↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Matrix LED lights and fitting aftermarket driving lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pbhawkin

Australia 
Matrix LED lights and fitting aftermarket driving lights
Hi all,
IF i wanted to fit driving lights (any type) to a car with Matrix LED headlights (as on the higher spec Defenders) how would that work? In Australia, where I live, the spotlights have to be wired to ONLY come on when the high beam is activated. So if I have the switch turned to Auto sensing high beam (the Blue high beam light with a 'A") and then they do their switching off of individual segments to an approaching car what happens to the driving lights? I suspect they will remain on and therefore blind the oncoming car!
Is there a way around this or would they need to be turned off and then on by a separate switch?
Post #830246 10th May 2020 11:18am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
In theory you could take a trigger feed from the 'sensor' part of the adaptive headlight system that detects oncoming headlights. When the sensor detects oncoming traffic, it would trigger the auxiliary lighting circuit to be switched off, and then once the oncoming vehicle has passed, switch the auxiliary lights back on. I suppose this might be possible, but I think it might be complicated accessing the relevant part of the vehicles electrical system.

Personally I wouldn't feel that comfortable meddling with such a complicated part of the original electrical system, and would probably go for the separate switch option, but it is theoretically possible. I wouldn't have the first idea how!

The same issue must already have been encountered on current models with adaptive lighting (auto main beam). Perhaps there is already a solution for those vehicles that could also be applied to Matrix LED equipped vehicles? 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #830250 10th May 2020 11:38am
Tim in Scotland

You would possibly invalidate the LR warranty which as we all know is a vital part of LR ownership because if you do add something non-approved then JLR will claim that that is what is causing even unrelated problems. I had that issue with a dealer fitted Tracker system on an Evoque in the pre InControl Secure days. The car was draining the battery in a few days and JLR claimed it was the tracker (approved by them!) that was the cause. Fortunately my local dealership was able to prove it wasn’t the tracker that was causing the battery drain, it was a fault in the battery management system......... The car was also one of the first off the production line and according to JLR it was “impossible” for such a new car to have that sort of problem - that was until lots of other owners also started to suffer severe battery drain! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #830294 10th May 2020 3:09pm
J77

Scotland 
I had both matrix LED headlights crack on my Velar, it was a long battle to get them replaced under warranty, would’ve cost me £6k to replace them, £2.5k +VAT each corner. Rear light cracked as well but they didn’t dispute that one

Post #830311 10th May 2020 3:41pm
pbhawkin

Australia 
Green Machine, I agree that a separate switch will be the easiest option from the sound of it!

J77, Did they say what caused the cracking? I assume it was temperature related.
Post #830390 10th May 2020 10:06pm
J77

Scotland 
They believe that it was due to everything being tightly fitted and causing stress fractures. So far the new ones have been fine.
Post #830393 10th May 2020 10:50pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
pbhawkin,

Maybe worth the wait and test drive a J/LR with the latest headlights. We didn't go for the laser ones on the 18RRS Sport but the upgraded Matrix ones. The difference, particular the partial on/off with oncoming traffic is fantastic, never had a car flashing me and it illuminates the side of the road perfectly, very important here in OZ as you surely know. My advice would be to drive one at night first..you will be pleasantly surprised. m
Post #830394 10th May 2020 10:53pm
J77

Scotland 
As above the matrix LED lights are phenomenal.
Post #830395 10th May 2020 10:55pm
groaner

Australia 
We've got a few cars over here in Australlia with matrix-type LEDs. I've never been a fan, probably because I'm a bit old school, and partially because they don't seem to dip when I'm walking along the side of the road or riding my bike at night - you get a face full of light that is blinding. Great for the driver, not so great for others.

Is this other people's experience?

Cheers
Lucas
Post #830397 10th May 2020 11:27pm
pbhawkin

Australia 
My wife has a 2020 XC60 with them and I note that they are superb in lighting up the road.
I do note that they aren't perfect with their ability not to dazzle oncoming traffic. In particular when I as a driver can see the oncoming car lights through a windy road (or through trees) the LEDs will only dim at the point that there is a straight line to the oncoming car and by then the other driver has already dipped their lights and often as not will then flash me for not already having done so.
Post #830404 11th May 2020 4:03am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Don't compare JLR matrix to ones fitted on Japanese/ Korean cars. The ones on the current Land Rover range are more than one step above. So far I have never been 'flashed' by other other drives, despite having my lights on auto since taking delivery of the car. Maybe worth counting the individual light sections on your wife's CX60 and compare the numbers. Some Korean/Japanese cars have only a handful of sections. m
Post #830409 11th May 2020 6:52am
c4skp

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Just tried a canm8 interface with matrix led to get a high beam output, but no luck.
Going to message them to see if they have found this.
Post #860966 11th Oct 2020 1:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1