↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dyson’s Electric Car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Dyson’s Electric Car
So it was cancelled but there are a couple of photos of it in today’s Sunday Times magazine and its a pretty cool looking machine. Reason to cancel was that to justify the development costs Dyspn would had had to charge (excuse the pun) more than £150,000 each. Now he’s looking to sell on the battery tech that his development teams have done on solid state batteries to other car makers - claimed range out of the 1800 cells that would have been in each car was 600 miles and being solid state batteries no heavy/bulky battery conditioning would have been necessary.
Also a small mention that Jim Radcliffe’s fortune has shrunk by £6 billion to £12 billion - I wonder if the Grenadier project might be canned and if Dyson was going to have to charge £150,000 a pop whatever price will a production Grenadier be? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #831583 17th May 2020 3:28pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Good old James Dyson. Made a fortune by getting rid of his UK production and shifting all of his production to the Far East Thumbs Up

I hope his car battery technology is more long lasting than his vacuum battery technology which I have found has an annoying habit of failing about two months out of warranty. I have googled this and I am not alone.
Post #831617 17th May 2020 6:29pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Number one, on the UK’s rich list !
Post #831632 17th May 2020 7:17pm
Rashers

By putting people out of work?

He would still be rich. The rich have some morbid fascination in getting richer 😚

He talks a good talk. I am not convinced his vacuums are any better than others on the market. Some are cheaper but his it something about vacuums. At one point everyone had a Hoover and that’s what vacuums were called. Some of the other things he is selling now make the new Defender look like a bit of a bargain 😳
Post #831639 17th May 2020 7:36pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Photos?
Post #831640 17th May 2020 7:41pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
His early vacuums were a real breakthrough and were well built and robust. But more recent models have been barely fit for purpose.

We had an early cordless model that suffered from several battery pack failures both in and out of warranty. As Rashers mentioned. In the end I refused to pay through the nose for any more replacement batteries and hacked open the battery pack to graft in some cheap Li-Ion cells from eBay. It lasted another year before the motor died.

Then we purchased one of the 1st totally filter free cylinder models. It was absolutely impossible to empty the dust canister without using your hands to drag out the contents. Useless design. We actually went out and bought a traditional bagged Miele cylinder vac to replace it for less than half the price and it ran circles around the Dyson. I actually wrote to Sir James to express my dismay at the design, asking how on earth he thought it was ready for the market. I got a response back offering to exchange it for the later model, which we did. That one wasn't much better with horrible large diameter extension pipes that looked and felt like drain pipes. The whole thing feels cheap and clunky, the attachment connections are appalling and the cord rewind doesn't.

Oh, and let's not forget his over priced and flawed contra rotating washing machines which appeared on the scene and disappeared shortly after. Never bought one and glad I didn't.

For sure, we won't be buying any more Dyson products for our house.
Post #831650 17th May 2020 8:17pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
So I am guessing his electric car will suck...... Whistle
Post #831654 17th May 2020 8:43pm
Rashers

Yes, lohr500, that just about sums up my feelings about him and his products.

My Mother always said that you need a second vacuum cleaner to be able to adequately clean their Dyson. I tend to agree.

He has just given a shed load of money to his old School in Norfolk for a Science block. Gresham. You have to have the money to spend £299 on a Dyson Hair Dryer to be able to send your Kids there 🙄

Markb110, a classic response 🤣🤣🤣
Post #831655 17th May 2020 8:54pm
Tim in Scotland

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #831660 17th May 2020 9:06pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Love him or loathe him he’s done well and NOT by shipping production overseas, there was a lot more to it - I was working there at the time. He was unable to extend the factory in Malmesbury. There was an increase in the number of product models and not enough space. There were also quality issues - when the first lines went to KL the quality of the finished machines (same lines, same materials as UK) was significantly better. After all production transitioned there were more jobs in Malmesbury than before the production move, they were just different jobs, mostly engineering and testing. That remains the case today, despite the car being dropped.

I’m not an apologist for him and don’t share his politics but he has built up the business from one employee and £500k of debt to circa 8500 employees (3500 in the UK) and global revenues of £4.4bn in 2019. That’s impressive.
Post #831710 18th May 2020 7:55am
Tim in Scotland

When you read the full write up in The Sunday Times 2 things that are often misrepresented about him in the UK press are dealt with - His move to Singapore - yes he bought two £70 million flats but there only 3 employees working out there all very senior managers and second - nobody lost their job when the car development stopped they were re-deployed within the company to develope other tech especially solid state battery tech in which I believe Dyson is a world leader. It is also interesting that none of the big car companies that builds electric cars alongside ICE vehicles has made a profit from them and the profits from building ICE cars are subsidizing BEV’s. So far Tesla has burned through $19 billion of investors money to get to where it is now. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #831713 18th May 2020 8:09am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
not to mention the grants, etc. from California state which Elon then resells to other car makers
maybe he'll regret hi spat about relocating the plant to good ol'Texas or whatever.........
Post #831756 18th May 2020 11:36am
Tim in Scotland

His factory near to Berlin that is being built with German State Aid has run into problems too - after leveling the site they found it was all soft sand and now are having to look for another location suitable to build a mega factory on! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #831765 18th May 2020 12:10pm
Rashers

Musk is very different to James Dyson.

James Dyson is an engineer. He designs things. He thinks things through. As I said previously, you cannot knock the Guy as he is a very intelligent bloke. Musk just employs lots of people who are very clever to make his things and chucks his money at it.

Elon Musk got lucky. He was in the right place at the right time and made a fortune. He is not an engineer. I'm not sure he is a particularly clever manager or leader. He has no idea at all how to run a business other than throwing money at a problem. Most of the time that works (if you have enough of it). Sometimes, it doesn't. He seems to have a similar mentality to President Trump where anyone who doesn't agree with him gets sacked.

James Dyson wasn't in the right place at the right time. We all owned vacuum cleaners (mostly manufactured by Hoover) and he entered a market place where he needed to convince the buying punter that his vacuum was superior to theirs.

You can see a similar thing happening now with Shark and how that is being marketed.

I think Elon Musk needs help. His use (or abuse) of social media shows that he is a Man who really needs help and if you have lots of money and get rid of people who question you, that help is never going to turn up until it is too late.

I think James Dyson could see that he could design an ev car, but manufacturing one is a different thing. The difference between building a vacuum cleaner and a car are polar opposites. The way that Musk has haemorrhaged money is testament to this.

I think James Dyson is a clever bloke. Elon, I am afraid, I am not so sure about. I think if I had have had his money I would have realised that I had got lucky, cashed my winnings, bought an Island and enjoyed my life.
Post #831772 18th May 2020 1:01pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Agreed Musk's rants and choices in various arenas seem to verge on Paranoia and Lunacy in equal measure......ws amazed he got off with abusing that Cave Dive rescue guy by coming up with some old tosh about "paedo" just being some sort of passing remark...
Would never buy one of his products on principle
Post #831843 18th May 2020 7:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1