↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Oil Pressure gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andyju

United Kingdom 
Oil Pressure gauge
I’m fitting a new oil pressure switch and it’s got me wondering about fitting an oil pressure gauge ( I’m going to fit a raptor dash so would have somewhere to mount it)

Silly question time - is it just as simple as fitting an adaptor that allows me to fit two pressure switches and then have one connected to the dashboard light ( the existing switch) and then taking a feed from the second switch to the gauge?

Thanks

Andy 1998 300tdi 110CSW
Freelander 2
Various D1 and D2s gone to the big crusher in the sky
Post #813242 2nd Feb 2020 4:49pm
donmacn

hi Andy,

I won't have all the answer, but what you're describing is vaguely similar to the 'madman' set up. There's a T piece that you fit into the oil filter housing, and then you put the original oil pressure switch into one port, and the 'new' sender into the other.

This new one sends a signal to the madman gauge. Originally they were VDO analogue senders, now madman are doing their own solid state version. I have one of these to fit quite soon.

So it's quite possible to fit two senders, then if you were handy with electrickery, I can't see any particularly difficult reason why you couldn't use one to service your new gauge in the centre console? Perhaps your gauge will come with wiring already attached, then all you'd need to do would be to make sure that the threads on your T piece were all compatible with their intended purpose - i.e. that the male part worked with the thread in the LR filter housing, and that there were two female ports to accept the original oil pressure switch, and whatever 'new' one you wanted to use....?

This all makes sense to me! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #813294 2nd Feb 2020 8:26pm
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Yes " , i have a oil p.Gauge, fitted where the clock should be,[ next to fuel gauge] . i removed the light pressure switch, and screwed in the oil gauge fitting, ,i have no oil light just the gauge .whitch reads 50 psi on startup, . falling to around 40 wen warm ,,[ newish oil], and engines on 370,000 Cool
Post #813318 2nd Feb 2020 10:57pm
Litch

England 
I have a Durite mechanical oil pressure gauge on the 300TDi and have been very happy with it for the 6-years it has been fitted.

I used a T-adaptor into the oil pressure switch hole, the oil pressure switch screwed into one end and the hose adaptor to the gauge into the other. Used Goodrich SS braided hose (made up for me by Merlin Motorsport) which goes through the bulkhead and straight into the back of the gauge with sufficient slack to allow me (if required) to remove the panel without unscrewing the hose.

ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #813410 3rd Feb 2020 5:43pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
If you are interested I have a spare OEM/Genuine oil gauge not sure if it is the temp or pressure, as it was never fitted (the Electric version not the capillary tube). It is just the gauge so does not come with an oil filter switch, or the 6V illumination bulb, though both still widely available, and a length of wire!
£18.00 posted.

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #813459 3rd Feb 2020 10:40pm
Andyju

United Kingdom 
Thank you for your help.

I think I've found what I need on Merlin Motorsports website - a VDO sensor that combines pressure and the warning light switch. That means I don't need an adaptor.

Nest question - is the thread M10x1?

And thank you for the offer of the gauge. It looks like a temperature gauge rather than pressure so not what I'm after

Cheers

Andy 1998 300tdi 110CSW
Freelander 2
Various D1 and D2s gone to the big crusher in the sky
Post #813800 5th Feb 2020 8:03pm
Landumph

England 1993 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Arles Blue
Gilarion, I would be interested in your oil pressure gauge, OK if I PM you about payment??
Post #813941 6th Feb 2020 6:02pm
gilarion

Landumph, you are more than welcome to PM me if you want this gauge. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #814004 6th Feb 2020 11:05pm
Landumph

Sir, you have a PM!
Post #814028 7th Feb 2020 10:13am
gilarion

Gauge sold to Landumph. Thank you. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #814048 7th Feb 2020 2:45pm
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Landumph " thats an oil temp gauge ,not oil pressure ,
Post #814555 10th Feb 2020 10:27pm
Landumph

Thanks for pointing that out Blackhat, I did actually want an oil temperature gauge but for some reason typed pressure instead of temperature, what a numpty Thud
Post #814558 10th Feb 2020 10:45pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I'm fitting a solid state pressure sensor that has an analogue voltage output that I'm displaying digitally on my modified Puma instrument console in the unused central rectangular area between rev counter and mph guage. A 16 x 2 character OLED display fits perfectly in that location.
Oil pressure is just one of the display options along with external air temperature, heater matrix temp, cabin temp and coolant temp. These all being part of my climate control solution.
A question was raised regarding the thread size for the pressure switch in the filter housing. The suggestion was it's a M10 x 1 mm. Is this correct?? "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #898702 16th Apr 2021 8:25pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Just realised a Tdi 200 or 300 may have a different thread size for the oil pressure switch to the Puma TDCi.
I need to know both really as I plan to fit a pressure gauge to my Tdci and my 200 Tdi pickup. Can anyone help?? "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #898706 16th Apr 2021 8:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1