Home > Expedition & Overland > Sat navs, best and most reliable for overland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Sat navs, best and most reliable for overland
Hey all

i'm looking for advice on a sat nav for overland trips, the Garmin Overlander caught my eye but at £599 it also made my eye water! it does look good though and if its the best and a must have then a Garmin it is.

What do you use and why and how much has it costed?

In the 110 we will have a TomTom, 2 iPhones and an iPad, but what concerns me is the loss of signal which happens from time to time and being stranded on the Pyrenees for eg with no direction or even worse i fall ill and my son needs to drive.
I understand the Garmin will use 2 types of satellite (Galieo and something?) when the GPS signal is lost, meaning there's little to no chance of signal loss.

Recently learnt about GPX files Exclamation so these are needed (this lock down has had some uses)

Also learned about road books and the Vibraction site, looks great but its a shame its all in french.

Typical routes on the agenda are Morocco and pyrenees obviously France and Spain along the way

so over to you Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #825457 15th Apr 2020 9:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I use an Android tablet in a RAM mount works very well. Pretty much any tablet is fine, just make sure it has GPS and it is the size you want. I tether it to my phone for data so I can use it for internet and email and enable traffic updates in the sat nav app. You could get a tablet that takes its own sim if you don’t want to faff about tethering,

For on road navigation I use the TomTom app which is excellent. You have to pay a cheap annual subscription, but I think it is well worth it. The subscription gives you access to world wide maps, live traffic etc.

For off road navigation I use Locus Maps Pro. It has a built in map store for pretty much all the maps you might ever want, or you can import your own. Off road routes can be got from Wikiloc and uploaded into locus maps.

Google Maps is great for finding campsites, supermarkets and fuel stations as long as you have an internet connection.

I also have an old school trip meter app on there, like what they used to have in rally cars, that way I can navigate purely using the tulip diagrams in the Vibraction road book which is really good fun. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #825466 15th Apr 2020 9:34am
Bluest

I should add, with the Vibraction books, it is mainly the tourist info that is in French. The routes are described by tulip diagrams, which are easy to understand after a bit of practise. I think they provide a .gpx route file anyway, so you only really need to use the diagrams if it is not clear from the gps which leg to take at a junction. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #825473 15th Apr 2020 9:45am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We have been using an android tablet too with co-pilot as our main sat nav and maps me, guru maps and view ranger (for uk)

The tablet we had for many years sadly got boiled sitting on the dash in Slovenia last summer, so have updated it to a telecast P80x which has been great value for money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TECLAST-Processor...88Y926J4M5

If you are buying a tablet just make sure that is has a sim card capability as this is likey to have a built in GPS

Copilot has great maps for just about everywhere for on road driving for a one off subscription,
Guru maps have a one off subscription for off line maps and maps me is free with off line maps too..
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #825503 15th Apr 2020 10:58am
bear100

Hi Bluest Thumbs Up its your posts I've been reading through!

The problem i have is all my iPads are wifi versions except the pro but its way to big for the 110, so i will end up buying a new one at a cost of around £300 which is half way to the Garmin.

I didn't realise you could get a TomTom app, i find that Maps on the iPhone works great with all the features for road use.

todays aim is to look into Locus maps, Wikloc, maps me, guru maps and view ranger

Ive not used tulip diagrams before so not familiar with them, the site looks great except in French, I've been looking for this type of site with tried and tested routes, its brilliant!

Wyvern, that's cheap for a tablet, I've only ever had Apple stuff and most of my accessories fit with Apple but at that price you can't go wrong! 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #825718 16th Apr 2020 8:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I use a Garmin Montana for off road ( we use them mainly for the dirt bikes) works really well & has been around the world ( Karta bg maps were excellent in Bulgaria for the logging routes) biggest draw back is its small.
Google it, I’m guessing the new Garmin your talking about is an updated larger version of this.
Post #825930 17th Apr 2020 7:00am
bear100

It looks really nice except price,

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)

Last edited by bear100 on 4th Jul 2020 7:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #825935 17th Apr 2020 8:06am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
bear100 wrote:

The problem i have is all my iPads are wifi versions except the pro but its way to big for the 110, so i will end up buying a new one at a cost of around £300 which is half way to the Garmin.

Wyvern, that's cheap for a tablet, I've only ever had Apple stuff and most of my accessories fit with Apple but at that price you can't go wrong!

Hi Bear
I have only every paid for the world wide Co-Pilot app with off line maps, so the running cost is very low in that area - I may go to the Guru pro for offline world wide maps before any long trips in the future.

I am an apple fan and use apple for my laptop, iPhone and my partner has just about every other apple device, but went this route as I found that the apple devices we have were hampered in remote areas with no built in GPS and had less of a selection of apps for navigation and engine management, I have collected several apps on the new tablet with blue tooth links to the OB2 device for reading codes etc.. again I may upgrade to a pro app for our longer trips.

Price was not the main reason for buying the tablet as I read a few overland blogs and one of the travellers used this tablet and recommended it for its speed of picking up locations and memory size, and was looking to replace the previous Samsung tab that was boiled.

