↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > gear box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
90def

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Epsom Green
gear box
just been told that having your puma tuned can break the gear box as its not a good box is this true or a load of rubbish
Post #81206 20th Jul 2011 5:12pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: gear box
90def wrote:
just been told that having your puma tuned can break the gear box as its not a good box is this true or a load of rubbish

I thought most gearboxes were duff from the start! Mine is... Been into the stealers 3 times already, and it's gonna get booked back in any day now.. Sad ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #81207 20th Jul 2011 5:17pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Its not the best gearbox that's been thrown into a Defner. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #81211 20th Jul 2011 5:56pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Given that the boxes aren't as strong as some that have been used in the past I would imagine as far as tuning goes it all depends how you drive it,if you give it lots of welly and shock loads and they are bound to have an effect. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #81224 20th Jul 2011 7:02pm
nicknick

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
I can see everyones point on gearbox strength, i have just had my re-map done and i work my 90 hard so watch this space and we shall see.......
what i can tell you is i have a lwb transit on our fleet with the same engine and box as a puma , it has a hiab mounted on the rear and runs at 3.5ton gross nearly all the time plus it tows a 6 wheeled ifor williams trailer loaded to the transits max towing weight of 2.6tonnes so its running at 6.1tonnes train weight and we put 104,000miles on it last year and 90 some thousand the previous year and my drivers arent gentle, no gearbox issues yet so i dont think we defender owners need to worry. Thumbs Up
Post #81274 20th Jul 2011 8:55pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
If you worry about the gearbox, change it. There are two different Ford Transit boxes and the Puma received the lower duty version, so simply go to a Ford dealer and get the heavy duty gearbox. It'll fit 1:1 and takey about 30/40 % more torque. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #81302 20th Jul 2011 9:39pm
LR09WA

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
NinetyTD4 wrote:
If you worry about the gearbox, change it. There are two different Ford Transit boxes and the Puma received the lower duty version, so simply go to a Ford dealer and get the heavy duty gearbox. It'll fit 1:1 and takey about 30/40 % more torque.

This is a interesting prospect, I have been thinking what would be my option 10 years down the track when the puma getrag is totally stuffed and I don't really like the idea of a auto as a replacement.

I wonder if ashtrans have had a go rebuilding a puma getrag yet, I bet half the problem with the gearbox is build quality, we cant really blame the hp of the puma motor can we Rolling Eyes

So is this the answer we should all be looking into!! and does it fit straight in with out modification??

Regards

LR09WA
Post #81347 21st Jul 2011 2:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1