↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > bit of advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
bit of advice please
hi guys can any one advice me I booked a holiday in Whitby but they have cancelled it due to covid 19 .
they have offered me a chance to rebook it or a voucher all the dates that are available I cannot attend so they say I have to have the voucher .
its a 140 mile round trip so not much use .
I have paid by MasterCard should I be entitled to my money back I'm hold with MasterCard now 140 minuets in losing the will thanks
Post #830827 13th May 2020 9:07am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
They're not allowed to just offer a voucher. Keep pushing.

That said, Mastercard must refund if the value is over £100. I've read that the credit card companies are making life difficult too.
Post #830840 13th May 2020 9:43am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
AMBxx is absolutely correct.
By Law if they cancel or offer alternative dates you have the right to your money back. The can offer vouchers but you do not have to accept them and have the right to a full refund.
Re credit card company. They are subject to section 75 of the consumer credit act - 1974. Here is a link on how make a claim via this route via template letter, plus lots of advice. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping...purchases/
Post #830843 13th May 2020 10:13am
KelvinB

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Did you pay direct or via an agent such as booking .com or expedia?

Did you book before the lock down date?

We own a B&B and teach photography in the Brecon Beacons and have refunded all deposits where requested. We are however eternally grateful to everyone who agreed to a voucher. Try and think about the small business and their cashflow (no grants from councils). All our voucher guests will be upgraded and treated like royalty. Including a trip up a mountain in the 110)

If it wasn't booked direct, get a refund. Booking and expedia treat their customers and B&Bs like sh*t and they take 20% commission from the B&B. Always book direct on the B&B website.

Last edited by KelvinB on 13th May 2020 10:58am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #830853 13th May 2020 10:52am
andydef90

thanks AMBXX and IANH just got off the phone your spot on after two hours on hold they have said I'm entitled to my money back especially when I mentioned section 75 should be back in by Monday
Post #830856 13th May 2020 10:55am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
We were booked to go to London for a few days over Easter and we are supposed to be in Australia right now for a 3 week holiday in a campervan. When it became obvious that we weren't going to be doing either i started applying for refunds. We'd paid for trains, planes, hotels and a campervan all on a credit card. Everybody has been as good as gold and we've either had our refund or it's on it's way, except the campervan.
The conpany have refused a refund, offering a voucher, and even refused to transfer the booking to our friends who live in Australia, we've since been online and found hundreds of their dissatisfied cutomers in the same position. As it was only a deposit, and we'd got refunds from everybody else, i was going to leave it but after reading the helpful info here i'm going to make a claim through my credit card.
Post #830870 13th May 2020 12:29pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
KelvinB wrote:
Did you pay direct or via an agent such as booking .com or expedia?

Did you book before the lock down date?

We own a B&B and teach photography in the Brecon Beacons and have refunded all deposits where requested. We are however eternally grateful to everyone who agreed to a voucher. Try and think about the small business and their cashflow (no grants from councils). All our voucher guests will be upgraded and treated like royalty. Including a trip up a mountain in the 110)

If it wasn't booked direct, get a refund. Booking and expedia treat their customers and B&Bs like sh*t and they take 20% commission from the B&B. Always book direct on the B&B website.

This crisis has brought out the best and worst in people. I hope that by doing what can only be seen as 'the right thing' that people like yourself prosper in the future.
I've already changed my car insurance away from Saga after they treated my parents so badly - first no refunds, then a refund would only be issued if you phoned up and requested. Long wait or a voucher.
I've heard of other companies offering upgrades or voucher for value + x% rather than a refund - sounds like a good compromise, but only for those who booked with a credit card.
For anyone using debit card or cheque - get your refund as there's little or no protection if the company goes bust.
Post #830876 13th May 2020 12:44pm
andydef90

hi kelvinb I fully agree with you however its a multi million pound business and I would take the voucher but it has to be used by early December and I work at a school as a site manager so I'm still working and limited to my holidays not allowed in term time ) so its limited and next dates end of sept and octo are booked . so I would have to use the voucher in the restaurant 260 pounds worth in one transaction and there is two of us . we have told the kennels to put our money in the rescue side and the lady who looks after our cat the same . if the voucher had been in value for a year I would have taken it . also kelvin will you pm details of your b a b my wife and I are wanting to go to the beacons next year
Post #830993 14th May 2020 6:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1