Home > Off Topic > Saracens salary cap scandal ~ a descent into pure farce
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Saracens salary cap scandal ~ a descent into pure farce
I think this meets the genuine test of "outrageous":

"At the back of the players’ minds will also be another nagging thought: should they have seen some of this coming? Sure, it is not strictly their business how their club’s finances are handled. But did no one think to wonder, as they looked around the dressing-room with its legions of top internationals, how they could assemble and retain this calibre of squad while no one else was doing so? If not, perhaps they should have done."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/202...tens-farce
Post #810805 18th Jan 2020 7:58am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
What is interesting is how long it has taken to surface! Never mind in the dressing room, how about the entire rugby world looking in at the most dominant team in England for a decade and it not coming to light sooner!! I think it was always pretty obvious that is wasn’t above board, but I can’t believe the prem never explored it properly until now.

It’s a real shame. I love the honesty and integrity in union, but behaviour like this really taints it for me.
Post #810820 18th Jan 2020 9:49am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
It's taken as long as it has to surface because eventually when you field a full team of internationals in fron of fans and TV audiences it becomes impossible for the powers that be to pretend it isn't happening. Least of all to the only team that has any impact on the European stage. If the Premiership admitted that their top team and the ERC champions were cheating, in theory they should be accountable at a European level as well. Like Quins ten years ago. Or you can keep quiet and hope it goes away. It amazes me that they haven't, at the very least, been stripped of their Prem title. I hate this format of play offs. Exeter were Champions after coming top in the regular season, so if their oppos in the final were proven and accepted to have cheated to gain a quality-of-player advantage, against a team that 7 years ago was one division below, then the title should go to the Chiefs. Very very weak response by Prem rugby in general.

As for what Kitson alludes to about by the players, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Players careers are short enough as it is, shorter still if you go against your team. Look at the cha, who's name escapes me, who dobbed-in Dean Richards during the bloodgate scandal. Richards lied and eventually fell on his Sword to protect the club, gets another job. The young chap 'does the right thing' and career is pretty much over. Nobody is going to hire someone who speaks out against a club whatever they may do. Business is the same, whether we like it or not. Whistle blowers don't get hired.

Signed, Angry Quins Fan. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #810937 19th Jan 2020 9:29am
Supacat

I'm not sure it's all over with regard to previous Championships if Tony Rowe is to be listened to.
Post #810947 19th Jan 2020 10:21am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
What is hard to reconcile is that the ‘new’ chief exec is the old chief exec, the one who laid the foundations for the cheating in the first place. That doesn’t chime with wanting to be whiter than white. The story has mileage in it still, Sarries have chosen the option of relegation vs opening up their books to third party scrutiny. Why they have been given that choice is beyond me, and I hope the books are opened in time. How bad must the situation be if they have chosen relegation vs open book?

All of the chatter about feeling sorry for the players / staff etc is utter nonsense. If the car park attendant can do basic maths they must have wondered how the club could afford all these stars in the same squad, but nobody said a thing.

Relegation seems like a nonsense too- think about a trimmed Sarries squad playing every club next season and beating them twice- a dead rubber for the rest of the championship teams?
Post #810997 19th Jan 2020 3:38pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan...igh-ground WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #811561 23rd Jan 2020 12:16am
Supacat

An interesting perspective ~ there's a lot to like about the way rugby conducts it's way on the field but I guess expecting that approach off the field is a little naive. Not sure I'm happy to watch any sport in a "moral vacuum" though.
Post #811574 23rd Jan 2020 7:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1