Home > Puma (Tdci) > Oil Everywhere!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Oil Everywhere!
Hello,

I have an oil leak in the engine bay, near side, that I expect is the vacuum pump and mostly I ignore it because it's not that bad. However, yesterday I did a long(ish) journey and did the usual oil top up before setting off. At 75 miles I stopped and noticed oil up the back of the car. I popped the bonnet and there was oil all over the place. Under side of the bonnet, all over the near side of the bay, air con pump, dripping off the axle etc. It had hit the fan so got spread far and wide. I wiped what I could get to and checked the dip-stick and I'd lost about 5mm since topping up. I topped up some more and set off for home.

Once home I checked the bay again and couldn't see that any more had leaked out, all my smears in the oil were still there without new oil on them. So here are the questions, if I hadn't secured the oil top up cap properly, could it have leaked that much oil while driving? Could the vacuum pump lose that much oil then decide not to? Does the vacuum pump oil leak get progressively worse until I have to deal with it? Anything else?

Thanks for any replies.
Post #806292 15th Dec 2019 1:37pm
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
yeah this happened to me once I forgot to secure the cap and it absolutely spray everywhere the under side of the bonnet was just covered and it went all the way down the back has she lost the cap must come off down the road and have to go and get a new and steam clean the whole thing
Post #806331 15th Dec 2019 6:30pm
AndyS

Thank you, fatboyron, but I think things have moved on a bit! I've cleaned the engine bay up so I could see what's happening and took it for a short trip this morning and it seems to be leaking from that plastic disk on the timing case cover. Does it look like it's from that plastic disk? I'm sorry to keep asking questions but it's Christmas month and my budget for this is £0 so I've got to do it myself!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks again.
Post #806434 16th Dec 2019 11:33am
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
I've blown the pictures up and can see it coming but I can't really tell.

Hopefully someone else on here can give you an answer.

Yeah this time of year isn't great, having just spent £1000 + repairing mine and still got to go back in on Friday!
Post #806532 16th Dec 2019 11:06pm
AndyS

I think it's an engine breather problem. I poked a bit of rag to push the plastic fuel pipe cover back into place and the leak stopped. But if I gun it up a hill, it'll still leak which suggests crank case pressure isn't being vented and pushing oil out of weak points.

But where is the engine breather pipe on a Puma engine? The Haynes manual doesn't mention it, shock!

Click image to enlarge
Post #806996 20th Dec 2019 11:51am
Snorkers

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I think the breather on a Puma is at the rear off side corner of the rocker cover. On a right hand drive its about 20-22mm from memory and runs forward to the induction pipe between the air box lid and the turbo intake.

I've often wondered how the pcv valve works on these engines and tried to open one up from an engine in a scrap yard. I concluded that they are nor readily serviceable an are an integral part of the rocker cover. Unfortunately because of the way the cover is mounted, its a bit of a mare to swap out as I think you've to let go the injector pipes and replace the cover to injector seals at the same time.

If you suspect engine breathing problems, perhaps a search on the wider net for transit crank case pressure problems might provide more info. Now you've piqued my curiosity, I might have a gander myself. I've always thought that pcs valves if fitted should be cleanable/replaceable.

Hope this might be a starter for ten, and have a great Christmas.

Regards as always.
Post #807226 22nd Dec 2019 2:59pm
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
The Puma 2.4 engine does NOT have a PCV valve
If you have over pressure, it may be the copper seals of the injectors !!!
Post #807310 23rd Dec 2019 11:11am
Snorkers

Sorry if I may have misled anyone. I think its generally accepted that most engines nowadays have some form of crank case ventilation. These are usually vented back into the induction tract at some point. In many modern vehicles a PCV valve is fitted to control the flow of crankcase gasses, and normally when fitted, these are either serviceable or replaceable. In the Puma 2.4, the hose from the back of the rocker cover is connected back to the induction trunk. There is no serviceable valve, but I can confirm that there is a piece of filter media, and a spring and diaphragm in the rocker cover immediately behind the hose to the inlet trunk. It is covered by a pressed on plastic cover which does not appear to be designed to be removed. In some exploded diagrams of the rocker cover it can be seen.

