↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > New tyres, new name
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
New tyres, new name
I fitted these to a 90 300 tdi . They are 235/85/16. They replaced B F Goodrich A/T 265/75/16 which all had cracked side walls. They are Davanti Terratoura A/T tyres. They came in at £120 each fitted and balanced. They carry the snow flake symbol. Here are some photos.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Previously I had fitted Michelin Latitude Cross 235/85/16 to a Puma 110 and was tempted to go for these again. The garage recommended these Davanti Terratoura tyres.I did a little research and went for them.
This was one of the articles I came across.
https://tyretradenews.co.uk/news/north-wes...e-partner/ 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #812713 30th Jan 2020 4:00pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
from memory Davanti is a subsidiary of Continental Tyres and allows them to compete with the more 'budget' end of the market
Post #812714 30th Jan 2020 4:12pm
spudfan

Ireland 
The blurb
"Davanti Tyres are a new and innovative brand to hit the UK market. Designed by engineers in the UK and produced in one of the world's most advanced tyre plants, Davanti Tyres are created with performance, efficiency, and comfort in mind.

Independently tested in Europe at IDIADA, Davanti's tyre labelling results rival those of the traditional premium manufacturers and have been proven to offer exceptional wet performance and an extremely quiet ride.

With a rapidly expanding range, including many niche fitments, Davanti Tyres produce passenger car tyres up to 22 inch rim size in addition to an extensive commercial van range.

Whatever the conditions, whatever the drive, lead the way with Davanti Tyr
Edd Cobley on You Tube
 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #812718 30th Jan 2020 5:03pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm happy to be proven wrong and it'll be interesting to see what you think, but I'd bet Davanti are just generic white label tyres made in a factory that makes similar or the same for any number of other budget brands. As an of example their wares, albeit not 4x4, the brand finished stone last in this German winter tyre test by ADAC in Germany: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019...e-Test.htm

I'm not saying they are all rubbish tyres, and the ATs might be fine, probably with a construction "borrowed" from an older mainstream design, but it just impossible for a small company like that to do any meaningful research development compared to the big brands. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 30th Jan 2020 6:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #812731 30th Jan 2020 6:08pm
Bluest

90 Dreamer wrote:
from memory Davanti is a subsidiary of Continental Tyres and allows them to compete with the more 'budget' end of the market

They're definitely not one of Continental's brands. I don't think Davanti are associated with any of the big players. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #812733 30th Jan 2020 6:19pm
spudfan

Ireland 
https://www.tyroola.com.au/tyre/davanti/ 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #812760 30th Jan 2020 8:11pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Bluest wrote:
I'm happy to be proven wrong and it'll be interesting to see what you think, but I'd bet Davanti are just generic white label tyres made in a factory that makes similar or the same for any number of other budget brands. As an of example their wares, albeit not 4x4, the brand finished stone last in this German winter tyre test by ADAC in Germany: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019...e-Test.htm

I'm not saying they are all rubbish tyres, and the ATs might be fine, probably with a construction "borrowed" from an older mainstream design, but it just impossible for a small company like that to do any meaningful research development compared to the big brands.

Good job your happy to be proven wrong as unfortunantly in this case you are. I was with Ed last week for a couple of days and drove his 110 with these tyres on. I was really impressed. In fact I'm going to swap my mud tyres for them.

They are are a british brand. They have done extensive research and the results show for themselves. They are good enough for Ed to rally his new truck on. That says a lot. If you don't know about Ed's background look him up.

My experience:

The tyres clear really quickly of mud even at low speeds. We were in the really thick sticky clay. This is because of a clever design feature in the way the tread is cut.

They seemed to worked well over a range of surfaces, the one that really impressed was on the rocks, gripping in up some crazy climbs. We certainly span them up a few times pushing the envelope and no adverse effects.

I also noticed compared to the mud tyres a lot kinder to the environment, they don't tear up the ground so much so a better choice for green laneing etc IMHO.

On the road very quiet and performed really well. Overall a great tyre for individuals like myself who spend 80% of their time on the road.
Post #812763 30th Jan 2020 8:30pm
Bluest

Ed has a commercial arrangement with Davanti to promote their tyres in return for supporting his racing, so it would be healthy to be cynical about what he says about them. I am not suggesting he would be dishonest in any way, just that you would not expect an unbiased view from him.

It is completely unfeasible to expect Davanti to have resources to develop and test tyres to the level of the big firms do and I would be surprised if they performed as well across the full range of performance, not just off road racing, as a tyre from the big firms. Again, I am not saying the Davanti is a bad tyre, just that the odds are that it isn’t as good as a more expensive tyre from the established names.

Your opinion, having tried them carries more weight for me, and I am glad you like them. More choice in decent AT tyres is a good thing for us. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #812769 30th Jan 2020 9:04pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Bluest wrote:
90 Dreamer wrote:

They're definitely not one of Continental's brands. I don't think Davanti are associated with any of the big players.

sorry think i was getting mixed up with some previous (Barum ?) tyres..........have checked and the last set of tyres we had on the Transporter were Davanti and worked very well for 4-5yrs or so albeit they are now needing replaced due to wear
they have always gripped very well bearing in mind its suitably modded at around 200bhp and driven fairly hard most of the time - these are pukka 8ply commercial tyres but with a 'sport' leaning.........

certainly far better than the current winter jobs on at this moment
Post #812824 31st Jan 2020 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1