↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > O2 scam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

O2 scam
10 days ago I changed my O2 contract from a small business account to a much cheaper tariff. A couple of days after I had a text message purporting to be from O2 requesting me to update my banking details by following a link. Before doing anything I went into the local O2 store and showed them - result “Sir if you look at your old messages from O2 they all have the from address O2 Services or just O2, no phone number shows, that one is just a phone number,” they changed my password from the store and to,d me to contact their help service to do a password reset. What made me suspicious was that the link in the text message took me to a fake O2 website where my every single bit of personal data including bank details and Passwords were requested.
So if you get an SMS message from a phone number with a long message about banking details DO NOT do anything especially do not click on the link. Go to an O2 store and get them involved.

Another thing I have been encountering a lot recently has been spam emails offering all sorts of too good to be true returns for investing my forthcoming pension tax free sum As I retire at the end of March. How do these people know I’m retiring early, I gave an industrial pension that allows retirement at 61 so has there been a data security breach at the pension fund managers office or are these scammers just just chancing it that I might be looking to invest a big sum of money? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 17th Mar 2020 9:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #819972 17th Mar 2020 1:11pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I have had these phishing text messages purporting to be from EE & O2, saying problem with last bill & to follow link to update details - er, nope!
So they probably exist with other network names too.
Post #819977 17th Mar 2020 2:00pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
The golden rule is never ever click on a link in an email to a website. Always use a known secure link or goggle it. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #819978 17th Mar 2020 2:18pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The wife for the last three days has been getting the DVLA 'we have a refund for you' text messages.

I seem to spend x amount of time just deleting emails and blocking unwanted calls on the mobile every day.

In fact I don't even bother these days to have the ring volume on. …..
Post #820027 17th Mar 2020 8:58pm
Projectblue

England 
Tim,
It's to do with the cookies and one site knows your age. That one is just targeted advertising. I get them for 'over 50's' and 'people who are 54.... [insert activity of choice]' New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #820279 19th Mar 2020 10:17pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
It's also down to data breaches - Talk Talk and Experian have both 'shared' lots of data with the whole world due to being hacked or careless.
To see the effect of targeting, change your date of birth in Facebook (they think I'm 110). All the adverts will change as will a lot on other sites you visit.
Then get yourself some proper privacy protection for you web browser and use the DuckDuckGo browser on your phone.
PS if you get the right combination of blockers you'll find you can read the Telegraph website without a subscription Evil or Very Mad
Post #820332 20th Mar 2020 10:29am
Tim in Scotland

I use the Block Bear app on both my iPads and iPhone and it also works well but as you point out some online newspapers get a bit uptight that you are blocking a source of their revenue.......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #820336 20th Mar 2020 10:44am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've found that the latest version of Adguard seems to be blocking the blocker detection. I suppose it's only a matter of time until they block the blocker blocking the blocker protection though. Laughing
Post #820337 20th Mar 2020 10:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1