As you say, for the price, it's a good buy and worth the risk.
The mini-Ipad with sim was the next choice to keep us in the apple fold, but at the cost I could get 4 of these tablets, and even looked at the Garmin, but the loaded apps may not all work on an apple or on another device either so went the independent way.

(.... What ever you buy, remember to mount it out of the direct sun ! )
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #825938 17th Apr 2020 8:14am
Bluest

bear100 wrote:

I didn't realise you could get a TomTom app, i find that Maps on the iPhone works great with all the features for road use.

todays aim is to look into Locus maps, Wikloc, maps me, guru maps and view ranger

Ive not used tulip diagrams before so not familiar with them, the site looks great except in French, I've been looking for this type of site with tried and tested routes, its brilliant!

Wyvern, that's cheap for a tablet, I've only ever had Apple stuff and most of my accessories fit with Apple but at that price you can't go wrong!

Google Maps is excellent, but it relies on having an internet connection to work fully, so not that useful in remote areas.

The tulip diagrams are just a bit of fun and help out at tricky junctions most of the times. It gives your passenger a good way to get involved in the trip. It’s a bit of an antiquated way to do a whole trip these days and you really don’t need to look at them most of the time. They are very easy to understand. When we did the Pyrenees traverse, the gpx file had one or two small mistakes or missing waypoints (out of about a thousand) and the tulips immediately clear up any confusion. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #825946 17th Apr 2020 8:51am
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I had the same dilemma, I now use a Samsung galaxy tablet (android) running Locus Maps Pro App. Cheap tablet but works well. I found Locus Maps Pro to be really easy to use, reliable and flexible as you can download lots of different Maps either FOC or very cheaply. Offline maps worked really well and the ability to extend storage via an SD card was really useful. I've used it in Europe and Morocco and been 100% reliable.

The built in GPS is ok but for piece of mind and accurate positioning I pair it with an external GPS too:

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-suppli...iver-p3967

Having the external GPS means in the future I can use it with loads of different devices, all you need is bluetooth. I was also able to position the Tablet out of the sun and just have the GPS receiver on the Dash.
Post #826219 18th Apr 2020 3:27pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Re: Sat navs, best and most reliable for overland
bear100 wrote:
Hey all

i'm looking for advice on a sat nav for overland trips, the Garmin Overlander caught my eye but at £599 it also made my eye water! it does look good though and if its the best and a must have then a Garmin it is.

What do you use and why and how much has it costed?

Typical routes on the agenda are Morocco and pyrenees obviously France and Spain along the way

so over to you Thumbs Up

I used the Garmin GPSMAP in Morocco - current model is the 66 I think. I got this because its something you can put in your pocket or man bag when parked up in Morocco, easily demountable, has good signal and vibration properties etc and doesn't cost a fortune (£290 I think). I found that key to Saharan navigation is not following a trail religiously (how dull) but knowing where you are (N&E) and navigating to waypoints using the tracks around you. I think it makes you more observant as a driver/navigator looking looking out of the windscreen to find the correct routes. It's also fun!

You can download sections of google maps for remote tarmac areas. Phone signal is pretty good in Maroc until you get south of the Atlas.

I used TomTom on an iPhone for road sections, however with Google maps/nav being so good now and downloadable I'd use that instead.

Now you got me looking at photos - I recommend travelling with just 2 or 3 cars as well - a proper adventure!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #826360 19th Apr 2020 12:21pm
bear100

Wow those photos!! I'm so looking forward to going away now Very Happy
It will be me and my sons (12) first time overland an have decided to go with Neil and the gang from Impala, lovely people, and they run the trips unlike anyone else. After your initial meet and the first day or 2 together you have a road book with all the info in and make your own way to the next camp site when ever you want no convoy no dust clouds from the cars in-front no rush etc and a support car will keep in touch and sweep anyone left behind at the end of the day, so its like a solo trip but with the backing and support plus the banter with the group.

The more i read everyone's post (thanks) the more I'm inclined to go android for all the reasons mentioned, i wanted to go the Garmin overland route but looking at the reviews and when you weigh up the cost against the android and free maps etc it really isn't worth it.

GPS device to pair to that's new to me i didn't know that was a thing, Simon the link didn't work for me is there a particular model you have used and can recommend?

Bluest when you done your trip on the RB5 did you go from West to east or the other way? im looking at going from Bilbao to L'escala. 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #827125 23rd Apr 2020 8:26am
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Oops sorry. The one I have is a “Dual XGPS150 Bluetooth GPS Receiver“

Costs about £120 and is easy to set up and has worked really well for me, very accurate. I have used it in Europe across the Pyrenees and in Morocco all the way down into Western Sahara.

A quick google will bring up a few places to buy.
Post #827132 23rd Apr 2020 9:02am
bear100

Cheers Simon, the reviews look awesome on that one!

Thanks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #827902 27th Apr 2020 7:28am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
On foreign trips I've used Guru pro for tracks and co-pilot for the roads on my phone for several years with complete satisfaction.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #828173 28th Apr 2020 10:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>