↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Tdci Drivers seatbox reshuffle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Tdci Drivers seatbox reshuffle.
Hi All

I need to fit an auxiliary fusebox and a load of other systems onto my 110. Originally I was going to put them behind the 2nd row where I have plenty of space, however the cabling was going to be a bit of a nightmare. Now having looked further into the drivers seatbox area, I'm thinking this will be the best place.

My question is this: Is there anything wrong with me relocating the wabco ABS ECU from the shelf that it sits on and moving it to just below where the main harness comes into that box? My plan then would be to remove the shelf that it sits on (leaving the bracket that holds the link&blade fusebox in place) and bolt the new auxiliary systems to a bit of phenolic ply I have lying around.

Thanks in advance

Duncan North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #806320 15th Dec 2019 5:43pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Don't know the answer to the question about moving the ABS ECU other than if it is level with where the loom enters the seat-box, water could ingress there when you wade.

However, you could get an under-cubby box from say MudStuff and locate your aux fusebox in there. That way you have access to the battery on one side and the underseat fusebox on the drivers side.
Post #806420 16th Dec 2019 10:32am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
How about using a YRM centre toolbox tray like I have done in both of my Land Rovers?

In my 90 I use it for the 14CUX ECU and connections:

Click image to enlarge

In my 110 I use it for an auxiliary fuse box, relays and voltage sensing relay for the split charging system:

Click image to enlarge

I then have two batteries in the passenger side seatbox with a high current relay for winch isolation and another for connection of the two batteries for split charging.

Hope that helps
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #806426 16th Dec 2019 11:05am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Do those center boxes fit in a Puma? Is there not something running across that stops them fitting?
Post #806441 16th Dec 2019 12:17pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Blackwolf may be able to confirm. I recall we had a conversation about it previously and he was going to try one. The only thing I can see which would be in the way is the back of the LT230 which AFAIK is in the same location on the Puma and R380 vehicles as i think they use the same rear prop length.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #806442 16th Dec 2019 12:25pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I moved all my bits around and removed the shelf on my old Td5. I can’t see it being a problem with the change to Tdci.
Post #806455 16th Dec 2019 1:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
rallysteve wrote:
Blackwolf may be able to confirm. I recall we had a conversation about it previously and he was going to try one. The only thing I can see which would be in the way is the back of the LT230 which AFAIK is in the same location on the Puma and R380 vehicles as i think they use the same rear prop length.

Steve

Unfortunately at present I can neither confirm nor deny whether these fit a TDCi, since I have one which I bought ages ago to fit, but as yet haven't had the time to fit it. Crying or Very sad

What I can say is that I am not aware of any reason why it won't fit, and the LT230 is no higher (and the seat box no lower), and no further back than it is on vehicles which we know that tray will fit. I cannot rule out the possibility however that the folk at JLR have found some tricksy and evil way to thwart my plans to fit one.
Post #806460 16th Dec 2019 2:35pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I can confirm that the Mudstuff tilting lid undercubby box fits into a 2009 (MY2010) Puma

https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-cubby-box-locker.html
Post #806465 16th Dec 2019 2:58pm
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I won't probably have enough space to sling it in a below cubby box, and I certainly don't have the space to put a seperate cubby riser in as I already have the FCX Twin Din cubby, and to get that to sit right I've left the front edge flush and raised the back by approx 2" so that it sits flat (makes the arm rest useable as its so small and far back).

Think the drivers area is about the only space big enough as I have approx 30 ways of fusing and about 16 relays to stash, plus woodway handset controller and alpha12x siren unit if I can fit it. I have an MTA 5 Module fusebox set up for this but its managing the cables into and out of it that will be the pig. North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #806478 16th Dec 2019 6:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1