Home > Td5 > Seat Belt Replacement Disaster - A Cry for Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rustyredwreck

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Baltic Blue
Seat Belt Replacement Disaster - A Cry for Help
Dear all,

I was replacing the 2 front seat belts in my 2003 Td5 SW - and the following happened:

1 - Fitting the new driver's seat belt onto the Reel Mounting (what is described as the Bracket to Bulkhead, part nr MRC8524) - I gave the nut one more turn and sheered one of the bolts on MRC8524 - disaster! I should know better. Looking at the parts manual, it looks like I have to remove MRC8524 - which involves removing 2 rivets (which looks impossible given the location, and removing 2 screws - which in turn hold on a hold load of heavy looking stuff).

Has anyone been unlucky enough to be in the same situation - what did you do? At the moment, I think this has to be trip to the local independent LR garage....when they re-open.

2 - I also tried replacing the seat belt buckle (strangely called the seat belt assembly short end - part number BTR4372 for the RH side) and what is already installed is completely different to what is in the parts manual. My current buckle is attached with a rigid plate and not a bendy stalk (a bendy stalk is shown in the parts manual). My TD5 used to be police vehicle and has some interesting mods - but I can see why they would change this part. Here's a photo:

Click image to enlarge

Does anyone have something similar or can anyone tell me the part number for the plate that attaches the seat belt buckle/ stalk to the seat box?

I made the mistake of saying aloud "working on a TD5 is so much easier than working on previous land rover - a series 3" - and then Mr Murphy decided to remind me of his law.....

It should be so simple!

Any help, comments or general sympathy much appreciated.
Kind Regards

Neil[/img]
Post #824392 10th Apr 2020 12:42pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Can you unbolt and remove the seat, only 4 bolts, dead easy, it might give you more access. Your photo doesn’t really reveal anything tbh
Post #824415 10th Apr 2020 3:55pm
rustyredwreck

The photo is just intended to show the metal bracket to which the seat belt "clip" is attached - the parts manual shows a stalk - I have a rectangular rigid bracket instead. I'll see if I can get a better photo.
Post #824425 10th Apr 2020 4:34pm
donmacn

Not sure about your first question - I've tried googling the part number, but all the searches tell me it's been superseded, and won't show me the original!

I 'think' I know what it is, and wonder if you could just take it out of the car; grind/drill out the remains of the broken bolt, and use a nut and bolt as an temporary alternative?

On the stalk vs. rigid thing, the stalk is an older fitment. My '94 era Tdi comes with them, the rigid bracket, which has a swivel thing bullt in is newer.

Have you tried looking up 'new LR cat' for your era of car - maybe show what you need? (Edit - just had a look - are you after EVL104360?) Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...

Last edited by donmacn on 10th Apr 2020 7:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #824452 10th Apr 2020 7:07pm
rustyredwreck

More photos

Having just spoken to a random Puma owner in the street my seat belt clip is mounted on something similar to a Puma's.

Click image to enlarge
Post #824453 10th Apr 2020 7:08pm
donmacn

Yep - see my post above - try the 'new lr cat' site, a great resource for part numbers, or even for the exploded diagrams showing how things are supposed to come together.

Are you after one of those seatbelt catches/plates? I might have a couple kicking about if I can find them. I bought a whole seatbox once upon a time, which came with them attached. No use to me, on a Tdi.

(edit - just found MRC8524 - if your car is a 90, then my advice might not apply but: on a 110 you can get access to the back of this by removing the centre seatbox cover. This makes it a one person job to loosen/tighten the nut and bolt. The rivet - maybe a dremel or a file??

If you can get it out, then as I said above, I'd be tempted, even temporarily, to bolt your seat belt catch onto this bracket, and then bolt/rivet the bracket back into the car. Hope that makes sense.) Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #824455 10th Apr 2020 7:14pm
rustyredwreck

Thanks for the suggested temporary repair Donald - I'll be giving it a go.

I've managed to locate the seat bracket short end (buckle) part number - EVL104360 for the RH side - you were right Donald - thank you.. This part doesn't appear in mu hard copy of the TD5 parts manual - but I've found it under a Puma part.

So, next time more looking for the part before I cry out for help!

Thanks for the comments - very grateful,
Kind Regards

Neil
Post #824589 11th Apr 2020 2:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1