↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Dual mass fly wheel or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Green Godess

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Dual mass fly wheel or not?
Having searched elsewhere and still not come up with a definitive answer, how do I know if my 2008, 2.4, 90, has the dual mass fly wheel, or solid fly wheel? Husband is tearing his hair out (not good as not much left!). Thanks Crying or Very sad
Post #833305 25th May 2020 3:08pm
Dexterdog

Hi, To my knowledge it wont have a dual mass as its a TDCI (ford engine) at a 2008 reg. Dual mass I believe were stopped after TD5 defenders
Post #833308 25th May 2020 3:28pm
Green Godess

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Many thanks, husband won't go totally bald now!! Thumbs Up
Post #833309 25th May 2020 3:32pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pretty sure as mentioned it's not a dual mass flywheel, and solid as I was told this with mine and mine I said a similar age.

Out on interest what does a DMF do that is different to solid? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 25th May 2020 6:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #833315 25th May 2020 4:18pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
All TDCi Defenders have solid flywheels. All TD5 Defenders have dual mass flywheels. Obviously if they've been modified you may find exceptions.

Steve, what they chiefly do is fail and cause large bills. Fearing a loss of income with the introduction of the TDCi, with its inherently more-durable sold flywheel, Landrover cleverly designed a driven plate that failed in an incredibly short time, and the frequency of replacement made up for the cheaper parts.

The serious answer is that a traditional solid flywheel uses a sprung driven plate to prevent torsional vibrations from the engine affecting the driveline and to produce a smoother ride. This worked fine on high speed petrol engines, and also low revving traditional diesels.

The introduction of the modern high-speed, high-revving, high-compression diesel found in all modern small vehicles produces far higher levels of torsional vibration, and far higher torque outputs than the petrol equivalents, and this requires bigger springs and more complex driveline damping. Since there is a limit to the size of springs that can be fitted to a driven plate, the springs were moved into the flywheel, and the abomination that is the DMF was created! This is in effect two flywheels mounted coaxially with the two halves having a limited spring-damped radial movement.

What can possibly be wrong with that, a brilliant idea (I hear you cry)?

The problem is that all the time the engine is running the two halves of the flywheel are chattering and eventually they wear to the extent that they wobble about. This causes clutch judder. With a single mass flywheel when this happens you replace the driven plate and cover. With a DMF you have to replace the flywheel as well, which is usually about 3 to 5 times the cost of the other parts.

My experience with my TD5 Disco is that the DMF lasts about 65k miles before the judder becomes intolerable. A typical driven plate should easily last twice this.

My personal dislike of DMFs is simply that they are expensive, non-adjustable, and wear out quickly. Sadly LR went on to invent a single mass sprung clutch set-up that was EVEN LESS satisfactory, something most engineers thought impossible! The problem with the TDCi set-up is that it was and remains difficult to fit the necessary springing in the driven plate to accommodate the massive torque of the engine and yet last the expected life of the driven plate, which should be at least 100k miles. As many folk on this forum know, the early driven plates were simply embarrassing, and lasted only a very short time. They have improved, but are still not exactly great. I've not yet heard of anyone who has actually had to replace a TDCi clutch because the linings have worn out rather than the springs are rattling.
Post #833316 25th May 2020 4:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very well explained Blackwolf, it does make sense - thank you.
When I last had the clutch replaced on mine I was told the flywheel was in good condition as was the intermediate shaft.
(And greased.)
I was finding when I brought the clutch up, there was no drive for a good few seconds with huge amounts of clutch slip.
Luckily I was only about 2 or three miles from home and made it back driving with a lot of care.
Chances are that it was a factory fit Genuine clutch, it is now on the second 2014 generation Genuine clutch.
This clutch has done about 33k now, the first did around 44k which is ridiculously low.

The second clutch that is fitted now seems much better.

When it was in I did ask if I could take a look at the original clutch as you do. I think they thought I was checking up on them. Whistle Rolling with laughter
It was well worn from what I could see at the time. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #833342 25th May 2020 6:47pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
They are improving. My fifth (I think) clutch has done 90k miles and doesn't rattle, but doesn't have much springiness left either. It will be changed as soon as I have time. The one before lasted 60k, but the three before that only managed 90k in total. The factory clutch was changed at 10k.

The next one will be a Transit 4x4 clutch.
Post #833374 25th May 2020 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1