↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Drone/Vibration between 1600-2000rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dave H

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Hi, did you ever manage to solve the vibration problem, I am getting the same drone on my 2009 90, very frustrating between 1400-1500rpm.

Any help would be appreciated!
Post #807271 22nd Dec 2019 8:43pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Hi, sadly not. I tend to drive outside of that rev range where possible and is something I just got used to.

Sorry that's not much help!

Have you checked the usual suspects such as the turbo heatshield?

Regards... Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #807276 22nd Dec 2019 9:34pm
Dave H

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Thanks for the quick response, the vibration seems to run the length of the vehicle so not the heat shield. I’ve had her for around 4 years now and this has been going on for around a year. Checked all the normal stuff. I could run it into a garage but guess they would run up a hefty bill just looking for the problem.

I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything!

Thanks again.
Post #807279 22nd Dec 2019 9:52pm
DG123

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I had a similar drone - it got so annoying I had to travel below 50 or over 70, or cruise in 5th to keep the revs up Neutral . I lived with for ages after investigating all the likely culprits (as per the thread).

I finally got round to changing the original Conti Cross Contacts after about 60,000 miles and replaced with BFG KO2’s. I had the wheel alignment done at the same time as there was some strange wear patterns on the front tyres.

Drove back home on the motorway - silence Very Happy (well relatively Rolling Eyes ) It’s been fine ever since, so was either the wheel alignment or worn tyres or combination of the two, but worth looking at if your tyres are getting on a bit. 2012 110 XS SW Orkney Grey
2003 D2 Td5 Black [SOLD]
Post #807284 22nd Dec 2019 10:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I believe Blackwolf on here had similar sort of issues as you had with tyre wear before.

On alternate tread blocks if I remember rightly.

Another vibration culprit can be a hidden UJ failure on the prop shafts.
It only takes one, often the rear most is the culprit.
They can seem fine in situ, with all manner of prying and checking but you can only tell if the are really in good order by removing and articulating fully.

It took me months to did out where I had this, and in the process had a diff leak created multiple times. So if you ever get a pinion oil leak, check the UJ’s in depth nearest to it.
You might find that’s the culprit too, and if not repaired you’ll get the oil leak back over and over.

Even the Indi I use missed the failed UJ cup and seized bearings on mine and the MOT tester. Been awesome since with the GKN ones.

It would have been interesting with the tyres you had issues with if they still did have problems if you added Dynabeads in. Or did you already use those too?

If you didn’t and still have them around it maybe interesting to give it a go perhaps? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #807287 22nd Dec 2019 11:48pm
orzowei

Italy 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Dave H wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, the vibration seems to run the length of the vehicle so not the heat shield. I’ve had her for around 4 years now and this has been going on for around a year. Checked all the normal stuff. I could run it into a garage but guess they would run up a hefty bill just looking for the problem.

I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything!

Thanks again.

Anche io ho lo stesso rumore a 1400 giri. Ho cambiato il map e ho tagliato lo scarico sostituendo il soffietto di lamiera con una rete. Ma niente la vibrazione e' rimasta.
Onestamente mi son arreso.

I also have the same vibration noise at 1400 rpm. I changed the map and cut the exhaust system by replacing the sheet metal bellows with mesh manifold. But nothing the vibration is still there ..
Honestly I give up ... sorry for the translation ----
Post #925449 12th Oct 2021 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12