↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > New vehicle warranties
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

New vehicle warranties
Hi CRC, please can you tell me why, if I choose to buy a new Land Rover product in many other markets than UK and Europe you give a 5 year warranty but in Europe the same vehicles off the same production lines built from the same components only get 3 year makers warranty? It cannot be because the vehicles are more expensive because in some markets they are cheaper than in the home and European markets. Are European market vehicles less reliable to the extent that JLR has no confidence in the product here to give 5 or even 7 year warranties? The marketing guys keep telling us that the cars are world beating products so surely “world beating” products deserve world equalling warranties or is it that JLR are frightened to lead where others fear to tread in European markets on longer warranties? I can buy a Kia for £12000 and get a 7 year no quibbles warranty but spend getting on for £70000 on a decent spec New Defender only gets me a 3 year warranty with so much small print and get out clauses it isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 30th May 2020 3:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #834238 30th May 2020 1:33pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Interesting post Thumbs Up do not hold your breath though while waiting for a reply Wink For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #834246 30th May 2020 2:28pm
DG123

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Just about market confidence. Trying to maximise sales against service/parts revenue and reputation. In many countries where they have more market dominance/confidence Kia themselves only offer 3 year warranty.

It would be a great confidence booster if LR offered a 7yr UK warranty but as gilarion said, I wouldn’t hold your breath. 2012 110 XS SW Orkney Grey
2003 D2 Td5 Black [SOLD]
Post #834250 30th May 2020 3:24pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
As DG123 says, it's all down to market conditions and competition. The vast majority of manufacturers selling in the UK offer three years warranty. Kia offers seven years and Mitsubishi and Hyundai offer five years. So the premium and main stream brands will only increase their warranties when forced to do so by the competition.

(I think MG (Chinese version) and Ssang Yong offer a five year warranty). Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #834255 30th May 2020 4:08pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I thought it was something to do with getting the sales to start off with but kia have done this for a while land rover defender came with three years then I extended the warranty just short of a grand a go so far a new battery land rover 1 customer 0 . trouble is now if I don't do the warranty something major will go . just more money out of our pockets
Post #837827 17th Jun 2020 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1