↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > scotland trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
“I have created a really nice itinerary document for my trip, Tolley, sorry for jumping on your post but I will happily forward to my itinerary... GPS notes and all... once I return in case I Censored anything up!”

Have a great trip Benniferj. I’m sure you’ll love it.

I’ve done itanti-clockwise on a motorbike but wanting to go again this summer in the Defender. I’d be very interested in seeing your route/itinerary if you don’t mind sharing?

Peter Thumbs Up
Post #809581 9th Jan 2020 5:03pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Hope you're packing your waterproofs. I've just crossed into the borders for a long weekend stalking in the Highlands and weather is supposed to be crap.

Looks like there's some snow at the top of Drummochter. Should be OK though, in a 110 with three lockers and an 8 wheel drive amphibious vehicle on the back...
Laughing Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #809591 9th Jan 2020 5:35pm
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I'll definitely share the itinerary when I'm back, and draw on a few notes of changes made and notable things on the fly. There should be a full video of the trip too.

Sako, i've definitely got my waterproofs, and a few backup plans for if its too bad up there! I could spend the day transferring the Ashlockers from my 90 into the 110 Shocked
Post #809663 10th Jan 2020 10:16am
L110CDL

England 
Have a great time and you will love it and want to do it again Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #809732 10th Jan 2020 9:25pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Enjoy your trip.

We love Skye, Evey turn...wow look at the view..

Lovely place...

Take plenty of jungle spray though...the migees were a pain !!

Safe travels
Post #809758 11th Jan 2020 7:55am
donmacn

I hope the trip goes well - the way the weather is today, and with the forecast, it will be "an adventure".

PM if you end up looking for advice or information around the Inverness area.

Midgies? Not this weekend I can gaurantee that. Any midgie that takes flight would probably end up in Orkney, Shetland or even Norway! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #809782 11th Jan 2020 10:33am
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
benniferj wrote:
I have created a really nice itinerary document for my trip, Tolley, sorry for jumping on your post but I will happily forward to my itinerary... GPS notes and all... once I return in case I Censored anything up!

yes would love to hear about it . Thumbs Up
Post #809869 11th Jan 2020 7:55pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Well I suspect he's getting very wet.

Was amazed at the amount of water that came down our burns on Saturday. Two new ones formed temporarily across the road. Sunday morning we had a couple of blizzards whilst out stalking but it warmed up relatively quickly.

Winds on the drive south were very strong though, coming down the steep hill into Dalwhinnie I actually had to accelerate to maintain headway in my 110. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #810137 13th Jan 2020 9:39pm
benniferj

Haha, its all going very well thanks.

2 nights on the roof tent and we've kept dry and very high spirits!

Tonight went a bit wrong as the bothy we were planning to kip in has had a gate locked off where it shouldn't be on the track that goes there... so cheapy hotel instead.

The weathers been a little full on today with severe winds but it didn't stop us hiking up to the Fyrish monument and seeing some great sights. We've had a real mix of sun, snow, wind and rain, but it's been beautiful the whole time...
Post #810144 13th Jan 2020 11:15pm
benniferj

Click image to enlarge

Sako, admittedly today there's been a few moments where we've been getting a little blown around, nothing too heart skippy though.
Post #810147 13th Jan 2020 11:18pm
tolley

trip
we are going on the 24th/2 and staying in a lodge just above lock ness near Bunloit ,any info on the area , track, places to visit remoter the better Mr. Green .
Thumbs Up
Post #811679 23rd Jan 2020 8:22pm
Tim in Scotland

If you fancy the Scottish equivalent of a spot of greenlaning while you are up in Central Scotland then you are out of luck because esssential that you have the land owners permission up here, there are no public rights of way in Scotland. All is not list though as twice a month the Scottish Green Road Club runs club outings in some truly spectacular places as a group day out in your own car. The runs are always popular and you can contact them through their website www.scotgrc.co.uk
Their next run is 2nd February at Butterbridge on the north side of the Rest And Be Thankful https://www.scotgrc.co.uk/?page_id=34

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #811733 23rd Jan 2020 11:48pm
tolley

Many thanks, not so much about green landing just some remote lanes , we have a few Forrest track we can go so that should be fun.
Post #811749 24th Jan 2020 7:52am
Tim in Scotland

Do be careful to access FC land with the right permissions - they don’t hesitate to take action against what they see as trespassers - in many forests now in Scotland even the Forest Drives are closed on H&S grounds especially during harvesting ops. Even quad bikes and horses have been stopped entering vast areas of the QE2 Forest Park north of Glasgow. They really only welcome mountain bikers and walkers. There can also be problems acccessing Waterboard and wind farm lanes in a 4x4.
Even if workers from FC et all don’t report you we have had complaints against the club from members of the public to the utility companies despite having written permissions - although it is good when the utility managers come with us and can point out that we are carrying the right permits etc which usually silences walkers and mountain bikers when they encounter us! As a club we also have to enforce a no posting of photos in public / open forums or on social media As a condition of gaining access to drives - mainly because we have to pay for access and land owners can loose out on grants by earning from us if they give access to, for example, set aside land. Please don’t trespass as it tars us locals with the “irresponsible / in considerate SUV driver” tar brush (which we are not, we comply with land owners requirements to the letter (including disinfection of our vehicles before entering woodlands and on exit to prevent spreading tree diseases) and we loose access to routes as a result. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #811773 24th Jan 2020 1:30pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Horse riders, cyclists and walkers can access almost all land for the purposes of recreation, but not vehicles.

There are no ‘forest tracks’ you can legally drive, other than official forest drives as mentioned above. These are often tolled. Forest roads are built for 44-tonne lorries and pose no challenge or interest to 4x4 drivers in most cases.

I’m afraid Scotland is not a good place for green laning or off-roading other than at pay-and-play sites. The people who manage and/or own the countryside take a very dim view of people driving off the highway without permission. Especially those who then go on to park up and ‘wild camp’ and leave a mess - camping with a car is not wild camping.

The good news is that the nature of the highlands is that you do not need to venture off tarmac to find wonderful scenery and isolated spots to enjoy.
Post #811827 24th Jan 2020 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>