Home > Td5 > Defender 90 2004 TD5 Fuel Tank Cradle / Protector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tank

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 2004 TD5 Fuel Tank Cradle / Protector
Hi

I am trying to take all the tow bar bits off the Defender, oh what a joy. Thank goodness for an impact gun!

Anyway I am trying to get to to the nuts at the end of the tie bars that are on the chassis next to the fuel tank. It looks like it would be easier if I took the fuel tank cradle / protector off. Or is it! Does the cradle support the fuel tank and is it easy to get off? I can see to find much on line or any videos of how its done. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tank
Post #826382 19th Apr 2020 2:52pm
sgreenham

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I managed to take mine off by wedging a spanner on the side nearest the fuel tank which, once i started turning the outer bolt, would stop against the chassis and therefore undo. Agreed though, it's not easy and thankfully it didn't shear.
Post #826383 19th Apr 2020 3:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
On a 110 (not sure about a 90 but I imagine that it is the same) the tank is supported by the undershield and pressed down onto it by a retaining strap over the top.

The hassle of removing the shield whilst supporting the tank means that it is best avoided.
Post #826402 19th Apr 2020 4:45pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Are they not captive? They're captive on mine - nuts welded to inside face of the vertical plate of the chassis that come down behind the fuel tank. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #826403 19th Apr 2020 4:46pm
blackwolf

I think the OP is asking about the bolts that originally fixed the tie-down rings but which also secure the back-stays for most towing attachment systems (often also used for JATE rings). If so, these are not captive, the bolt passes through the chassis from the outside with a nut on the inside (unless you're really unlucky and a moron has fitted them the other way round when the tank's been out).

The bolts that attach the tank undershield to the rear cross member (accessible through the holes in the rear face) do have captive nuts. They generally remain captive up to the moment you need to undo them! I think these may be the ones you're thinking of.
Post #826408 19th Apr 2020 5:08pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Glad l read this. I was going to replace the fuel tank protector (on my TD5 110) with a better aftermarket one, but having read the above l don’t think l will bother!
Post #826610 20th Apr 2020 7:01pm
blackwolf

It's worth doing for a better one, the standard one is a major rust trap. I fitted a YRM aluminium one which is much nicer, but I fitted it when I had to drop the tank anyway.

The main problem replacing just the undershield is that the only place you can support the tank with a jack is under the undershield, which makes it a major hassle to get the shield out without the tank.
Post #826640 20th Apr 2020 8:33pm
Tank

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver
sgreenham wrote:
I managed to take mine off by wedging a spanner on the side nearest the fuel tank which, once i started turning the outer bolt, would stop against the chassis and therefore undo. Agreed though, it's not easy and thankfully it didn't shear.

Worked, thanks. Got the Censored off! Now to powder coat when we get out of lock down!

Cheers

Tank
Post #826651 20th Apr 2020 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1