↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Will the 2020 Defender be reliable ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
diduan

Bulgaria 
Even the most reliable car can beake at any time. For me the important question is who can fix it - myself, a buddy with more knowledge, free mechanic or a highly specialized service? Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #812024 26th Jan 2020 10:50am
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think that is the crux of the matter.
How good are the dealers at diagnosis and repair?
No matter how good anything mechanical may be, at some point there is the chance of a failure or problem. You then find out how good the back up is.
Can the dealer diagnose the fault? Can they get the correct parts quickly, let’s assume they do not have anything in stock!
Then can they fit them and is the warranty policy workable?
Poor dealers and bad service does not sell you a car the second time! PCP or lease you probably don’t care...
I don’t think any manufacturer has this sorted, certainly local to me I hear stories about all of them not being up to what I would expect to be a decent standard.
In the uk, it is very disappointing the number of new or less than 6 month old cars which appear to be broken down and getting recovered. My observation is that VAG group are poor in this respect.
Post #812068 26th Jan 2020 4:07pm
mikelike

JLR and Land Rover seem to be early adopters of new technology , and we must give them credit where credit is due.
But competition like Toyota seem to be more conservative , giving the consumer older but ultimately a more reliable
product at the end of the day .

JLR dealer network is shrinking in this part of the world due to the cost and expertise required in service centres ,
Requiring the consumer to trek to a main urban centre that can amount to be huge distances !

I believe this to be a very serious issue for any automotive manufacturer when it comes to sales numbers .

So what does JLR come up with , prolonged service intervals that are unreasonable .

I love my Land Rovers , I own seven , but I am becoming very concerned with JLRs long term viability .

Big Cry

Post #812112 27th Jan 2020 12:26am
zilch

Australia 
Hi Mike greetings across the ditch

My general point was not to delve into the issues of each vehicle but just to show that there are problems with
many manufacturers in terms of the lack of after care, once you have driven off the forecourt, seems common to all.

The youtube presenter was all rose tinted about the Japanese / Korean brigade, seems to ignore the history of
problems with the most popular brands, a few of which are premium priced in Australia (Patrol/LC200/Prado) and gives
the all to common "anything but LR" review, hence why i mentioned the Mazda problems which are just as bad as the
LR DPF issue..yet he says go buy a Mazda Shocked Laughing

not quite caught up with you on the number of LR's owned, only 2 Discovery's, 3.9 Classic RR, 2 RRS's and
the P400 on order.. but a fellow LR advocat (masochist) Laughing and willing to give the new Defender a go.. i just cannot
buy a 3rd RRS, and i did order a Petrol this time around Whistle .

Much of the Tech capability has been around a few years now, Terrain Response, Ediffs, Air Suspension, so proven i
would say in the D3/D4/RRS.and you always have the option to ignore the TR and put it into plain old Low range.. so
no more trickery than your Defender Whistle Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #812120 27th Jan 2020 5:10am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
mikelike wrote:
JLR and Land Rover seem to be early adopters of new technology , and we must give them credit where credit is due.

What things are you thinking about?
Post #812147 27th Jan 2020 10:03am
mikelike

Hi Supacat , thinking of the early adoption of SRS airbags in 4x4s , electronic traction control , air bag suspension systems
in the late 80s , Hill descent control in the freelander , everything has that now !

How about the early adoption of CAN Bus electrical systems , I took my Disco 2 in to an automotive electrician
and he was amazed it was all Can bus , thought it was to old for that complex expensive system , his summary ,
a bloody nightmare !

Land Rover is now making vehicles in full monocoque alloy , why I do not know , and long term repair is
going to be interesting let alone off road damage .

These are the sorts of thing that make Land Rover an innovator but when it is not industry norm ,
there will always be detractors .
Post #812239 27th Jan 2020 9:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
Land Rover is now making vehicles in full monocoque alloy , why I do not know

LR have been a real pioneer of this and it's all to do with saving weight. The D5 is about half a tonne lighter than a D3/4 and ISTR a similar difference between the current FFRR and the previous model. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #812240 27th Jan 2020 9:36pm
mikelike

The " why I do not know " remark was a little facetious on my part and I do realise that it is a weight
saving initiative , but there must be a big question of long term ownership experience with this type
of construction , as I have heard of XJ jaguars showing signs of body galvanic corrosion all ready .

Land Rover once again being innovative but out on a limb and not industry norm .
Post #812248 27th Jan 2020 9:58pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The aluminium XJs must have been around for at least 15 years by now, so it’s to be expected some corrosion issues will be starting to show. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #812253 27th Jan 2020 10:06pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
milesr3 wrote:
Huttopia wrote:
Unless there has been a real step change in engineering quality with the new Defender it will be as reliable as the rest of the current offerings.

The Discovery 5 is the closest in terms of D7u platform and drivetrain isn't it? But without the SDV6 engine.

I hadn't realised how serious the DPF / oil dilution issues were with the D8 platform (e.g. Discovery Sport); that it has been engineered in a manner that makes successful DPF regeneration such an obstacle in everyday usage and that the permitted oil dilution was increased with greater probability of engine failure for the first owner(s). Quite how JLR took the Freelander 2 and turned it into this beggars belief.

There does appear to be many issues that are wider than where the vehicle is assembled. I sincerely hope that the L663 is a reboot.

The new Defender is built on the same platform as the RR Sport.
Post #812254 27th Jan 2020 10:06pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
mikelike wrote:
The " why I do not know " remark was a little facetious on my part and I do realise that it is a weight
saving initiative , but there must be a big question of long term ownership experience with this type
of construction , as I have heard of XJ jaguars showing signs of body galvanic corrosion all ready .

Land Rover once again being innovative but out on a limb and not industry norm .

Audi and most of the major other manufacturers do the same......
Post #812256 27th Jan 2020 10:08pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst, Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #812259 27th Jan 2020 10:16pm
mikelike

I know the A8 was alloy years ago , but look at one of those is worth now ?

If Defender2 was industry normal and built on a ladder frame I bet the residual value in ten years time will be better
than it is going to be being all alloy .

In this part of the world , a Toyota is a way better long term proposition than a Land Rover ,
retaining strong residuals .

Check out NZ s trade me like your ebay .
Post #812261 27th Jan 2020 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12