Home > In Car Electronics > ALM ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 
ALM ???
I recently came across a reference to something Defender / electronic module related that was termed as ALM. I just wondered if any MEMBER here had any relevant knowledge or information relating to this to share.
Post #781893 17th Jul 2019 4:14pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Alarm? It connects to the only other electronic module which is the ECU.

ECU is located under the seat, the Alarm module is located behind the dash (at least in TD5s and TDIs)
Post #782032 18th Jul 2019 5:42pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 
Hiyas mrd1990

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts and Input.
It is really greatly appreciated, especially as the only reply.

Unfortunately, what you imagine and descibe is actually the Lucas 10AS Alarm module,
fitted on the bulkhead behind the dash, that is indeed connected only to the EMS /
ECU ( Engine Management System / Electronic Control Unit) found in TD5's and TDI's
that is indeed located under the seat.

I am extremely familiar with both the Lucas 10AS Alarm module and the Engine managements, both TD5 and later

So this is definately not a Lucas 10AS Alarm module. Although I do get that the ALM acronym makes it seem like an abbreviated term For ALarM

To be clear, I do already know exactly what an ALM is and then some, and I am really only posting here to enquire as to if any other MEMBER here already knows what an ALM is.
Post #784070 30th Jul 2019 3:52pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Asset Library Mechanism. Used for sharing data. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #784129 30th Jul 2019 8:11pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
To be clear, I do already know exactly what an ALM is and then some, and I am really only posting here to enquire as to if any other MEMBER here already knows what an ALM is.

I don't have the foggiest and I'm fairly certain that if you described it's meaning to me in great detail I'd still be none the wiser.

Please do enlighten us though.
Post #784134 30th Jul 2019 8:30pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 
Hiyas all

Please excuse my quizzical indulgence with this "does anyone know what an ALM is" thread.

I work really hard to uncover even this basic kind of name designation information, but somehow repeatedly seem to loose recognition and credit for my efforts when I freely share my knowledge and then others, especially competitors, portray what they learned from me via threads such as this, as something they always knew.

And so in the hope some will at least remember where they learned what the ALM is and what the letters stand for and after my minor soap box moment Razz

I am happy to fully enlighten everyone about the ALM, as requested.

As most know, the Defender has been fitted with a 10AS Alam module / ECU manufactured by Lucas for many years, most noted by it's Green coloured Case. This continued to be fitted even although all other ECU's were replaced and migrated to CAN Bus technology

However it seems that a few years ago, the main Motorola Microcontroller used in the manufacture of the 10AS became obsolete and no longer available.

This was a big problem for JLR, as not only did they need new 10AS Modules to continue building new Defenders but they also had to supply dealers with as 10AS replacements where required.

This latter replacement provision requirement was likely why JLR did not just add a new Can Bus based Alarm etc, but commisioned someone, unlikely to be Lucas, to produce a replacement for the now unavailable 10AS. This replacement was named the ALM (Alarm Locking Module), and was designed to be pin for pin compatible, with the same connectors, and have the same main functionality, such that it could be used as a drop in replacement for a failed 10AS, without any major wiring loom changes.

It also has the same case, shape and style as the 10AS with of course the same mounting lugs. However the case colour of the ALM is no longer Green, but is Black. This close similarity to the 10AS has caused many to errantly refer to an ALM as a Black 10AS.

Land Rovers technical bulletin LTB00893, details repacing a 10AS with an ALM on Defenders that require a 10AS Alarm module to be replaced all the way back to 2007 MY vehicles.

Although I do still have a big question mark on this, as I somehow have an odd man out example, It seems that the ALM, even when retro fitted to replace a 10AS as per LTB00893 also uses an external RFR (Radio Frequency Receiver) and pebble shaped Plips, that is also fitted on all later Land Rovers. In fact SDD asks, with Pictures, which plip type you have to determine if a vehicle is fitted with a 10AS or ALM.

