↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Twisted Switch Panel Installed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Quote:
Also, I found out that if you ground the hand brake lead of the JVC unit, you can use the keyboard in Android auto instead of voice commands.

Thumbs Up That's so annoying if you have a head unit connected to CAN in cars where the handbrake signal is sent over CAN...

The white plug is for the headlamp levelling switch.
Post #819211 11th Mar 2020 11:12pm
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thanks macfrank,

I suspected that the connector was for the head light leveling switch but wanted to make sure.

There's probably a way to do the same on a CAN bus car but you'd need to be more of a hacker than electrician. I've tested the JVC unit and you can now do most of the stuff that required the hand brake to be engaged. However, if you try to scroll (call history, play list, contacts, etc.), you'll get a warning to keep your attention on the road after 3 swipes of the screen. So even the passenger cannot use the screen without some restrictions.
Post #819348 12th Mar 2020 9:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If grounding the handbrake wire doesn’t work you need a micro pulse bypass.
(Only for use when parked up for safety.)
It uses a dual live pulse modulation which will correct any issues with features being locked on the HU.
However, it may not work with head units with in built Sat Nav.

Kenwood used to just need grounding, JVC is in the Kenwood group.
Pioneer and others need a bypass or connecting as per manual details.

It is designed to be like this for safety but in real world situations it can actually prevent you from using features that are actually required with aftermarket fitted items.

A bypass then means you do not need to cut into wiring either which not many want to have to do that either. Obviously you heed safety and only use these features when parked but prevents having to mess around with the hand brake wiring. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #819351 12th Mar 2020 10:04pm
Nadine90

Wales 1986 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Fuji White
Defender upgrades have the panels without the hole
Post #819355 12th Mar 2020 10:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^^^ So they do, many thanks for pointing this out.

Quite a bit less expensive than Twisted too.
Post #819401 13th Mar 2020 10:41am
siglo

I've noticed another issue now and searched the forum to see if anyone faced it before without success. When using the mic for hands-free calls, people are complaining from clicking noise. I've figured out that it is related to the vibrations from the engine and gear box and if I remove the LR mic from the stock location the noise stops. I also tried the mic that came with the JVC unit and the noise is there. So I opened up the steering surround and used some cloth harness tape to try to reduce the clicking noise but it did not help.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've tried to tidy the wiring inside but people are still complaining from the clicking noise.

Click image to enlarge

I also noticed that the steering is rubbing against the plastic trim. I think it is not affecting calls but I am having second thoughts now. The same steering wheel was installed with the original alpine unit and no one complained about the noise during calls.

Click image to enlarge

Do you think I am chasing the wrong end? I doubt it is related to the head unit since when I remove the mic from the steering surround the noise stops. Any thoughts?

Nadine90 wrote:
Defender upgrades have the panels without the hole

It's good we have more choices now. I've ordered from them before and looked on their web site before I got the twisted panel. They did not have it at that time. It also can take 8 switches compared to the 6 switches of the twisted panel.
Post #819412 13th Mar 2020 12:08pm
blackwolf

I've ordered a DU panel and will report back to the forum when it arrives.
Post #819423 13th Mar 2020 2:55pm
dgardel

Italy 
siglo wrote:

I found a plug behind the dash that I am not sure what it is for. I suspect it might be for an option that I don't have (traction control, head light level, or rear wiper). If anyone knows what it is for I'd appreciate it.

Click image to enlarge

Headlamps leveling! Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #819684 14th Mar 2020 11:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
Can @Siglo or anyone confirm if the Twisted panel requires the same size hole in the dashboard as the ebay/Mud style??

I have the panel with the round hole in but would love to change to the Twisted panel if it is going to fit in my existing dashboard hole. 1989 90 4.3 V8
2012 L405 OF
2014 D4 HSE Lux (SOLD)
2015 90 HT (SOLD)
@d9o.mf
Post #821765 28th Mar 2020 11:18am
siglo

The twisted panel is smaller. You can see in the below photo that I am using the metal template that came with the mud unit as a guide for my dremel. It made it easier to cut straight lines. The metal template for the mud panel is considerably bigger than the opening required for the twisted panel.

Click image to enlarge
Post #821769 28th Mar 2020 11:58am
blackwolf

I don't know about the Twisted panel, but the Defender Upgrades panel (the one for 8 switches plus Hazard) requires a hole 78 mm wide and 180 mm top to bottom, +/- a couple of mm.

I'm quite impressed with the DU panel, it's not bad at all.
Post #821770 28th Mar 2020 12:04pm
siglo

In case anyone is interested, I found a screen protector for the JVC unit on Amazon UK.

It might not be useful to everyone, but with the amount of dust we get here it is good protection for the screen. I should have fit it more centered, I started on the silver edge of the right side and ended with a small gap on the left.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #823932 7th Apr 2020 7:15pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
siglo wrote:
I've noticed another issue now and searched the forum to see if anyone faced it before without success. When using the mic for hands-free calls, people are complaining from clicking noise. I've figured out that it is related to the vibrations from the engine and gear box and if I remove the LR mic from the stock location the noise stops. I also tried the mic that came with the JVC unit and the noise is there. So I opened up the steering surround and used some cloth harness tape to try to reduce the clicking noise but it did not help.

I've tried to tidy the wiring inside but people are still complaining from the clicking noise.

I also noticed that the steering is rubbing against the plastic trim. I think it is not affecting calls but I am having second thoughts now. The same steering wheel was installed with the original alpine unit and no one complained about the noise during calls.

Click image to enlarge

Do you think I am chasing the wrong end? I doubt it is related to the head unit since when I remove the mic from the steering surround the noise stopsl.

Mine had similar interference when mounted there. It was recommended I moved the mic up to interior light and it's now perfect. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #823934 7th Apr 2020 7:34pm
silvermilnec

England 
Sorry to bring up an old thread but can I ask how people secured the side panel?
I’m doing the job tomorrow and read lots of problems getting them to fit.

I’ve gone for the du 8 switch plus hazard, I thought the tabs on the side would be deeper to grab the back of the dash.

Cheers
Post #963833 2nd Sep 2022 11:14pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Are you using a twisted side panel or something else? If twisted, it has a rebate right along the top and two spring clips on the bottom. You don’t need to do anything other than cut the hole to the right size, slide the top section in and then push the bottom section until the spring clips click.

You will need to cut away the supportive webbing on the plastic on the reverse side of the dash to make room for the rebate and clips, but this can be done very easily with a sharp Stanley knife.
Post #963843 3rd Sep 2022 8:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>