It's certainly not listed a PCV, but it appears to be doing this function to some degree. I'm certainly not an expert on these engines, just an enthusiast owner, and I'm more than happy for someone to explain how the system works as the gasses certainly go somewhere and if he hose served no function it wouldn't be there.
Post #807668 26th Dec 2019 6:10pm
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Snorkers, It's exactly how you're explaining! In my Puma 2.4 when I wanted to disassemble the round lid where I also thought I had a valve, it is welded and ended up breaking !!!!
There I learned that only 2.2 has a PCV valve
Is that why many put the Mann Hummel Provent 200 Filter?

regards
Post #807675 26th Dec 2019 6:33pm
Snorkers

Hi again,
Looking at a copy of the Land Rover Workshop manual Defender 2007 on, it has the following to say.
Excessive blow-by. Possible Cause. Breather System restricted/blocked.
Check engine breather hoses. Check the oil separator.
Refer to Engine Emission Control (303-08 Engine Emission Control -2.4 Duratorq -TDCi HPCR 103kw/140ps -Puma Description and Operation. Rectify as necessary.

Technical Drawing E86519 shows the rocker cover, vent hose, oil separator (part 4) and induction hose. Not much info there really. It indicates visual inspections of these parts. The filter/spring/ diaphragm that the vent hose connects to does not appear as a separate replaceable part. Short of sucking on thine vent hose (not really recommended) I'm not sure how this could be tested?
Suggestions on a postcard.!

I think the catch cans are fitted to capture oil that is getting past the oil separator valve in the rocker box. if the separator valve failed completely shut, then no vapour or oil would get out. Well it might after it blew out the crankshaft oil seals HaHa,😂
Most searches 're pressurised crank cases seem to be the result of loose injectors or damaged injector lower seals.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon..on the plus side, I've not yet encountered a problem with the Defender that can't be resolved by a combination of reasoned thinking, shouting, swearing, threats with replacement and finally the expenditure of my hard earned dosh....
Hope you all have an awesome 2020
Regards
Snorkers
Post #807693 26th Dec 2019 8:19pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hi Snorkers,

As a real basic trial, could you just disconnect the hose where it joins the air intake and see if it 'chuffs' with the engine running, if it does then its not blocked~?

Keith
Post #807700 26th Dec 2019 8:41pm
Snorkers

To be honest Keith, I'm not sure. If you try it, I can't see that it would do much harm for a short test. The engine management might detect a discrepancy in air flow if the engine can draw unmetered air in where the crank case vent joins. I don't know how sensitive the system is. I suppose you could bung/blank/plug where it joins the air box to turbo pipe?

In addition, I'm unsure under which operating parameters the oil separator valve vents crank case gasses. Low revs? High revs? Low load? High load? I wouldn't want to give you any duff information.

I know that you'd like definitive answer and hopefully some of our gurus will soon chime in Very Happy

Austin
Post #807705 26th Dec 2019 9:34pm
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I have my cam cover off atm and can confirm that the part no 4 as indicated above is indeed an oil separator, and, also as indicated above, it is glued on and will more than likely break if removal is attempted? Have you seen the price of a replacement cover!!!

Inside the cover there is a huge chamber, the whole length of the right side of the cover which has square shielded hole at the front and two tubes which go down behind the valve gear of no2 and no4 cylinders. I can only assume the square hole is for the gasses to escape the engine into the chamber and the two tubes are the oil return once it has condensed on the surfaces of said chamber.

It would appear that the oily gasses are then forced upwards into the oil separator where the oil will drop out and the air will make its way downwards and into the pipe to the intake trunking. (If you look down the plastic pipe on the cover it has a upturn inside it at the end of the hole).

@AndyS that circular cover you have shoved a rag into is the fuel pump sprocket cover. It will turn clockwise if it's loose. If you can pull the bottom of it out and forwards it's probably broken? It goes in on a boyonet system.. twist and lock.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #810719 17th Jan 2020 3:58pm
ior

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Caledonian Blue
I had exactly the same issue.
turned out to be injector seals Censored oil everywhere (and a poorly fitted new vacuum pump).
Apparently the injector seals are becoming a common issue on 2.4's
Post #812655 30th Jan 2020 11:04am
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
When you say "Injector seals", I assume you mean the copper ones at the base of the injector and not the larger ring seals around the tops? Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #812675 30th Jan 2020 12:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>