↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RHD to LHD conversion - 2006 Defender 110 CSW
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BizLightyear

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Chawton White
RHD to LHD conversion - 2006 Defender 110 CSW
We want to convert our 2006 Defender 110 Kalahari (300 tdi) from RHD to LHD in order to bring it with us back to South America (it's currently parked in South Africa). Since our Defender is one of the last ROW Tdi 300's it has the latest Td5 interior trim, dashboard and A/C panel, which I believe came out in mid 2002 (please see attached picture).

We are looking for one of the following four options:

1. Someone in the UK or South Africa that has a same period LHD Defender with the same original Td5 interior dashboard/associated trim and A/C panel, and who wants to convert from LHD to RHD and hence are interested in swapping the required parts.

2. Someone in the UK or in South Africa who is selling the LHD version of the same original Td5 interior dashboard/associated trim and A/C panel from the same period.

3. Recommendations for a reliable repair shop in mainland Europe or the UK who can do the RHD to LHD conversion for us and supply the original required parts, dashboard/associated trim and A/C panel.

4. Recommendations for a reliable repair shop in South Africa who can do the RHD to LHD conversion for us required parts and supply the original required parts, dashboard/associated trim and A/C panel. As far as I understand the following parts are required as a minimum to do the RHD to LHD conversion: Dashboard and associated trim incl. A/C interior panel and switches, LHD seat box, LHD steering box, LHD panhard rod, steering arm, steering pipes, brake pipes, chassis bracket, heater box, headlights, wiring loom. Also the bulkhead needs modifications.

Thanks in advance for your help, ideas and recommendations.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #830904 13th May 2020 4:31pm
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
PM sent. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #831038 14th May 2020 1:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This is one of those questions that comes up every now and again and the general consensus is always that it's not cost effective to pay somebody to do as it's such a labour intensive task. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #831039 14th May 2020 1:37pm
BizLightyear

Hi Darren,
Thanks for your reply. I agree that the sensible thing to do is to sell the Kalahari and buy a LHD elsewhere, but we've spent two years finding a Kalahari and just finished an extensive rebuild that makes it as good as new. Selling it would be like selling a family member Laughing
Post #831057 14th May 2020 3:29pm
Will@LRW

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Having a LHD ROW Defender myself I can tell you that finding one in the UK pretty hard.

You can mostly use Td5 parts, except for everything in the engine bay above the chassis line - adding to your list: clutch lines, throttle cable, heater hoses, vacuum hose. These bits are unique and are either expensive or obsolete if trying to get new. They can be fabricated but that adds to the labour time.

This is a LHD bulkhead and dash on ebay that might be a good starting point (albeit expensive): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264729987048 It'll give you all the fiddly bits and you just need your original looms. There's LHD bulkheads here which are on for a premium: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333598505002

The bulkhead loom should just flip around, even though the part numbers for RHD and LHD are different. This is my video about how the wiring is laid out:

The only cheap way to do it will be to wait for parts to become available second hand. I know someone that converted a ROW Defender LHD to RHD last year, but the parts are now all gone. I've not seen another opportunity in the last 5 years. Otherwise, LHD Td5 parts come up now and then on ebay. But i'm presuming you know this is going to cost a lot Cool

There were a few hundred ROW Defenders sold in Chile and Argentina so it may be an option to source parts over there.

Good luck! I'd love a Kalahari. LR Workshop
Find a Defender's history and spec: https://defender.lrworkshop.com
Post #831062 14th May 2020 4:02pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Can't you just keep it RHD then?

There are quite a few RHD cars on the road on the continent over here. Main pain points are the motorway tolls, but motorways are not fit for Defenders anyway Smile “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #831063 14th May 2020 4:04pm
BizLightyear

Will@LRW wrote:
Having a LHD ROW Defender myself I can tell you that finding one in the UK pretty hard.

You can mostly use Td5 parts, except for everything in the engine bay above the chassis line - adding to your list: clutch lines, throttle cable, heater hoses, vacuum hose. These bits are unique and are either expensive or obsolete if trying to get new. They can be fabricated but that adds to the labour time.

This is a LHD bulkhead and dash on ebay that might be a good starting point (albeit expensive): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264729987048 It'll give you all the fiddly bits and you just need your original looms. There's LHD bulkheads here which are on for a premium: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333598505002

The bulkhead loom should just flip around, even though the part numbers for RHD and LHD are different. This is my video about how the wiring is laid out:

The only cheap way to do it will be to wait for parts to become available second hand. I know someone that converted a ROW Defender LHD to RHD last year, but the parts are now all gone. I've not seen another opportunity in the last 5 years. Otherwise, LHD Td5 parts come up now and then on ebay. But i'm presuming you know this is going to cost a lot Cool

There were a few hundred ROW Defenders sold in Chile and Argentina so it may be an option to source parts over there.

Good luck! I'd love a Kalahari.

Thanks a lot for that very detailed reply, it is highly appreciated Thumbs Up

The problem with Chile is that they do only allow 2nd hand vehicle imports if you, as a chilean citizen, have lived outside the country for several years and have owned the vehicle you want to import in the country where you lived abroad for more than 6 months.

