↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > What Car? Magazine first drive says....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

What Car? Magazine first drive says....
Only 4* - it’s a brilliant vehicle on and off the road, It’s in a class of one, it’s well made , it’s very desirable even in low spec S model BUT....... the 8 speed gear box is crap and is way too willing to drop down gears unnecessarily not making full use of the torque available and their biggest criticism is the price - too much for what you get............ they were testing a pre-production vehicle that suffered wind noise from the B pillar area too. I’m sure that the gearbox can be sorted with a different mapping before deliveries start.
A personal point here.....if it is so desirable then it will be a huge target for thieves so the security system had better be up to the job which recently hasn’t been the case with the latest JLR upgraded extra cost security system in RRS and FFRR - I don’t know about D5’s, maybe nobody wants to steal one - no market for passing them on............ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #824435 10th Apr 2020 6:07pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
D5 got upgraded security too i think they deployed it across JLR to stop the codes being copied i seem to recall reading somewhere JLR are now considered one of the most secure in the industry now. The key fobs are noticeably bigger than the previous generation too :-/

If the 2.0L is like the D5 then i can believe the view i don't like the 2.0l on the d5 the gearbox seemed to work way to hard especially when i tried towing with it. I'm sticking with 3.0l for the defender hoping it performs like my D5 which is brill in that respect. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #824469 10th Apr 2020 8:28pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
RDR...I would expect it to be exactly the same.... It's a D5 with changed plastics....and some revised software... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #824477 10th Apr 2020 8:58pm
J77

Scotland 
Let’s hope so, the Discovery has always been the better car. Excellent on road and excellent off it a great all rounder. Even the 5, though it lost some of the practicalities of its predecessor.
Post #824504 10th Apr 2020 11:31pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Agree if it’s a d5 but stronger and with better styling they will be onto a winner. The new infotainment looks a definite improvement too. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #824573 11th Apr 2020 12:20pm
J77

Scotland 
The infotainment system has been a constant problem on my velar, I much preferred the simpler system on my D5, it had the old Incontrol touch system, simple but it worked.

Having played around with the new Defenders system it seemed quicker and a lot less fussy but all I ever really use is the nav or Apple CarPlay in fact my 2 year data plan has run out and I’ve not bothered about getting another, suppose I should just for the over the air updates.
Post #824584 11th Apr 2020 1:51pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
So what your both saying is you want a Discovery that's not a D5.... But's called a Defender for what reason??? It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #824725 12th Apr 2020 9:01am
RDR

United Kingdom 
I want a car I like, I don’t mind what it’s called I’m not loyal to either if it suits me I’ll buy it. I’ve owned many cars of many brands over the years the best one was my original D3 S the defender looks like a good modern equivalent. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #824741 12th Apr 2020 10:24am
J77

Scotland 
Morepower wrote:
So what your both saying is you want a Discovery that's not a D5.... But's called a Defender for what reason???

I would assume most buyers are buying it because it’s more of a Discovery, we can’t help what LR called it. The bonus for me is I can get a 2 door which will suit my lifestyle better. I’m not buying it because it’s called a Defender. I’d much rather LR ditch the D5, I had one nice vehicle in its own right but it was no Disco.

As with RDR, my best LR was my base D3 7 seater, in the days when a new Disco cost less than £30k, and as he says it’s the best we’re going to get. I like the original Defender and I’d like to have one someday but not as a daily driver.
Post #824748 12th Apr 2020 10:56am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
The D3 gets my vote too for the best all round vehicle of any type I have owned.
Post #824754 12th Apr 2020 11:11am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
The feedback about the gearbox must be down the fact that these are still pre-production vehicles which are being tested.

The ZF 8-speed is a dream in all other LRs, so probably just needs a software update. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #824802 12th Apr 2020 2:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1