↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > MOT/V5 issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
MOT/V5 issues
The V8 is one year old in my ownership and in for its MOT. I got the dreaded phone call, we have a problem... Shocked

The issue is with the V5! They can't MOT it because it is logged as a green diesel. The .Gov vehicle check has it right, but the MOT checker has it as a diesel! The V5 states petrol 3500cc and the MOT was fine last year.

Now I know it was originally a diesel, but has never been green to my knowledge. Hopefully, just a mix up that a call to DVLA will sort out.

Bit long winded but my question is, on checking the V5 the Revenue weight is stated as 3499 kg? Why would a Ninety be stated as that heavy? Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #805719 10th Dec 2019 9:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The revenue weight should be the kerb weight. However, where that information wasn't available, they seem to enter the upper weight threshold for a Class IV MoT. Above that it becomes Class VII, which I believe is a lot more onerous. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #805727 10th Dec 2019 10:21pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Is it possible that someone has used your vehicle reg to register another vehicle ? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #805775 11th Dec 2019 9:44am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
The revenue weight should be the kerb weight. However, where that information wasn't available, they seem to enter the upper weight threshold for a Class IV MoT. Above that it becomes Class VII, which I believe is a lot more onerous.

I think you'll find that the Revenue Weight is the maximum permitted weight at which the vehicle is legally allowed to operate on the road, and it is therefore generally but not always equal to the Maximum Authorised Mass or Gross Vehicle Weight.

Under some circumstances the Revenue Weight will be less than the MAM or GVW, which simply means that DVSA has restricted the max allowable weight of the vehicle to a lower figure than the manufacturer designed.

The Revenue Weight is, I believe, the only figure used for enforcement purposes as far as overloading is concerned.
Post #805803 11th Dec 2019 1:10pm
blackwolf

As postscript and in reply to the OP, it is quite a common problem find that a Landrover has a Revenue Weigh of 3499kg on the V5, and it seems to be an error that DVLA and its successors in name have perpetuated. A Def 90 with HD suspension has, I believe, a GVW of 2550 kg, so the largest Revenue Weight figure you should find on a Def 90 V5 will not exceed this.

At one time you could correct this by marking the correct figure on the V5 (box 22, IIRC) and returning it to DVLA for amendment, but whether this is still the case I don't know.

In practice there is probably little downside to having the incorrect RW on the V5. If the figure was over 3500kg it would be a problem since your Defender would no longer legally be a Dual Purpose Vehicle, and as a result would be subject to lower speed limits and would require a Class 7 MOT, but under 3500kg I don't think it makes a difference. It would, of course, still technically be an offence to exceed the manufacturer's GVW on the road, even if this is below the RW.
Post #805804 11th Dec 2019 1:22pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
To be honest, all I could find was references to people querying it with the DVLA when the weight of their vehicle was changed for some reason, only to be told that it should be the kerb weight. To be fair though, the more you delve into the search results, the less clear it becomes. I've found queries and conversations going back ten years, many without a clear resolution. I can't find anything official - the term isn't even referenced on the .GOV pages that deal with vehicle weights:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

If you've got a more useful reference then please share. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #805806 11th Dec 2019 1:36pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
An argument with the dvla is pretty much the ultimate example of banging your head against a brick wall.
I moved house and duly sent the V5 to them to register the change.
It came back with the vehicle (110 csw) shown as having 16 seats. I sent it back for the error to be corrected.
They sent me a wad of paperwork to fill in and a warning not to use the vehicle on the road. They wanted all the details, and receipts from the rebuild plus photographs to back up the documentation.
At the end of many phone calls, letters, paperwork filling in, picture taking and responding to questions. I got a new V5 with the number of seats entered as 16 It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #805824 11th Dec 2019 4:46pm
blackwolf

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
To be honest, all I could find was references to people querying it with the DVLA when the weight of their vehicle was changed for some reason, only to be told that it should be the kerb weight. To be fair though, the more you delve into the search results, the less clear it becomes. I've found queries and conversations going back ten years, many without a clear resolution. I can't find anything official - the term isn't even referenced on the .GOV pages that deal with vehicle weights:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

If you've got a more useful reference then please share.

The irony of the Government's official "Vehicle Weights Explained" webpage is that it does nothing of the kind. It is less use than a 404 error.
Post #805834 11th Dec 2019 6:09pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Had the same issue with my V8. I sent the V5 off to log the engine change from 2litre diesel to V8 petrol and a colour change. V5 came back fine, online vehicle enquiry came back fine.

However when it went to MOT the tester said it still showed as a grey diesel (its now blue). He changed it on the system then and there though.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #805875 11th Dec 2019 11:00pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I had daily dealings with the DVLA as it used to be named between 1972 and 2002, they used to be very meticulous in the recording details but for some reason over the years it became slip shod and know at Swansea seemed to care that mistakes were happening. I know of at least two people that have taken court action against them due to increased insurance premium and one that was arrested for driving a Volvo car when the DVLA details showed it as a tractor unit.

I had no end of problems when I purchased the current 110 and swapped the private plate from the Discovery to the 110.
The 110 suddenly became a Discovery 110 with 7 seats instead of 5 with a 3.9L petrol engine instead of a 2.4 L diesel . Fortunately I had photo copies of all the documents which I sent with an explanation, this didn't work as all refence to he 110 disappeared from the records it was only after I threatened them with offences under the data protection act, failing to maintain true and accurate records, did I get the matter resolved and a reimbursement of my costs. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #805915 12th Dec 2019 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1