When it comes to ROW spec Defenders in Chile only a total of 10 units of 110 CSW, 300 tdi's has ever been imported and they sadly never get offered for sale Crying or Very sad When it comes to Argentina I know of one Kalahari Edition which was exported to the Falkland Islands (Las Malvinas). There might be more around but I am not able to import one to Chile due to the above mentioned import restrictions of 2nd hand cars. When it comes to Td5's there are plenty in both Chile and Argentina, which as you say can be used for LHD parts Very Happy

Thanks again for the tips Thumbs Up
Post #831075 14th May 2020 5:54pm
BizLightyear

o4dn wrote:
Can't you just keep it RHD then?

There are quite a few RHD cars on the road on the continent over here. Main pain points are the motorway tolls, but motorways are not fit for Defenders anyway Smile

That would have been the best option, however in Chile they do not allow you to register a RHD vehicle by law Big Cry
Post #831076 14th May 2020 5:57pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
... maybe do what most RHD overlanders do and give Chile a miss - with the money you save from doing the conversion you can probably rent a small 4x4 and drive it as a standalone country .... we are looking at the pan am trip for the long term future and will probably just give those countries a miss when we come to them..

Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #831091 14th May 2020 6:31pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Might be a bit of a long shot but try calling Keith Gott Land Rovers down this way. I know they have had a fair few ROW vehicles he's sold in the past & they have so much parts stock they are often used by the stealers to get bits they can't source from LR...

Alternative they may be able to do you a deal on yours against a LHD ROW 110?
Post #831099 14th May 2020 6:45pm
BizLightyear

wyvern wrote:
... maybe do what most RHD overlanders do and give Chile a miss - with the money you save from doing the conversion you can probably rent a small 4x4 and drive it as a standalone country .... we are looking at the pan am trip for the long term future and will probably just give those countries a miss when we come to them..

Whistle

We are not overlanding Chile, we are returning to live there again Thumbs Up

Please don't miss out on Chile on your future overlanding trip Bow down It is one of the most beautiful and diverse countries in the world and great for overlanding. I know of a South African family overlanding Chile in a RHD Defender 130, whom you can ask how they did it. This is the link to their website https://www.a2aexpedition.com/ Smile
Post #831114 14th May 2020 8:21pm
BizLightyear

VVS210 wrote:
Might be a bit of a long shot but try calling Keith Gott Land Rovers down this way. I know they have had a fair few ROW vehicles he's sold in the past & they have so much parts stock they are often used by the stealers to get bits they can't source from LR...

Alternative they may be able to do you a deal on yours against a LHD ROW 110?

Thanks for your reply, it is highly appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #831115 14th May 2020 8:23pm
wyvern

BizLightyear wrote:
[
We are not overlanding Chile, we are returning to live there again Thumbs Up

Please don't miss out on Chile on your future overlanding trip Bow down It is one of the most beautiful and diverse countries in the world and great for overlanding. I know of a South African family overlanding Chile in a RHD Defender 130, whom you can ask how they did it. This is the link to their website https://www.a2aexpedition.com/ Smile

I want to see the county as its one of the top spots of the world but may do it as a stand alone if I can’t take my own transport
... you may be getting a visit ! Thumbs Up Mr. Green Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #831119 14th May 2020 9:14pm
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
I would suggest trying carriages auto services in manchester. They ship a lot to the states so I'm sure they have a supply of LHD parts. They are doing a LHD build for me at the moment which started life as a RHD, although it's under different circumstances and mine's not a ROW spec. I know they did have a row 90 in recently for work but obviously don't have any specifics on what was done.

I tried the usual overland build companies here in the UK, as well as some exporters that I figured would be able to do the work. Honestly it seems like there's little interest in them doing a conversion. I was struggling to find an affordable, solid LHD and it was hard to fly overseas to take a look at anything so that sent me down the conversion route. Most companies didn't get back to me or tried to sell me one from their stock, which would have been okay but they were all out of my budget. Only one place even took an interest in taking a vehicle in for conversion and they said they'd need a year to give me a quote. I thought surely they must mean a model year so I gave them one and never heard back. But 12 months haven't passed so I guess there's still time...

wyvern wrote:

The reason I started looking for a LHD was similar - was looking at doing the pan am. At the time it seemed like although Chile could be skipped, places like Honduras and Costa Rica were refusing passage to RHD vehicles. There was a spike in reports on places like overland sphere and wikioverland but then it all just seemed to fade out with no real resolution. Rather than take the risk I just wanted to get a LHD and not have to worry about it. Out of interest, what's your plan if you encounter this on your journey? These countries unfortunately cannot just be driven around.
Post #831147 14th May 2020 11:20pm
wyvern

There are shipping routes to go round some of these countries or simply route through an adjoining one - however this is very much in the long long term future as we have an ovarlnd trip to Albania next then possibly Iceland with Mongolia in about 3 yrs time... so lots to plan and think about before then and as you know plans may change !

Lots of good info on the various overland blogs from those who have been there - some in LHD and others in RHD vehicles.

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #831161 15th May 2020 7:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>