↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Car Tax timing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sgreenham

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Car Tax timing
I know that if I was to pay for car tax on a new vehicle on the 27th of the month I'd essentially be paying for the rest of the start of the month too, essentially wasting 26 days of car tax. If I was to pay via direct debit is that still the case? So the tax starts immediately but would I still be paying for a full month again wasting 26 days of tax? Hope that makes sense?
Post #832209 20th May 2020 3:42pm
htb2

Scotland 
Yes you would, if I understand the question.
Post #832210 20th May 2020 3:50pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yes. I have a car on SORN at the moment and wanted to retax it now to commence on 1st of next month. Apparently you've got to wait until the 1st of the month otherwise you pay for current month as well.

Seems an odd system where you cannot order (and pay) in advance but hey that's the Gov for you. Why is it every time I think about the Government I start singing that song by Jethro Tull - Living in the Past? Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #832214 20th May 2020 4:15pm
sgreenham

Ok thanks guys. I thought that would be the case. We have a new car coming middle of next week and I think I’m going to SORN it until the 1st June then
Post #832215 20th May 2020 4:21pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Not sure that you can do that?

If it's a brand new car then the first registration can only be done on payment of the registration fee plus the RFL for either 6 or 12 months & they apply that at the date they process the registration.

If you're buying a secondhand car then I have a recollection that as soon as the seller notifies the change of owner they get an automatic rebate on RFL remaining & the new owner can't get a new V5 in their name until the RFL has been paid & you can't SORN a car without a current V5.

Why not wait till the beginning of the week after to get it?

Alternatively just live with it, worst case you'll lose c.£45 if you're paying top whack RFL, less if the car is a lower tax band. It grates I know but that's just the way it works. Same if you sell a car, you can sell it on 1st of the month but you'll forfeit the whole of that months RFL.
Post #832296 20th May 2020 10:27pm
Tim in Scotland

Won’t the dealer hold off on the 1st registration for a couple of weeks even if you have paid for it? Also unless you bought it on line car showrooms are meant to be still in lock down aren’t they so they shouldn’t be handing over a car to you.......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #832303 20th May 2020 11:17pm
sgreenham

It's a used car bought online and it's being delivered. I'm not sure whether its "allowed" or not but it's a big name dealership and they all seem to be offering that service so I'd be surprised if they're all in the wrong.

Yeah maybe you're right about the SORN of the car without the V5 and if that's the case then I'll just pay the extra. I think it may be being delivered on Friday 29th so I could possibly just leave it in the garage and tax it on the Monday after maybe. I'll see what happens.

Edit - I definitely won't do that because I know I'll want to drive it somewhere! Laughing
Post #832338 21st May 2020 9:26am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Stick it on the drive for a few days & tax it on 1 June.

On an unrelated note, if you haven't seen the car in person before I would recommend that you go over it with a fine tooth comb before you sign to accept it, or if not sign with the caveat written on the delivery paperwork to say it has yet to be inspected & you reserve your right to decline the car.

Reason I say this is my brother got stung last year buying an Audi approved used S3. He saw it on the forecourt while his S line was in for service & took it for a test drive not really intending to buy it but just to see how different it was to his car. Anyway the dealership then got back to him & offered him a deal he couldn't refuse so he decided to buy it & a date was agreed for him to collect it & money transferred to the dealers account. On the day in question it was raining so he wasn't able to check the car over properly & just drove it away - he hadn't checked the car over when he drove it as at that time he wasn't planning on buying it. Anyway weather cleared up & he decided to clean the car & that was the point at which he discovered the car had some very badly repaired accident damage on it with paintwork by Ray Charles to use his words! When he took it back to the dealer all they could say was "it's a second hand car" & weren't interested in getting it rectified or taking the car back.

Message is 'buyer beware' I'm afraid.
Post #832416 21st May 2020 5:22pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Trading standards.......

Failing that these days they would find the car sitting in the middle fo their showroom floor

Distinct lack of patience with feckwits
Post #832441 21st May 2020 7:35pm
sgreenham

Yeah I’ve been stung in the past myself many years ago on Civic Type R. Similar scenario to what you mention. Thankfully with the current worldwide situation and having the car delivered to us We no fall under ‘distance selling regulations’ and the dealer has agreed that we have 7 days to had the car back with no quibbles. Also due to my bad experience many years ago and also a pretty terrible experience buying a brand new AMG Mercedes which subsequently had major engine issues, I’m well versed with the Sales Of Good’s Act. You live and learn
Post #832452 21st May 2020 7:57pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
sgreenham wrote:
It's a used car bought online and it's being delivered. :

Don't worry, As what you have said, Bought online and being delivered unseen ?? You will be covered by distance selling rules

If the dealer (being a large one, should have) got his terms and conditions correct you will have 14 days to reject if not as described,,

You can park the car up, off the road until the beginning of the month, if you don't want to lose part month ved ,
The car should be noted with DVLA as "In Trade" So long as the dealer gives you the green part of V5, you can tax on line at month start using the long 12 digit v5 number California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #832488 21st May 2020 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1