↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Recommendation for Fuel Injector Pump Reconditioning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Recommendation for Fuel Injector Pump Reconditioning
I've just had a 300tdi fuel injector pump reconditioned, but having spoken with others, I am not confident that it has been done well - others have had a noticeable increase in fuel consumption (or mpg dropping from high to low 20s) with pumps reconditioned by the same source. I want to get it checked before going to the effort of putting it in. I'd appreciate recommendations for who i might send it to. thanks in advance. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #816838 25th Feb 2020 8:21am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Who did it? It's a Bosch VE pump, been around for decades and common as muck, not a difficult pump to rework or set up. If they can't do one of those they should really be touching pumps. Couple of recommendations- Shorts auto electrical in Swansea, City diesel in Swansea and Kent diesel services in Kent somewhere.....
Post #816842 25th Feb 2020 8:35am
foxhound

thanks for this; i'll call. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #816887 25th Feb 2020 2:40pm
donmacn

I've had mine redone recently. Unfortunately I haven't had it in long enough to give any opinion on fuel economy - though I can already say that 'performance' is greatly improved.

It was done by Electro-Diesel in Exeter, so I had to send it away for 10 days or so.

I was pleased with the service, and they talked me through their process - an initial 'baseline' assessment of the pump as they receive it (mine was 15% 'down' from where it should be); then they bring it up to the 'standard' spec and pressure check to see if the components will handle any increase; then they called me to confirm this position, and gave me a final quote for the rebuild and tweaking.

No doubt mine has made a significant difference to the car's 'oomph' - whether it's affected the 'mpg' I'll need to wait and see - but this was part of a bigger job, so I'd expect to see some difference. Ultimately I think it will depend on how I decide to drive it. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #816888 25th Feb 2020 3:14pm
foxhound

thanks Donald
i'll be going home to Devon soon so I might stop off in Exeter. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #816893 25th Feb 2020 4:20pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Donmacn, would you mind letting us know how much that cost?
Post #816905 25th Feb 2020 5:53pm
donmacn

oh dear..... Confused

The grand total was £590 - parts, labour and shipping. This was in the context of fitting it back onto my original engine, rebuilt by Turners with the addition of the gas-flowed AMC head. Once it's run in, I'll be fitting a VNT turbo and a bigger intercooler. No sense in doing all that and bolting on the old fuel pump.

I discussed all this with Electro-Diesel and they've put a 'mild tune' onto the pump accordingly. I'm not at all familiar with the internal workings of the pump, but I see from the bag of original parts that came back with the pump that the boost spring and pin have been replaced, along with a few other seals and bits and pieces.

The pump had done 230k miles and as I said was tired - 15% down on original spec.

TBH I don't know if this is a competitive price or not - not something I've ever had done before. But I am happy that it's the original pump going back on, and first impressions are that the whole combination is going to be every bit as good as I'd hoped. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #816975 25th Feb 2020 10:11pm
foxhound

thanks for posting this Donald. that cost is very competitive compared to places around Berkshire and oxfordshire. What sort of MPG did you get before and after the Exeter re-con job?

what difference did the turner rebuild and AMC head make to MPG and power?

I put an allisport full width intercooler on my 300tdi which increased power about 15% and mpg by 10% 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #817041 26th Feb 2020 11:53am
donmacn

Hi Foxhound,

I didn't think the ED price was outrageous, but it's good to get another perspective.

(I think I took some pointers from some of your earlier threads on 300Tdi tweaking.)

Like I say, I'm afraid it's just too soon to say what the impact on performance and economy will be.

I haven't even managed to run-in the rebuilt engine yet. It's in, and in between trips away, I've been working on little snagging issues like getting the Donaldson/Wolf air filter to fit right without clattering the underside of the bonnet; or having to replace the clutch pipework which managed to develop a leak as part of the job. I went for an Allard rather than allisport intercooler, but to all intents and purposes I'm sure it's much the same.

I can say that the car has been transformed - it pulls really well, with a lot more acceleration across the range. To give just one example, when it first rolled off the ramp for a test drive, I was looking at an uphill, tight gravel hairpin onto the road. With the "old" engine, when it was cold, I might even have considered using low range for such a manoeuvre. I found myself up on the road, and having to check that I hadn't actually put the car in low range - it just pulled so well.

I'm leaving the old turbo on until the engine's run in - on the advice of BAS - just to avoid the risk of any rebuilding swarf going through with the oil. That may not be such a risk with a Turner engine, but it makes sense to follow the advice.

When I drop out the running-in oil, I'll fit the VNT.

I know I used to get about 28-30mpg in the past. Maybe down to 22 when towing the boat (about 1 tonne). That was on a stock 300Tdi, with 230k on the clock. So I do have a yardstick for the future, but where I am now - I just couldn't say yet. Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #817055 26th Feb 2020 2:40pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info Donald, I was going to fit the pin and ring myself with a few Allisport goodies so great to have the info. Thumbs Up
Post #817251 27th Feb 2020 6:26pm
foxhound

donmacn wrote:
I've had mine redone recently. Unfortunately I haven't had it in long enough to give any opinion on fuel economy - though I can already say that 'performance' is greatly improved.

It was done by Electro-Diesel in Exeter, so I had to send it away for 10 days or so.

I was pleased with the service, and they talked me through their process - an initial 'baseline' assessment of the pump as they receive it (mine was 15% 'down' from where it should be); then they bring it up to the 'standard' spec and pressure check to see if the components will handle any increase; then they called me to confirm this position, and gave me a final quote for the rebuild and tweaking.

No doubt mine has made a significant difference to the car's 'oomph' - whether it's affected the 'mpg' I'll need to wait and see - but this was part of a bigger job, so I'd expect to see some difference. Ultimately I think it will depend on how I decide to drive it.

lovely people at Exeter electro diesel and they found 2 things wrong with my so-called reconditioned and re-set spare pump - they'll be swapping it over as soon as i can get back to Devon at half the price around Reading! 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #820082 18th Mar 2020 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1