jun 2020 1:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1