↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Styling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Styling
Is the styling treatment of New Defender‘S front view, bonnet design and the fake checker plate likely to hamper New Defender sales as the controversial offset number plate and bland rear styling has turned people off the Discovery 5?
With regard to the offset number plate, Urban must be making a fortune judging by the number of D5’s I’m starting to see with a replacement lower tailgate with a centralised number plate carrier on it! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #833414 26th May 2020 8:41am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've seen so many centralised D5s now I just assumed that a model year upgrade had moved the plate to the middle!

I think the fake CP effect is just one disaster amongst a catalogue so extensive that it won't really make any difference. It certainly won't be the reason I won't be buying one.
Post #833415 26th May 2020 8:46am
J77

Scotland 
Doubt it, there’s been more interest in the new Defender than there ever was for the D5.

The true reason in my eyes for D5 low sales is price and shape, they can centre the number plate and I’m willing to bet it won’t make any difference to sales.
Post #833420 26th May 2020 9:41am
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Re: Styling
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Is the styling treatment of New Defender‘S front view, bonnet design and the fake checker plate likely to hamper New Defender sales as the controversial offset number plate and bland rear styling has turned people off the Discovery 5?
>
>

I was a potential customer for the new Defender. For me the whole package including price means I won't be a buyer. But in terms of looks, I think the back end is the worst. Even the old Defender didn't have such sharp lines at the corners because it was softened by the wrapped around seams. I know the back end is meant to be a "homage" in marketing speak, but to me it is more like a p*** take. It just doesn't match the rest of the modern all curved design. I suppose if the front end had been more "classic", then the back end might fit better. But those square lights?
Personally I'm expecting the back end to be the first to get a "face lift". At that point they may as well drop any claimed resemblance to the old and just let it stand on its own as what it is - an all new model that is probably very good at what it does.
Post #833446 26th May 2020 1:48pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Should just have called it what it is - Discovery 6.

Then we'd all be happy.
Post #833448 26th May 2020 2:22pm
J77

Scotland 
It wouldn’t make any difference how LR designed it or what they called it they would always up set some group.

Can’t please everyone in this world!
Post #833457 26th May 2020 2:39pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Re: Styling
apt100 wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
>
>

I was a potential customer for the new Defender. For me the whole package including price means I won't be a buyer. But in terms of looks, I think the back end is the worst. Even the old Defender didn't have such sharp lines at the corners because it was softened by the wrapped around seams. I know the back end is meant to be a "homage" in marketing speak, but to me it is more like a p*** take. It just doesn't match the rest of the modern all curved design. I suppose if the front end had been more "classic", then the back end might fit better. But those square lights?
Personally I'm expecting the back end to be the first to get a "face lift". At that point they may as well drop any claimed resemblance to the old and just let it stand on its own as what it is - an all new model that is probably very good at what it does.

An interesting perspective, as I found the back end was the aspect I disliked the least! And was/am anticipating the front end will quickly get re-designed to more closely resemble the proper Defender. Wishful thinking maybe? In general I've found the feeback from non-Landy people to be shock at the look of the thing. It is not a good looking car, irrespective of any other considerations. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #833548 26th May 2020 8:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1