Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma LT230
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Puma LT230
Hello guys,

If some of you are familiar with my You Tube channel, "Nigels Land Rover Channel", you'll know I have completely stripped my 2011 2.4 Puma 90 to give her a refresh.
Part of this refresh will include the fitting of the Ashcroft ATB centre diff in the transfer box. Boy oh boy, did I get a Friday afternoon truck or what?? I've stripped the TC to fit said ATB diff and have discovered at least two nightmares.. all covered on video. The Input shaft had 0.013" of preload on the bearings, only just over six times what it should be.. then I discover the bearings on the intermediate shaft have spun, and soon discovered that whoever built this box in the factory managed to pull the shaft up against the locking plate, rather than through it, so the bearings have run with no preload, also covered in part 3 of my rebuild video.

Now to my question.. I notice the Puma doesnt have a collapsible spacer between the int shaft bearings, it has a selectable sized spacer instead, which i am glad about because I was going to turn up a solid spacer anyway. So.. can someone please tell me what the torque should be on the shaft nut? The manual on the Ashcroft site doesnt cover this later design. I have emailed Dave at Ashcroft but got no reply?? Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #818407 5th Mar 2020 11:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
88Nm (65lbft) for the intermediate shaft stake nut.

Selective (not collapsible) spacers have been used on TD5 and Puma LT230 boxes (Def and Disco2).
Post #818410 5th Mar 2020 11:29pm
Gloucesternige

Thanks @blackwolf.

That's great news on the spacers, I just wonder why Ashcroft supply crush spacers with the ATB fitting kit?? I guess they can be fitted as an alternative? Personally, I dont like em.. I never saw preloaded bearing sets for machine tools supplied with crushable spacers!! Nige

Post #818418 5th Mar 2020 11:54pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I reckon it's much easier and faster to use a collapsible spacer when redoing a transfer box.

If you need to replace the bearings, with a fixed length spacer, you have to recalculate the length of the spacer to get the correct preload on the bearings (as per the overhauling manual), and that requires some additional (precise) tools, knowledge and it takes a lot more time. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #818458 6th Mar 2020 10:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that Ashcroft supplies crush tubes because an identical tube can be used every time, whereas potentially every box might need a different precision ground spacer (and most people won't have the facilities to adjust or grind a spacer).

As far as the setup is concerned, I have to say that I find the fixed spacer system both quicker and much more reliable than the crush tube, but I have the necessary equipment to measure the dimensions as required (surface plate, micrometer depth gauges, micrometers, etc). There is undoubtedly a bigger investment needed for this method than the simple torque meter and drive adaptor needed for the crush tube.

I've used both methods, and subject to the availability of spacers would now always opt for the fixed length selective spacer over the crush tube.
Post #818464 6th Mar 2020 11:22am
Gloucesternige

I agree 100% with every word of your reply @blackwolf.

You will see in my videos I also have the equipment you mention, other than a surface plate.. If I find the old sleeve is too long, I'll face it on the lathe, if it's too short I'll make a new one. Nige

Post #818471 6th Mar 2020 12:02pm
GNARBA

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
This is a very interesting subject Nigel and thankyou Blackwolf for your input.
I am also currently rebuilding my TransBox complete with Ashcrofts ATB . The intermediate bearings had far too much preload due to solid spacer being too short. Due to a lack of availability here in Western Australia, I had to innovate a bit and so I added a 0.014 thou shim washer then measured the ENDFLOAT so that I could calculate the size of spacer required. Sadly, I don’t own a lathe just yet , so I carefully honed the solid spacer on a very flat porcelain tile ( rotating a quarter turn at regular intervals) until I achieved the correct size combined with the shim using a depth micrometer . As you have demonstrated Nigel in your fantastic videos, it is now possible to check the preload outside the box .
This all worked an absolute treat and I now have correct preload . My only concern is the fact that it is installed with this very thin shim washer . ‘ Can’t see why it would be a problem but would appreciate your thoughts ( and anyone else’s ) on this setup .
Keep up the great work Nigel .
Post #820307 20th Mar 2020 1:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1