↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Electric cars - learning to drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Electric cars - learning to drive
The other day I spotted an electric car used by a driving school..
Got me thinking....Would learning to drive an electric car be the same as driving an auto with regards to the license you hold?
i.e manual licence you can drive a manual or auto. But an auto licence you can only drive an auto (or electric car in this case?)
I assume you couldn't learn in an electric and go to drive manual? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #823082 3rd Apr 2020 9:39am
Tim in Scotland

Pure electrics don’t have a gear box in the conventional sense - just fowards, neutral/park and backwards - my Countryman PHEV has a 6 speed auto for the petrol engine at the front and the electric motor is reversible and drives the rear wheels only, I have only the one auto selector for the two engines....... and it will operate the reverse in purely electric mode so no need to get out and push it backwards Laughing So in theory an EV is even easier to drive than an auto. Also in the few EVs with what look like “paddle shifters” behind the steering wheel those levers are usually for adjusting the amount of regeneration you want to have.
Regarding licences I would imagine that if you learn to drive in an EV then you get an auto only licence as the technique is similar - do we have any driving instructors on the forum who could answer this? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #823097 3rd Apr 2020 10:42am
excossack

I have only driven one electric vehicle - a Berlingo van. P/N/D/R options - so an auto.

Be interested to hear views from any DI's on the forum 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #823101 3rd Apr 2020 10:50am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
According to Paul Tomlin of Green Driving School in Stoke on Trent he has been using EV's since 2011. All of his students take the Automatic Test. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #823114 3rd Apr 2020 11:47am
excossack

Is that due to only having an automatic licence? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #823116 3rd Apr 2020 11:54am
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
What happens to driving tests, if / when these fully autominous ( spelt like it sounds ) vehicles are the norm ?

Will the test compromise, of programming the vehicle on where to go, and what to do if it all goes wrong ?

Or could you just send the car along on it’s own to pick up the examiner for a drive Rolling with laughter
Post #823154 3rd Apr 2020 4:49pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
This is going more than a little OT but its an interesting subject to me... I think there are some real legal conundrums to overcome with fully autonomous vehicles. Possibly as hard as the technical challenge of making them work in the first place. As mentioned, will you need a license? Who is liable if it crashes and how should the machines be programmed to handle moral dilemmas?

Take this example: It's 2040. You are being transported down the local high street by your brand new fully autonomous mobility pod. In an instant a small child leaps in front of the vehicle. Your pod detects what's happening and computes that the child can be saved by a sharp swerve to the left or right. Going left would strike a young married couple, going right would strike 5 pensioners leaving the bingo. Also the pod could activate instant self destruct, killing you but saving all the pedestrians. What should it do?

At some point during the design of autonomous vehicles the makers will have to decide how the machine handles very serious situations like this. Fortunately, I think we are 20 to 30 years from autonomy being at the point where driver relinquishes all control to the machines. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #823157 3rd Apr 2020 5:10pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
From the DVLA website:

Manual and automatic cars

You can take the test in a:

•manual car - these have 3 pedals
•automatic or semi-automatic car - these have 2 pedals

If you take your test in a semi-automatic car you’ll only be able to drive automatic and semi-automatic cars once you’ve passed your test.

It seems that the key is whether the car you take the test in has 2 or 3 pedals rather than whether it is electric/hybrid/internal combustion engine.
Post #823161 3rd Apr 2020 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1