↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > From hybrid to diesel...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
From hybrid to diesel...
Earlier this year a woman I know bought a Mitsubishi hybrid car. It is a few years old so she is not the first owner. It is a plug in/petrol car. When she bought it she was expounding about how much cheap motoring she would get by using charging points, which are free to use at the moment. Met her today and she is totally disillusioned with the hybrid/petrol car. It seems it is giving very little range when on battery power. She actually got stranded recently. She charged it and set off but 30 miles later she was sitting powerless by the side of the road. She had no petrol in the car as she wanted to run on cheap battery power. She has been running on petrol ever since.
There is obviously a fault with the car. She asked about getting it fixed but she was told it would cost a lot more than the car is worth to go down that road. She is now going to buy …..a diesel. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #804258 1st Dec 2019 12:47am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I had a few merc hybrid loan cars when my other goes in for Service etc honestly shocking mpg / electric range
Post #804259 1st Dec 2019 1:06am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
problem is weight.

When running electric engine is dead weight, when running engine batteries are dead weight. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #804272 1st Dec 2019 9:48am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Re: From hybrid to diesel...
spudfan wrote:
Earlier this year a woman I know bought a Mitsubishi hybrid car. It is a few years old so she is not the first owner. It is a plug in/petrol car. When she bought it she was expounding about how much cheap motoring she would get by using charging points, which are free to use at the moment. Met her today and she is totally disillusioned with the hybrid/petrol car. It seems it is giving very little range when on battery power. She actually got stranded recently. She charged it and set off but 30 miles later she was sitting powerless by the side of the road. She had no petrol in the car as she wanted to run on cheap battery power. She has been running on petrol ever since.
There is obviously a fault with the car. She asked about getting it fixed but she was told it would cost a lot more than the car is worth to go down that road. She is now going to buy …..a diesel.

Whilst I understand the point, running a hybrid like the Outlander with a small electric range with no fuel in the tank is really a bit foolish. Maybe she was missold and told it could something it couldn’t, but that’s is the wrong sort of car for running around on electric power alone.

Incidentally, Mitsubishi themselves have said that very few of them are ever plugged in and folk buy them for the tax benefit mainly. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #804281 1st Dec 2019 11:09am
J77

Scotland 
My old man had an outlander PHEV commercial, 17 miles occasionally 21 was realistic on electric drive but on long drives it’s petrol engine would give mpg figures that would give Miss Thunberg nightmares.

If she wants to go without fuel she’s needs a BEV rather than a PHEV.
Post #804308 1st Dec 2019 4:02pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
As with mot things people are being mis-sold them and given false / duff info to help them 'save the planet'.....
Post #804352 1st Dec 2019 9:11pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Had a Rep in to see me last week. He has been promoted and was talking about whether or not to change his company car. He was saying some of his colleagues had gone for the hybrid BMW 320 and 520's (for tax reasons). Only able to claim back a fixed pence per mile, these cars were eating them out of house and home due to the small mileage available for running by battery and running a 2.0L (or whatever the engines are in a BMW) petrol engine for 98% of the time.

I expect it is buyer (or leaser) beware? If I was driving 10 miles to the town using a petrol engine, then running on battery for my trip through the traffic in a out, then back to the engine for the trip home, this would indeed be helping (in a very small way) of reducing the amount of pollution in my local town or city. If I were a Rep, munching miles and being used to my 50 odd miles to the gallon from my last Beemer, I expect I would be gutted Big Cry
Post #804357 1st Dec 2019 9:36pm
Alex L

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I took delivery of a 330e on Friday, drove 220 miles today of which 31 miles was on full electric from an overnight charge.

I was making progress on the M40 but taking it steady on acceleration until it’s run in and returned an average of just under 60mpg, which I don’t think is bad for a car with almost 300bhp and 480nm.

Click image to enlarge
Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr
Post #804363 1st Dec 2019 10:09pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
We had a consultant in work the other week. Decided a new car was in order, looked at hybrids but went for a diesel Merc GLC. Worked out he now makes money from mileage claims as the car is that good on fuel for him. He was looking at hybrids but the cost per/mile wasn't right for him. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #804577 3rd Dec 2019 12:58pm
ssg

United Kingdom 
We all should be working to increase our CO2 output, lets green the planet!
Electric vehicles have so many hidden CO2 inputs it doesnt add up.
CO2 tax scam by governments! Twisted Evil
Post #804586 3rd Dec 2019 2:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1