↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shielder bulkhead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Hufflepuff wrote:
The general consensus on galvanizing the genuine LR bulkheads seemed to be they are too thin metal to do it without warping them, and even then there is a question mark over if the galvanize gets into the inside surface of where Land Rover thought it would be a good idea to fold two metal surfaces over each other.

I'm leaning towards ordering one of these Shielder ones. Its £1788 including VAT and delivery direct from Shielder, or what looks like £1620 + delivery from TerrainTech.

https://www.terraintechparts.com/collectio...d-assembly

Curious what their delivery charge is, you have to sign up to see if by the looks of things - they do say free for orders under 30kg, but I imagine the bulkhead will be considerably more than that.

I have known 2 Genuine LR bulkheads stripped and galvanised with no ill effects.
Chunky bit of box bolted across the mounts and the mesh cut out of the vents- all good.

Chris
Post #832587 22nd May 2020 1:14pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
I agree that it would be disappointing to find Shielder's bulkhead is all out of spec, but searching about the web that doesn't seem to be the case, I've located some more positive reviews on other forums.

I also see that LRPARTS are also reselling them:

https://www.lrparts.net/lrc3023-shielder-g...oated.html

which gives me a little more confidence in the quality, and including delivery and VAT that is coming in at £1662.

Does anyone have any idea if the +£200 option for powder coating over the galvanized metal makes painting it easier or harder? I am not planning to paint it myself, instead finding a paintshop somewhere local to do it. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #832632 22nd May 2020 3:16pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Having worked in the R&D Dept. for a powercoat manufacture in southern England. The quality of powdercoat varies from excellent to Censored . The issue lies with both the formulation and the preparation before coating. If either is sub-optimal them either the coating will breakdown, or the coating will peel from the substrate due to corrosion creep. Then there are the issues with getting the primer to adhere to the powercoat.

My thought would be stick with the galvanised, get a body shop to prime, paint and clear coat to a high specification, ideally if you know somebody in a body shop all the better, don't get them to skimp or do it on the cheap, pay more for extra layers of all 3.

Than after/during install waxoyl/dintrol/dynax (choice of sealant) liberally to protect. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #832650 22nd May 2020 4:41pm
Hufflepuff

That's just the information I was after, thanks Zee.

I'll stick to plain galvanized and get friendly with the local paint shops Smile 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #832665 22nd May 2020 5:46pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
If you have a look bearmach do bulkheads as well.cheaper for sure. not perfect but 3yr warranty and they are getting better with every batch.
arrive well packed next day if in stock. fit it then remove it then brace it
get it dipped

clean and rethread all the holes and refit.

Cambrian 4x4 did a very honest and fair report on fitting one supplied by a customer.

pictures and explanation of what was wrong was factual.

lots of other garages report the same issues

nobody near me will fit them......and a few have tried
Post #832679 22nd May 2020 7:00pm
Hufflepuff

Which ones won't the local garages fit Mdm, the Bearmach ones, or the Shielder ones? 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #832707 22nd May 2020 9:12pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
shielder

the bearmach ones are not perfect but better

the paint is poor at best

they dont have every bracket for every year but the ones weve fitted have been ok
Post #832713 22nd May 2020 10:01pm
Hufflepuff

Bother, OK thanks for the information Mdm. I shall ponder the decision a bit longer Big Cry 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #832716 22nd May 2020 10:14pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
sorry i dont often knock businesses but i dont like folk spending their hard earned cash to get the sort of issues that these bulkheads throw up.ill pm you some picture s of the one we fitted to my last rebuild
Post #832721 22nd May 2020 10:32pm
Inguz

Hufflepuff wrote:
Bother, OK thanks for the information Mdm. I shall ponder the decision a bit longer Big Cry

Did you take the plunge on either? I'm in the same boat not knowing which route to go down.
Post #854537 6th Sep 2020 10:01am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
if you have a google Cambrian 4x4 in wales did a very fair and unbiased review of the one they fitted for a customer. it makes sober reading as the amount of hours to get it fitted was massive.

no i wouldn't powder coat anything on a landy bar wheels. find a decent paint shop.

we would fit everything to the new one and then fit it to the chassis, then remove it and strip then paint and rebuild for the final time. then add wax/ rust proofing to any cavities and the usual rust traps.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

bearmach one test fit on a richards chassis
Post #854542 6th Sep 2020 10:59am
donmacn

I’m currently trying to help a friend fit a Sheilder bulkhead to his 1997 300Tdi.

We only got it onto the car today, and the list of glitches is pretty long already;
    Only just fitted at the chassis outriggers / bulkhead feet - I had to ‘wind in’ one of the bolts using its thread to pull it through;
    No holes in the footwells for the chassis to bulkhead brackets;
    No holes for the ‘fusebox’ retaining bolts - and the pressing for the wiring and relay bases is the wrong shape and place;
    No holes for the Alarm ecu;
    No holes on the top of the footwell for the door check bracket, and the ones on the inner face of the bulkhead are too high, and won’t allow the bracket to fit;
    The “step” from the top half of the inner bulkhead face down to the fusebox face barely exists;
    Looks like the n/s bulkhead pillar is about 10mm out (expecting issues fitting the door);
    The lip on the n/s footwell to hold the floor panel looks to be too low (causing the floor panel to sit way off level).

That’s all the stuff I remember so far. I’ll maybe take and post pics with my friend’s permission.

I have looked at the Cambrian 4x4 posts on Fbook - but hadn’t seen that when my mate was research8ng his purchase - how many DIY folk will have a handy bulkhead jig!!

This is the third bulkhead swap I’ve done now, so not my first rodeo, but the first two were genuine bulkheads which had been galved. Nothing like the issues we’re having now.

It looks like we might need to do a ‘quick and dirty’ fit up now, to check the alignment of other things like windscreen / doors / wings / roof before taking it all off again to ‘do it properly’ - assuming it’s going to be possible to make it fit.

If it were me, I think I’d be getting in touch with them, and researching the small claims court. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #936357 4th Jan 2022 9:22pm
billy56

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Arles Blue
I have got one fitted in the last month and it was the second in a row for the guy who did it and he was pleasantly surprised at how well they fitted, but he will not fit their chassis for any money🤣
Post #936652 6th Jan 2022 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345