Diagnostically, the ALM does Mimic some of the 10AS Diagnostic access capabilities, but via fixing some technical access errors of the 10AS and having some removed and added functions, means the ALM has to be treated as a different ECU. Hence why no current equipment covers this ALM properly and even LR's own SDD has major problems.

Regardless of any other element or aspect, as a well known and respected first generation developer of diagnostic equipment I / We will continue our on going efforts to produce and add coverage of the ALM on our equipment.

Regards

Colin
Post #787348 17th Aug 2019 1:25pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
thanks for the update.........
Post #787356 17th Aug 2019 2:23pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor

Cyprus 
Hiyas All

So after about 7 months of our investing stupidly huge amounts of time, money and through very concentrated effort, that actually saw me personally get back into doing many hours of coding, testing & documenting stuff (It was fun TBH) and vastly more other elements including purchases besides, we have finally finished and released (at least as part of the Nanocom Beta firmware for now) coverage of this new ALM (Alarm Locking Module) that is supposedly a retro manufactured and mostly plug in compatible vesion of the origionally fitted Lucas 10AS alarm, that seems to be fitted to all new Defenders from about 2013 and possibly before, see my last post.

For detailed Information about this new ALM ECU you can read the Nanocom user guide for it here
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/downloads/preview/alm-ecu

Although some have attached significant value to this ALM ECU coverage, our Aims have always been to help out Land Rover owners and our not having coverage of this odd retro ECU has Always been a bit of a thorn in our side as we have always wished to maintail our 100% coverage of all Land Rover Models and ECU's reputation.

So despite our obvious effort and investment, the amount we are going to charge for adding this new coverage and capability on the Nanocom is exactly Zero. It will be freely added as part of the Defender Body systems that we charge a whopping £48.88 for, to both existing and new Customers.

If you don't have a Nanocom, have no worries, we are sure that after our efforts and releasing coverage, and indeed even on this thread, pointing out that before that no one had even heard of an ALM, we will return to a lost recognition position.

There is a huge amount of past threads on this forum about this Later Alarm ECU, often errantly referred to as a Black 10AS.

Hopefully now with the information, coverage and detailed Documentation we have provided, this Mystery is finally solved and answerd

Regards to All

Colin
Post #797945 13th Oct 2019 1:44pm
plume

France 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
AS10 is not good, I have a problem with it deprograms without reason the keyfob no longer works. the unit is no longer for sale LR does not know how to do ... So if you saver how to remove it it would be nice. my vehicle is in the garage for to look at the problem.
Post #833561 26th May 2020 7:57pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
A question that hopefully BBS SPY ( Colin) can help me with.
I’m a nanocom owner for a Puma.

There seems to be two versions of the black cased ALM ECU.
One that was fitted between 2012 - 2014 , serial numbers starting with CH, and uses the older style Lucas fobs.
One that was fitted from 2014 onwards. Serial numbers starting with DH, has newer fobs with chrome strip.

Apparently like the green AS10 unit before the first generation ALM ECU also became obsolete, hence then replaced with a different newer ALM ECU.
See details on remotekey’s site https://remotekey.co.uk/land-rover-keys-re...larm-ecus/

The question is, “does the nanocom unit support these two versions of the ALM unit in the same way? “ as reading your text in this set of posts you only mention the later ALM unit with new type fobs.

Remote key also state that you can have a problem with the ALM CH serial number versions if the main battery gets low. This can cause the software to be corrupted and they infer that if you try to reprogram with a diagnostic tool, I.e the nanocom, it will become unrepairable by them. Now I may have read this wrong, as the way they have written this is is slightly confusing. But it would be good to get your views on this as well.

I’m sure other owners would be interested in your reply to these two questions and better understanding the nanocom’s capabilities in monitoring and programming these ALM ECU’s

Thanks
Ian
Post #904974 25th May 2021 6:03pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Rather curious to this myself, can anyone confirm that the nanocon can reprogram the DH series ALM? Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #925481 13th Oct 2021 8:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1